Star reporter on those darn talking and driving cops

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
York
Rookie Member

Star reporter on those darn talking and driving cops

Postby York » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 am

Driving and talking on the phone okay for police, but not the public

There are two sets of rules – one for drivers and another that allows police to do things for which they’d bust the rest of us.

I was driving west on Upper Gerrard St. about 1.30 p.m. Thursday when I pulled up behind a Toronto Police cruiser stopped at a traffic signal at Victoria Park Ave.

The light turned green and away we went, with me behind the cruiser. I soon noticed it was weaving a bit and going faster than traffic in the lane beside it.

I stopped again behind the cruiser at Gerrard and Main, but this time, I was wondering about the erratic driving, so I looked hard at the exterior mirror attached to the door on the driver’s side.

I could see in the mirror that the cop’s left hand was holding something up to his ear, and his mouth was moving. There was no one else in the car with him. It was clear that he was talking on his cell phone.

For the record, it was cruiser 5103, with Ontario license plate AYES 033.

We continued along towards Woodbine Ave., with me in the curb lane behind the cruiser, which hit speeds well above the 40 k/ph limit and continued to wander across the line between the curb and inner lanes.

He got into the left-turn to go south on Woodbine - the same direction I was going – and continued to hyold the phone to his ear through the turn and all the way down to Queen St., speeding up and slowing down for no apparent reason.

The officer finally ended the call south of Queen, where Woodbine curves to the west and become Lake Shore Blvd. I could see that he was no longer holding the phone to his ear. But he was on it again as soon as we got past Coxwell, which had me thinking he started dialing someone else as soon as he was done the first call.

We parted company at the on-ramp to the westbound Gardiner, where he veered right and stayed on Lake Shore, talking all the time and steering with one hand.

I’m no cop, but if I was, and the car in front of me was not a cruiser, I would have pulled the driver over and written him a ticket for distracted driving, which carries a fine that can range from $155 to $500.

I was tempted to try to get alongside of him and wag my finger, but I would have had to go at least 80 k/ph on the Lake Shore. I figured I’d be busted by an officer fishing for speeders with a radar gun. It’s happened to me before.

Which is why it is so annoying to watch a cop flagrantly ignore the rules he is sworn to enforce.

I know what he’d do if it was the other way around.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thefixer/2012/ ... 70b28b970c

Someone should teach "The Fixer" that police in Ontario are exempt in the course of their duties. Why does this douchebaggery never end with the Star?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Re: Star reporter on those darn talking and driving cops

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 am

Because it's the Red Star. Super Sleuth Reporter Boy is obviously familiar enough with the H.T.A. section regarding hand-held devices to quote the fine structure, so one would think that he`s also familiar with 78.1(4)(a)
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) the driver of an ambulance, fire department vehicle or police department vehicle;
a fact he`s conveniently glossed over in order to meet his mandate of pandering to the morally outraged, indignent, wailing, hand-wringing lefties that read this rag.

I wouldn`t wipe my ass with this paper...
Last edited by No 20 Year Medal on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 am

What a douche.

I wouldn't read the Toronto Star if they paid me.

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I think a lot of people know about exemption, I was sitting in a parking lot on my phone, parked, and I had an idiot come and complain about the fact that the police could talk and drive and he couldn't.
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:12 pm

HTP wrote:I think a lot of people know about exemption, I was sitting in a parking lot on my phone, parked, and I had an idiot come and complain about the fact that the police could talk and drive and he couldn't.

yet you were parked.... :ponder:

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:I wouldn`t wipe my ass with this paper...

Why let facts get in the way of reporting?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:58 pm

When people make a big deal about me talking on my phone while driving a cruiser, I just smile and wave at them.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Best part is the comments section below where two posters put down that the police are allowed to use a cell phone while driving.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I have to say, I think in this case (ie: cell phone use while driving) we're our own worst enemy. The act says "while engaged in the performance of their duties". Yes, I suppose technically anytime you're driving a police vehicle while you're working meets the definition, but why poke the bear? If your traffic unit would jam joe citizen for taking that call from his wife while he's driving to work, does it look any better for us to do the same in a marked car? We take enough heat on other things, this one is so easy to make it a non-issue with just a little thought. Just my opinion.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm

opp2 wrote:
Canadian Blue wrote:Best part is the comments section below where two posters put down that the police are allowed to use a cell phone while driving.

We are???

Right there in black and white:
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) the driver of an ambulance, fire department vehicle or police department vehicle;

(b) any other prescribed person or class of persons;

(c) a person holding or using a device prescribed for the purpose of this subsection; or

(d) a person engaged in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

(5) Subsection (1) still applies to opp2 regardless of occupational status.

Oh, wait a minute, there's the problem.

SourSkittles
Rookie Member

Postby SourSkittles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 pm

So the reporter just admitted to breaking the law (while the officer is exempt) :o
Aim low and you will succeed.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.