Walmart greeters

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Walmart greeters

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 pm

My response:

"See that bowl of dicks over there........????"
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Adamv993

Postby Adamv993 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm

How often do the people at the cash register screw up when disarming the anti-theft device on your purchase? :roll:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Adamv993 wrote:How often do the people at the cash register screw up when disarming the anti-theft device on your purchase? :roll:

To the point where the alarms go off so often, they don't matter anymore.
K division.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Shawshank wrote:I had a walmart security guard run out of the store after me. It was late, after work and I was too tired to deal with crap. I had my purchase and was between the sets of doors. I heard from behind me "Sir, sir I need to see your receipt." I kept going. Next thing I know, a private guard from Iron Horse came running after me. I told her there were no grounds for this. She said "I just need to make sure you paid for this." I said that I was now insulted. Her response was that it was Walmart's policy. I said the law states I don't have to show you my receipt, your policy doesn't matter.

I then promptly went home. I was annoyed that they asked to see my receipt when I came from the cash registers, plus the fact that I was pretty much out the door when I was asked for it.

That being said, is it in the contract you sign with Costco that your receipt will be shown at the door? It was a number of years ago I signed up to Costco and I didn't read it anyways.

That's a good point. I'm not a member there, only go with others. But this is what I found. I would make sense if you don't play by their rules, they can revoke you're membership, although I couldn't find anything on penalties for not following this condition.

INSPECTION
Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, bag or other package
when our members and their guests enter or leave our warehouses. Our members and their guests
consent to such inspections when they enter our warehouses.

RECEIPTS
You will be required to show your receipt for the items you purchased at the warehouse exit. This
ensures that our cashiers processed the items you purchased correctly and that you have been
properly charged for your purchases. It is also one of our most effective methods of maintaining

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Bald Man wrote:That's a good point. I'm not a member there, only go with others. But this is what I found. I would make sense if you don't play by their rules, they can revoke you're membership, although I couldn't find anything on penalties for not following this condition.

Can't recall the maximum, but I know it's summary conviction.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 am

mack_silent wrote:
Adamv993 wrote:How often do the people at the cash register screw up when disarming the anti-theft device on your purchase? :roll:

Very often. I used to work loss prevention, and would hear those sensors go off 100+ times a day.
Hence, proper grounds need to be in place to make an arrest / stop a customer. Not just "mere suspicion" brought on by not showing a receipt.

Me too...it would be funny...I'd be walking around and hear it go off...then all the cashiers would stare at me as if expecting me to karate-judo-tackle the person....how little some people know....

I like it when an LP follows me around a WalMart....I used to do that job and can usually spot them a mile away.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:01 am

Bald Man wrote:RECEIPTS
You will be required to show your receipt for the items you purchased at the warehouse exit. This
ensures that our cashiers processed the items you purchased correctly and that you have been
properly charged for your purchases. It is also one of our most effective methods of maintaining

They just look at it for 2 seconds and swipe a highlighter across. They don't check anything.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 am

Force Recon wrote:
mack_silent wrote:

Very often. I used to work loss prevention, and would hear those sensors go off 100+ times a day.
Hence, proper grounds need to be in place to make an arrest / stop a customer. Not just "mere suspicion" brought on by not showing a receipt.

Me too...it would be funny...I'd be walking around and hear it go off...then all the cashiers would stare at me as if expecting me to karate-judo-tackle the person....how little some people know....

I like it when an LP follows me around a WalMart....I used to do that job and can usually spot them a mile away.

I was at the self check out of a grocery store. A guy walked past and didn't slow down. The little old woman who was working the position asked him where he was going. The guy started walking a little bit faster. She took off after him. He ran outside towards a waiting car. Too bad for him, it had just snowed and the place was rather slick and he went ass over tea kettle. HE got up and scrambled towards the car and took off.

What I wonder though, what did the woman think she was going to do? At best, all she would have done was got a license number. But had the guys plan been o run and get the bus, would she have tried to tackle him?
K division.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 am

Do you fucking guys ever stop and think about how you're making life miserable for the poor joe who was to work those jobs?

Is it that big a deal to take a few seconds to show a receipt?

Let's say you guys are working at your jobs as police or peace officers and you ask to speak to a member of the public, but he says "no, not unless I'm under arrest" and walks away, because he can, the first thought that comes to your mind is "asshole", is it not?

Glad to see you guys are out there protecting our rights, even to the point of beating the shit out of some minimum wage citizen doing his job.

Heroes all.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am

They don't check receipts at the Walmart near us, if they did it wouldn't bother me the odd time I'm in there. I just hope and pray when I'm 67 I don't find myself standing there in one of those vests.

I generally avoid shopping at stores where a fair percentage of the clientele smell like deep-fried cigarettes and sweaty buttcrack.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am

I can't keep track of who is a police officer and who isn't, but I'm really surprised at all of the "I tell them to stuff it" attitudes. Greeters / LPOs are doing a crappy job for not very much money, and it only takes a few seconds out of your day to show them your damn receipt.

It's not a question of whether you are legally required to do so - it's a question of just basic courtesy.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

Stix

Postby Stix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, you and you.....panic. The rest of you come with me.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:58 am

Is it that big a deal to take a few seconds to show a receipt?

+1

They are doing a job. Its one thing if they try to grab onto to me or something, but simply stopping me and asking to see my items, I really don't see the harm in that. Nor would I punch them or anything of that nature. Many of these people get little or no training and are, for most intents and purposes, doing what they think is right.
Last edited by devilwoman on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."