TTC Officers - Shocking dilemma.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Re: TTC Officers - Shocking dilemma.

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:And the Mounties that patrolled the airport back then were RCMP Special Constables.

(I had a buddy there at the time...)

McMaster had two retired RCMP members that served there. One a Staff Sergeant, the other an Inspector. The latter had actually been in charge of the Airport Detachment. Interesting stories.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am

VanSmack wrote:
No 20 Year Medal wrote:And the Mounties that patrolled the airport back then were RCMP Special Constables.

Not the whole time, those specials all got converted into full members before the responsibilities shifted to PRP, as well as specials acting in a number of other roles, such as dedicated surveillance units, etc. I'm sure someone can confirm the actual date that all happened. I have worked with several of them over the years. Some of them ended up making great cops, others probably would have been better off staying as specials who were in charge of the Airport lost and found like they were before the re-configuring.

Maybe I misunderstood at the time but didn't they get some sort of special consideration in the transition. I know the Inspector I mentioned was left with a somewhat negative view of that process. Something about "short cuts don't make the real deal".
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Actually, toward the end of their tenure at the airports, they were regular officers. The special program was discontinued prior to that.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:33 am

bunnel wrote:Actually, toward the end of their tenure at the airports, they were regular officers. The special program was discontinued prior to that.
He'd left prior to that for another policing gig.

VanSmack wrote:...Not the whole time, those specials all got converted into full members before the responsibilities shifted to PRP, as well as specials acting in a number of other roles, such as dedicated surveillance units, etc. I'm sure someone can confirm the actual date that all happened. I have worked with several of them over the years. Some of them ended up making great cops...
Yep, he ended up becoming Chief of an Ontario muni service.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Its a shame that this happened at a time when the future of that unit has been in question. Guys that do that stuff tarnish the uniform for everyone else that has to wear it. It is the exact opposite story from what they need right now.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

That is impressive...and not in a good way,
K division.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

VanSmack wrote:Kind of a similar situation in Hamilton this week, although it wasn't in any way LE related, the city did investigations and found that over 30 city road crew employees were fucking the dog all day instead of actually repairing the roads they were assigned, then somehow getting rid of the asphalt, either selling it to third parties or just plain dumping it somewhere, then reporting back that they'd done the work. 29 of them fired and the other 2 suspended for thirty days (the 2 were the only ones who came clean about it when caught).

The sense of entitlement is ridiculous, laying asphalt, even just patching it, is shitty work, I get that, but those guys are paid well for what is essentially unskilled labour. All they had to do was not fuck up and they had a city job and benefits for as long as they wanted it. Virtually every one of the people investigated were found to be pulling these shenanigans, which makes you wonder how rampant it is with the rest of the workers not followed that day. They had to be pretty fuckin' ballsy either way, since every truck had already been fitted with GPS tracking devices years ago, so they had to know someone could have found out that they weren't even going to the areas that they were supposed to be working in.

Sadly that is a culture with some of these type of jobs... it gives everyone a bad name.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I would put money on them blaming their managers/co-workers/anyone but themselves for being fired too. And they will probably appeal through their union.
K division.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Shawshank wrote:I would put money on them blaming their managers/co-workers/anyone but themselves for being fired too. And they will probably appeal through their union.

The sad thing is it is probably something that has been going on so long in that workplace that the guys doing it didn't even think it was wrong or abnormal.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm

VanSmack wrote:Kind of a similar situation in Hamilton this week, although it wasn't in any way LE related, the city did investigations and found that over 30 city road crew employees were fucking the dog all day instead of actually repairing the roads they were assigned, then somehow getting rid of the asphalt, either selling it to third parties or just plain dumping it somewhere, then reporting back that they'd done the work. 29 of them fired and the other 2 suspended for thirty days (the 2 were the only ones who came clean about it when caught).

The sense of entitlement is ridiculous, laying asphalt, even just patching it, is shitty work, I get that, but those guys are paid well for what is essentially unskilled labour. All they had to do was not fuck up and they had a city job and benefits for as long as they wanted it. Virtually every one of the people investigated were found to be pulling these shenanigans, which makes you wonder how rampant it is with the rest of the workers not followed that day. They had to be pretty fuckin' ballsy either way, since every truck had already been fitted with GPS tracking devices years ago, so they had to know someone could have found out that they weren't even going to the areas that they were supposed to be working in.

I heard on one report that these are $40/hr. jobs. Unbelievable that someone, as you say, essentially doing unskilled manual labour for $80,000 a year would risk a "job for life" situation.

But then again, is it really that surprising? How many incredibly stupid things have you come across in your career? I want to think it ISN'T just human nature, but I don't know...

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Shawshank wrote:I would put money on them blaming their managers/co-workers/anyone but themselves for being fired too. And they will probably appeal through their union.

Then they will get their jobs back, plus back pay for the "fired" time, plus win a large settlement from the city for discrimination and wrongful termination.

Thank god there is a union to protect these hard working employees. :roll:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I assume so. In reality, they are lucky they aren't being charged.
K division.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Shawshank wrote:I assume so. In reality, they are lucky they aren't being charged.

Would this affect their chances in the Police application process?

LOL! :smirk: