Walmart greeters

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Walmart greeters

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Walmart greeters

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:33 pm

You want to search my stuff, better arrest me first.

If I know (obviously) that i did not steal, and the device goes off, and you touch me, Im going to pound the fuck out of you.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:09 pm

I never gave this any thought because I don't think it's happened to me. But I agree, they have no legal authority to search your belongings or person just because a beeper goes off. Only if they arrest you and the greeter would have to see you steel something and inform you that you are under arrest before searching you and your bags which they are not in a position to do or trained to do. I could see this becoming a serious legal problem for Wal-Mart because I don't think they've turned their minds to the implications of a greeter doing this, not to mention the safety concerns.

I like ATR's response.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:43 pm

I've had them simply ask to see my receipt (before making it to the sensors)... usually if you have loose items in the cart that won't fit in bags... no big deal... They just confirm that item is on the receipt and away you go... Most of the times I see the alarm go off, there's usually a bunch of people waking out, so who do you stop?

On a side note, I see ATR's into bondage... arrest first then search / tickle till he pees himself... :P
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

This topic has been brought up before. In fact a certain admin, gave me grief because I had the same response as ATR does now.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:39 pm

What obligation is a patron under to present a receipt to a greeter when leaving the store? Costco does this to. If you say fuck you I'm not showing you anything, there is nothing they can do. Last time I checked police can't randomly stop people and search them, then ask for proof they paid for the groceries they are carrying down the street.

smarmy_rebel
Rookie Member

Postby smarmy_rebel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

The majority of times that I see the beepers go off, people just keep walking and no one even says anything to them.

Or, they walk out, beeper goes off and the person waits there. But no one comes. So they just leave.

It's like the beepers at the library... Is the librarian going to chase the person? I wonder if Seinfeld ever did a bit about that...

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:49 pm

A.T.R. wrote:You want to search my stuff, better arrest me first.

If I know (obviously) that i did not steal, and the device goes off, and you touch me, Im going to pound the fuck out of you.

Every time the thing beeps, I pray to God some dumbass LP punches me in the face when I don't let him search me......I could use a Ferrari. I agree with the OP though. This is a massive liability issue for Wal-mart and I can only assume that more than one person has been given a few thousand dollars in gift cards to go away.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Maximum_Mu
Sage Member

Postby Maximum_Mu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Costco bugs the crap out of me when I've just spent 15 minutes in the line up to check out, and now I'm detained in a line up again by staff with a highlighter double checking what the 2 check out staff just did.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Pretty sure Wal-Mart greeters have peace officer status as per the Code.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Mongo wrote:Pretty sure Wal-Mart greeters have peace officer status as per the Code.

WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Maximum_Mu wrote:Costco bugs the crap out of me when I've just spent 15 minutes in the line up to check out, and now I'm detained in a line up again by staff with a highlighter double checking what the 2 check out staff just did.

Yeah....

I don't bother to wait either.
Some times the person checkin' receipts ignores me as I ignore them, but other times they've pretty much chased me into the parking lot demanding I stop.
I don't.

'make a bit of a scen, but... who cares.

I suppose they could revolk my shopping privleges, but 'never have
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm

I had a walmart security guard run out of the store after me. It was late, after work and I was too tired to deal with crap. I had my purchase and was between the sets of doors. I heard from behind me "Sir, sir I need to see your receipt." I kept going. Next thing I know, a private guard from Iron Horse came running after me. I told her there were no grounds for this. She said "I just need to make sure you paid for this." I said that I was now insulted. Her response was that it was Walmart's policy. I said the law states I don't have to show you my receipt, your policy doesn't matter.

I then promptly went home. I was annoyed that they asked to see my receipt when I came from the cash registers, plus the fact that I was pretty much out the door when I was asked for it.

That being said, is it in the contract you sign with Costco that your receipt will be shown at the door? It was a number of years ago I signed up to Costco and I didn't read it anyways.
K division.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Mongo wrote:Pretty sure Wal-Mart greeters have peace officer status as per the Code.

Hence the blue vest. It's a little known fact, but those vests have a IIIA rating. And those pins are actually tiny rifle plates.