Nice job your Honour...

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby gotchya » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 pm

While I believe in the judicial system being respected and the participants who carry out its work. I can't say I agree with the manner in which the judge dealt with the matter. I don't think it appropriate to raise the bail because someone says "adios", I think it is capricious.
Last edited by gotchya on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

To a T
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 am

:roll:
Last edited by To a T on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am

gotchya wrote: I think it is capacious.

I think you mean "capricious" not capacious. And it's not capricious, it's awesome.

Her sure got that woman's attention real quick.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 am

El Conejo wrote:I think you mean "capricious" not capacious.

Yea, typo.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 am

To a T wrote:If you believe in the judicial system being respected, why allow this behaviour?

The fact that she said "adios"?
ImageImage

To a T
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 am

:roll:
Last edited by To a T on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:41 am

I bet it taught her a good life lesson.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 am

VanSmack wrote:Her general behaviour throughout was disrespectful, and belie the situation she was in and the regard she should have shown for it. Flipping him off and swearing at him are pretty much exactly what the definition of contempt of court are.

My comment is with regards to the "adios".

Certainly swearing and cursing could be construed as contempt of court, but contempt of court generally is held at the common law to prevent justice from being brought into disrepute. I don't know that flipping the bird to the judge nessisarily brings the administration of justice into disrepute. What is offensive is not always illegal.

I'm not suggesting she should get bail or that her conduct is appropriate, I just question the raising of bail because one says adios.
ImageImage

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

gotchya wrote:
VanSmack wrote:Her general behaviour throughout was disrespectful, and belie the situation she was in and the regard she should have shown for it. Flipping him off and swearing at him are pretty much exactly what the definition of contempt of court are.

My comment is with regards to the "adios".

Certainly swearing and cursing could be construed as contempt of court, but contempt of court generally is held at the common law to prevent justice from being brought into disrepute. I don't know that flipping the bird to the judge nessisarily brings the administration of justice into disrepute. What is offensive is not always illegal.

I'm not suggesting she should get bail or that her conduct is appropriate, I just question the raising of bail because one says adios.

Her original bail of $5000 was set by the judge was a lowball, because he was trying to be nice given that she was employed, and had no priors. After having a taste of her flippant disrespectful attitude, culminating with the "Adios", he saw fit to call her back and ding her with the standard $10,000 bail, to which she responded with the finger.

One could argue that the manner in which this played out from the judge's standpoint was designed to provoke a response, but at the end of the day, her decorum and lack of respect for the bench was the enabling factor. She chose not to be serious, and chose to treat the judge with disrespect (had she said, "Thank you, your honour, good day!" this would not have made the news). Her choice of "Adios" is what got her into trouble.

Judge reacted appropriately, by any measure. :thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am

SupahDuck wrote:One could argue that the manner in which this played out from the judge's standpoint was designed to provoke a response, but at the end of the day, her decorum and lack of respect for the bench was the enabling factor. She chose not to be serious, and chose to treat the judge with disrespect (had she said, "Thank you, your honour, good day!" this would not have made the news). Her choice of "Adios" is what got her into trouble.

But again what is rude and distasteful is not nessisarily illegal.
ImageImage

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 am

gotchya wrote:But again what is rude and distasteful is not nessisarily illegal.

Nope, but apparently it's contemptible.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am

gotchya wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:One could argue that the manner in which this played out from the judge's standpoint was designed to provoke a response, but at the end of the day, her decorum and lack of respect for the bench was the enabling factor. She chose not to be serious, and chose to treat the judge with disrespect (had she said, "Thank you, your honour, good day!" this would not have made the news). Her choice of "Adios" is what got her into trouble.

But again what is rude and distasteful is not nessisarily illegal.

The bail increase was at his discretion, and the finger was clearly contempt. Again, his discretion, his court. Not sure why we're even arguing this. :nono:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah