Walmart greeters

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Gard
King Poobah

Re: Walmart greeters

Postby Gard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Sumo_CPO wrote:Don't try to convince me that you'll just stand there and let yourself be treated like a criminal.

Nope, but I have no problem stopping if they don't want me to leave and showing that I have nothing on me of concern. If I feel that I haven't been treated legally or ethically I will be following it up through the appropriate means, not duking it out and causing a huge scene at the front of the store.

Citizens are always told that if they feel that they are the subject of a wrongful arrest by the police that they are not to resist but to deal with it through a lawyer. Much the same principle. I wouldn't be scrapping with the LPO - I'd be more interested in making sure that I have all my ducks in a row for follow-up.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Obviously you're a more rational and level headed person than I am, then.

Which won't be a surprise to anyone who actually knows me.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

That's quite the fupa.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

DSTYLE
Rookie Member

Postby DSTYLE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Was involved in an altercation about 12 years ago. It wasn't at Walmart, but in a Jean Coutu drug store. Paid for my stuff, walked out the doors, sensors started beeping and first thing I know, some random guy yells at me to stop and grap my left arm....my reaction with my right arm...well he got himself bloody nose. Turns out he was a loss prevention officer. I told him that he had no rights to grab me or to block me from exiting the store because the sensors went off. I asked him , well yell at him: "did you see me steal anything?" He reply "no, but the sensors went off, that means to me that you did steal something". Police arrived withing minutes (cashier called 911 after the punch) and, politely ask me to see my receipt, my purchases and got my side of the story. I said "Sure, when it asked so nicely, I don't have a problem showing my stuff and and receipt, but don't like to be grab like that for no reasons. After review of the security tape, perfect match with my side of the story, I walked out of the store with my purchases (less then 5 min). I felt bad for him, but I guess he learn his lesson...the hard way.

*Edit* No it wasn't a 80 year old greeter....he was about 25 years old.

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 pm

^^^^ Is it just me, or did someone else read the above post with a French accent... :?

DSTYLE
Rookie Member

Postby DSTYLE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm

^^^ ok I'm French...so?

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 pm

DSTYLE wrote:^^^ ok I'm French...so?

So laws are different in France. Over there you're allowed to punch store clerks. It's in the Neapolitan Code.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm

pukie wrote:^^^^ Is it just me, or did someone else read the above post with a French accent... :?

hahahahahahah........... I did.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Four pages to discuss whether you should produce a receipt or maybe double check that something is amiss when a sensor at the door of Wal Mart goes off? :thumbsup:
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Mongo wrote:

So laws are different in France. Over there you're allowed to punch store clerks. It's in the Neapolitan Code.

Come on, da guys, no need to be hassoles.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:19 pm

mack_silent wrote:
Tango5 wrote:That brings a Question, are LPOs allowed to detain and search as per their licensing or what have you?
I am trying to see if the Greeters, perchaps, should call an LPO to do the investigation/search of the bag.
Also, do they have to 'find commiting', or can they act on the info provided by the Greeters?.

LPO's aren't supposed to search customer bags either.
Some companies do have in their *employee* contract for bag searches upon leaving their workplace (does not include purses).
This is to reduce internal loss (employees actually account for *higher* loss amounts than do shoplifters)

LPO's also have to find committing to legally arrest. IE: saw the person select the item from shelf and leave store without paying for it.
Someone not having a receipt at exit, beeping at door sensors, etc. would not give grounds to arrest. (The item in their bag may be something they brought into store)
They (LP/security guards) don't have the RPG ability like police do. Hence a greeter thinking someone is stealing should just observe and report. (IE: take description / report

Thanks.
I have suspected that but wasn't quite sure of the legal status of the LPOs.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Gard wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Come on, da guys, no need to be hassoles.

English pig, I spit in your general direction!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 am

Yeah if I was politely stopped by an LPO and told I was under arrest (knowing I've done absolutely nothing wrong) I would probably go quietly. I'd hope the PC that showed up to the call would investigate it thoroughly though. I'd then hire the biggest ambulance chasing lawyer I could find and sue the store and LP company for as much as I possibly could.

I've done the job. I never made a false arrest because if I wasn't 100% sure there was no way I was risking my future (due to lawsuit or charges) to get a stat....however I knew LPs that were much less careful and much more care-free. Many LPs employed by the company I worked for had double-digit false arrests per month.....that's not right.

However if someone runs after me, puts hands on me in an aggressive manor, displays no identification, and attempts to confine me....hell no that is not going to happen.