Ummm WOW

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Ummm WOW

Postby Dudley DoRight » Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 pm

I was told by a Sihk who was a RCMP Member, that the religion did NOT require the wearing of a turban and that anyone who insisted that it did, was a liar with a political agenda who wished to make a political statement or was using it for self-advancement. This is what he told us and it was why he didn't wear one.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I saw one CF member wearing one. We called him "the one".
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't think a uniform should be changed to accomodate a small minority of people. These people know what is expected of them in terms of uniform when they decide they want to be a cop. If that doesn't suit them, feel free to find another line of work. Personal opinion.
Here are some definitions of the word uniform:
1. Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.
2. Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.
3. Being the same as or consonant with another or others.
4. Unvaried in texture, color, or design.
By definition, allowing any change or alteration of a uniform ceases to make it a "uniform".
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Maximum_Mu
Sage Member

Postby Maximum_Mu » Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

VanSmack wrote:
NatoBro wrote:What about this guy?

What about him? Did you take that photo yourself, or did you actually have to go looking for it? The vast majority of people in this country will never personally see a Mountie in any uniform with a turban on. Those who are looking for a picture of it can spend less than 10 seconds on Google if they want to, but as we have seen in this thread, those same people can find a picture of a member of TPS in a Hijab if they wanted to, regardless of authenticity.

This guy is Baltej S. Dhillon. Proudly worked with him on GD at his first post, he taught me who Guru Nanuk was, his mother was a hell of a cook, we became fathers together, had some great scraps together on the banks of the Fraser River, he don't like OC in his imported mango juice, he's a good shit.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm

meathead1 wrote:I don't think a uniform should be changed to accomodate a small minority of people. These people know what is expected of them in terms of uniform when they decide they want to be a cop. If that doesn't suit them, feel free to find another line of work. Personal opinion.
By definition, allowing any change or alteration of a uniform ceases to make it a "uniform".

Then you have the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat May 12, 2012 1:24 am

meathead1 wrote:I don't think a uniform should be changed to accomodate a small minority of people. These people know what is expected of them in terms of uniform when they decide they want to be a cop. If that doesn't suit them, feel free to find another line of work. Personal opinion.

You would think so.

HoboWithAShotgun
Veteran Member

Postby HoboWithAShotgun » Sat May 12, 2012 5:48 am

Duty turbans look kick ass if they have the badge and colouring of the uniform. Kind of reminds me of Kabir Bedi from Octopussy...Now that guy was bad ass.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat May 12, 2012 8:31 am

I daresay if one of us had photoshopped a university constable uniform to make them look stupid there'd be no end to the bitchery.

Just don't make it pink......that's all I ask. LOL
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

JennyRN
Rookie Member

Postby JennyRN » Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 am

devilwoman wrote:
I daresay if one of us had photoshopped a university constable uniform to make them look stupid there'd be no end to the bitchery.

Just don't make it pink......that's all I ask. LOL

:thumbsup:

johnq

Postby johnq » Sat May 12, 2012 11:11 am

I think that if people want to wear religious headwear while in uniform that can be easily accommodated. Unless there is an operational reason why the particular item of clothing is unsafe, I can't see why people shouldn't be allowed to wear it. For example, if a muslim woman wanted to wear her Hijab while doing office duties or even working in a school liason/community constable role, I can't see why anybody would have any objections other than due to lack of respect or understanding of her culture. Similarly, I don't see why anybody would have a problem with an orthodox Jewish officer wearing a yarmulka provided it wouldn't interfere with the safety of himself or others. Religious clothing is very important to certain people in certain cultures, and to suggest that they are therefore unfit for a particular line of work in Canada if they can't "dress like Canadians" is just knee-jerk reaction and bigotry.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sat May 12, 2012 11:23 am

Maximum_Mu wrote:
VanSmack wrote:
NatoBro wrote:What about this guy?

What about him? Did you take that photo yourself, or did you actually have to go looking for it? The vast majority of people in this country will never personally see a Mountie in any uniform with a turban on. Those who are looking for a picture of it can spend less than 10 seconds on Google if they want to, but as we have seen in this thread, those same people can find a picture of a member of TPS in a Hijab if they wanted to, regardless of authenticity.

This guy is Baltej S. Dhillon. Proudly worked with him on GD at his first post, he taught me who Guru Nanuk was, his mother was a hell of a cook, we became fathers together, had some great scraps together on the banks of the Fraser River, he don't like OC in his imported mango juice, he's a good shit.

He didn't like OC in his mango juice? There *has* to be a story there! :smirk:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

BossMan
Sage Member

Postby BossMan » Sat May 12, 2012 12:23 pm

It's a hat, who cares! A hat has never made a good Police Officer, as long as they are solid, capable and have my back I could care less what's on their head as long as it's not a safety issue.

Long gone are the day's of a Police service being made up of only large white christian males who all look alike and believe in the same things.

Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 pm

I could care less if a Member wears a turban or not. I am against not wearing a helmet. I also get annoyed when you take a group photo of RCMP Members and each member looks totally different then the one next to them. One is wearing their external, one is wearing their internal, every belt has some random non-issue stuff on it and someone will just look plain sloppy. They are wearing five different kinds of jackets and three different issue pants based on how much service they have and what is lying around in the detachment. If people are offended about tradition then why not get upset when they abolished ties? Now some wear one, some don't depending on their CO's personal preference.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sat May 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Minimum Wage Warrior wrote: If people are offended about tradition then why not get upset when they abolished ties?

Because ties were always stupid looking. That's the kind of tradition you don't lament the passing of.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?