Border Security Canada: Episodes Now Online

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
John014
Seasoned Member

Re: Border Security Canada: NatGeo (w/Preview)

Postby John014 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Homer wrote:Just saw this:

http://www.680news.com/news/national/ar ... nth-period

So - over 6 months you process some 45 million travellers and ONLY 1,105 complaints filed across the whole of CBSA? Good job!

*edit to add link

And I think only a little over 100 of those were even found valid.

With these numbers I think a congratulations is in order for the obvious professionalism that occurs every day.

Way to be awesome my fellow BSO'S :drinking:
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Agreed. I wonder how many of those complaints were for officers actually enforcing the laws and the people just being pissed off they were caught/had to pay. For example, trying to come across the border and a BSO actually making them pay duties on the excess booze. Could you believe the nerve....
K division.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 am

Shawshank wrote:Agreed. I wonder how many of those complaints were for officers actually enforcing the laws and the people just being pissed off they were caught/had to pay. For example, trying to come across the border and a BSO actually making them pay duties on the excess booze. Could you believe the nerve....

Either that or complain because the BSO didn't ask them how wonderful their trip was and didn't give them a hug and a lolly.

Mtl-Asf
Rookie Member

Postby Mtl-Asf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:29 am

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM

crenom
Rookie Member

Postby crenom » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Caught a couple of episodes recently.
One guy had a conviction for assault with conditions about owning/possessing weapons.
He said he didn't have anything on him or in his vehicle so they searched his car and found a baton in his glove box. He played dumb and when he got detained to wait for the RCMP, his girlfriend said it was hers. They let him go and he said he was pissed because he felt like he was wrongly accused. 88)
Guess I should start checking my car before I go anywhere to make sure nobody has secretly put a baton or handgun in it.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:52 am

Punisher-One wrote:
Either that or complain because the BSO didn't ask them how wonderful their trip was and didn't give them a hug and a lolly.

To be fair, a lolly at the border would be nice on a long road trip.
K division.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 am

Shawshank wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:

Use the suggestion portion on CBSA's website to suggest that we provide lollys to all travellers. I am actually 100% sure they would do it.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:29 am

Punisher-One wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

Use the suggestion portion on CBSA's website to suggest that we provide lollys to all travellers. I am actually 100% sure they would do it.

Just make sure that you offer sugar-free lollys too. Otherwise you are just looking for a lawsuit from a diabetic client.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 pm

crenom wrote:Caught a couple of episodes recently.
One guy had a conviction for assault with conditions about owning/possessing weapons.
He said he didn't have anything on him or in his vehicle so they searched his car and found a baton in his glove box. He played dumb and when he got detained to wait for the RCMP, his girlfriend said it was hers. They let him go and he said he was pissed because he felt like he was wrongly accused. 88)
Guess I should start checking my car before I go anywhere to make sure nobody has secretly put a baton or handgun in it.

I'll be honest, those episodes seemed a little "sugar coated" in that those cases seemed really clear cut and relatively simple. I'm not saying the officers didn't go a good job, just I don't think it truly encompasses what BSO's do on a daily basis.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:24 pm

crenom wrote:I'll be honest, those episodes seemed a little "sugar coated" in that those cases seemed really clear cut and relatively simple. I'm not saying the officers didn't go a good job, just I don't think it truly encompasses what BSO's do on a daily basis.

What reality TV show isn't? COPS has at least one high speed chase per episode, usually for a stolen car.

The other thing is that if it's like COPS, the accused has to sign a release. I can just imagine the guy with a gut full of drugs saying sure you can show me and and the recovery on TV.
"Semper in faecibus, sumus sole profundum variat"

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 am

Last edited by Protector24 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cn80n
Rookie Member

Postby cn80n » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 am

gotchya wrote:I'll be honest, those episodes seemed a little "sugar coated" in that those cases seemed really clear cut and relatively simple. I'm not saying the officers didn't go a good job, just I don't think it truly encompasses what BSO's do on a daily basis.

I haven't see any episodes yet, but I would be surprised if they didn't specifically choose generaly simple cases to show - 90% of the viewing public can only be described as "generally simple", so the content needs to fit the target audience.
legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus

OnTalyn
Seasoned Member

Postby OnTalyn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 am

I liked the theme song, although it is an 80's flashback to high school so that probably has something to do with it.

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm

gotchya wrote:
crenom wrote:Caught a couple of episodes recently.

I'll be honest, those episodes seemed a little "sugar coated" in that those cases seemed really clear cut and relatively simple. I'm not saying the officers didn't go a good job, just I don't think it truly encompasses what BSO's do on a daily basis.

I don't get NatGeo but I read the little description on the TV Guide and I agree, it sounds like pretty routine stuff. If you watched the interview with the BSOs that someone posted, the anchor asks "tell me about an interesting case". And the one says "once I had a guy, and I asked him if he had any criminal convictions, and he said no... So I looked at his record, and turned out he did have some!" :o !

It's kind of like reading the monthly enforcement stats for Pigeon River and Fort Frances... Why they even bother making a press release and posting it on the CBSA site is beyond me.

http://cbsa.gc.ca/media/menu-eng.html

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm

smarmy_rebel wrote:It's kind of like reading the monthly enforcement stats for Pigeon River and Fort Frances... Why they even bother making a press release and posting it on the CBSA site is beyond me.

Because it shows people that even at those small ports of entry there are inadmissible people that try to cross, it allows the public to see that they serve a purpose and are just as important as the larger borders. If the government goes to cut staff..people knows what is going on.

Personally, I think every Port of Entry should public monthly enforcement reports, it enhances public knowledge and in fact it was recommended in a Senate Report on Border Security (Borderline Insecure).
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Commi ... un05-e.pdf

The Committee's conclusions are that:
1. "The border" represents a rare opportunity for society, through government, to monitor and assess who and what comes and goes. It should not be wasted.
2. To take advantage of that opportunity, the government needs to continue the shift of border priorities that has already begun away from revenue generation and toward security.
3. Ordinary Canadians do not have any way of knowing how effectively border security policies are being implemented. They should.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage