TTC Officers - Shocking dilemma.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Transitcop
Rookie Member

Re: TTC Officers - Shocking dilemma.

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm

VanSmack, out of curiosity what do you do a for a living?

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm

basketcase wrote:
Mr-C wrote:And yesterday an Ottawa Transit Special Constable was able to stop an armed sexual assault http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/MediaRoom ... 1df05.aspx

That doesn't say it was an armed sexual assault. It says the guy was charged with weapons dangerous. Could mean a whole lot of different things. Even the intimidation charge doesn't mean the bad guy was armed.

One of the charges: CC 272(1)(a) - Sexual assault with a weapon
Local news articles used wording saying he was armed as well. Maybe they did followups to confirm that(?) I just posted the news release. So the guy had some kind of weapon, or the threat of one, but it doesn't say how and if it was being used. And yes this is case of coming across something as opposed to being dispatched to deal with it. (Just pointing out a recent event that seemed related)
Last edited by Mr-C on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Transitcop
Rookie Member

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 pm

VanSmack wrote:
Transitcop wrote:VanSmack, out of curiosity what do you do a for a living?

I'm a cop.

If you're cop and had many dealings with myself and my colleagues, that would most likely make you TPS. Are we not on the same side? You seem to want to argue everything and if you've had all these dealings with us like you said you have, you'd know exactly what we do and respond to. As specials you would have seen us in your division with a body. When we get our status back, you'll see us back in your division transporting bodies again. Why do you keep down playing what we do? I don't get it.

Transitcop
Rookie Member

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 pm

mack_silent wrote:A transit constable, is not equipped with a lethal force option (firearm).
A knife wielding suspect, is equipped with a weapon of lethal force (knife).

I'd suggest transit constable services draft up a proper standard operating protocol for responding to persons wielding lethal weapons.
This protocol should include: 1) contact police 2) keep your distance.

I think there's a bit of confusion or misunderstanding when I say we respond to these types of calls. We do have a policy / mandate such as this, but it doesn't say we don't respond. We get a lot of calls regarding 3rd party reports of someone seen with a knife in their pants or saw someone on a train with a knife. Either way get the call. We respond and assess whether or not we engage or not. Now if its a clear call of someone wielding a blade around the station, then that's something we will most likely observe and wait for TPS. Maybe I wasn't clear, but we don't just blindly run in to weapons calls without a plan of engagement or withdrawal.

Transitcop
Rookie Member

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 pm

VanSmack wrote:I'm not TPS, but I have been at Davisville with MB numerous times over the last while. Just because you are following policies or practices that put you in unneccesary harm doesn't mean that you should, I'm not downplaying what you guys do, but what your mandate is supposed to be and what your job is supposed to be is exactly what I described. When you get S/Cst. status your mandate will expand again, but that still doesn't mean that you should be going to knife calls without a lethal force option at your disposal.

I don't know why you seem to be taking this all so personally, it was a discussion about how 8 guys were getting paid extremely well to do a job and somehow wanted to steal more form the taxpayers by committing a very elaborate fraud. If you don't recognize that you're getting paid close to what TPS constables make (and more than some Cst. in other places) to do only a fraction of the scope of work that they do, and in the process appreciate that you have a pretty sweet gig as a result, than that's not my problem, it's yours. I have no problem with TEO's, and have no problem with them having S/Cst. status either, but I think a more realistic option is putting actual cops there (regardless of whether they are TPS cops or otherwise) if the volume and nature of the calls are as heavy as you suggest they are.

It's been a long day...so I'm not sure what you mean by MB. But the original topic of these guys screwing up a good paying job...absolutely. You won't hear an argument from me on this one!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 pm

No, "We" are not on the same side.

Either you are a cop, or you are not.

The emphasis on being a cop as opposed to some thing else like a Transit Security Guard is specific to the lifestyle being a cop forces onto the one who bears the burden on his/her shoulders.

On and Off Duty.

And includes what your immediate loved ones are forced to endure as a cop family.

Many jobs are similar, but they are not the same.

I will always shut that down whenever I hear that.

I am a cop.

You are not.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Transitcop
Rookie Member

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm

A.T.R. wrote:No, "We" are not on the same side.

Either you are a cop, or you are not.

The emphasis on being a cop as opposed to some thing else like a Transit Security Guard is specific to the lifestyle being a cop forces onto the one who bears the burden on his/her shoulders.

On and Off Duty.

And includes what your immediate loved ones are forced to endure as a cop family.

Many jobs are similar, but they are not the same.

I will always shut that down whenever I hear that.

I am a cop.

You are not.

Firstly I never said I was police officer. I said we are on the same side, meaning we deal with the same shitheads a cop comes across. Do you have any idea how many P/C assist calls I've responded to in subway stations and have been on scene prior to their fellow cops? More than I can count pal. I will always shut down a cop who thinks he's better than everyone else!

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm

VanSmack wrote: I think a more realistic option is putting actual cops there (regardless of whether they are TPS cops or otherwise) if the volume and nature of the calls are as heavy as you suggest they are.

TPS appears to have tried that route, and said nope.

Next logical step(s) then would be

a) Fully Armed specials ala Niagara Parks
b) Railway Police Appointment
c) ammended PSA to have some sort of category akin to BC's Designated Constable.

I can see a lasting peace agreement and this current shithole where I am becoming a tourist mecca, before any of the above happens.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Transitcop wrote:Firstly I never said I was police officer. I said we are on the same side, meaning we deal with the same shitheads a cop comes across. Do you have any idea how many P/C assist calls I've responded to in subway stations and have been on scene prior to their fellow cops? More than I can count pal. I will always shut down a cop who thinks he's better than everyone else!

Again with the hero stuff. I'm gonna go with three times. Just to amuse you.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Transitcop
Rookie Member

Postby Transitcop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

VanSmack wrote:Niagara Parks are not specials, they are their own police service.

And I'm completely cool with setting up a metrolinx wide police service like SCBCTAPS.

Niagara Parks Police ARE special constables, appointed by the Niagara Police Services Board, and approves through the Ministry. That's right from their website.