Krav Maga

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
ryan.p
Rookie Member

Krav Maga

Postby ryan.p » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Anybody have any experience with this self defense style? I'm looking at signing up for a few classes.

Any other suggestions? I'm personally not looking at training in arts that are considered sport fighting (with rules and etiquette.) Strictly self defense based and something that may help me carry through to policing.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

gunner065
Rookie Member

Re: Krav Maga

Postby gunner065 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Sounds like Krav Maga would be a great choice for you. There are alot of posts here (vitality, training) with info on it.

In my own opinion....KM is the most appropriate to real life situations. I also took some Japanese Ju-Jitsu but I was turned off by the formality of it. The mumbling in Japanese and bowing all the time got old really fast. And i'm not likely to be in a fight while barefoot and wearing pajamas.....

Anyway, just my take on it. Good Luck !

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

I haven't ever taken Krav Maga, but I know a bit about it and I'd agree that it probably most closely resembles real life fights on the street.
Other discliplines like karate, Jiu Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do etc have their strengths, but they are too "formal" with rules. Krava Maga is basically about winning, and doing whatever it takes to win.
I used to have it saved on my old computer, but it was a list that had the differences between MMA and real life. In MMA (and this applies to all disciplines really), there are rules, a ref, only 1 opponent, rounds, time limits, no weapons etc. None of that applies in the real world. You want something that tries to mimic that as much as possible.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:37 pm

meathead1 wrote:Other discliplines like karate, Jiu Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do etc have their strengths, but they are too "formal" with rules. Krava Maga is basically about winning, and doing whatever it takes to win.

That's what attracted me. I'm certainly not knocking people who enjoy discipline fighting styles. It's just not my thing. I would however like some formal training in self defense. Doing whatever it takes to win on the street if ever faced with a offensive threat.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm

This is something a few guys at my Office have been looking into but we can't decide on Krav Maga or Systema. One of the guys is already doing a mix BJJ/Muay thai class that he enjoys. If any one hears about and good (not run by shady types) KM or Systema schools in the GTA please let me know or post it on here.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 pm

ryan.p wrote:Anybody have any experience with this self defense style? I'm looking at signing up for a few classes.

Any other suggestions? I'm personally not looking at training in arts that are considered sport fighting (with rules and etiquette.) Strictly self defense based and something that may help me carry through to policing.

Krav was developed for use by Israeli armed forces and police. Many police services throughout North America train their members in Krav Maga. It is a big workout and I would say very transferable to police training. I have taken up to level 2 and also completed the Law Enforcement KM course, which is only taught to police.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:42 pm

GPZ wrote:
ryan.p wrote:Anybody have any experience with this self defense style? I'm looking at signing up for a few classes.

Krav was developed for use by Israeli armed forces and police. Many police services throughout North America train their members in Krav Maga. It is a big workout and I would say very transferable to police training. I have taken up to level 2 and also completed the Law Enforcement KM course, which is only taught to police.

Can you explain some of the differences? Seems like KM is based around a lot of high damage moves, and I wonder where they draw the line at what is acceptable for civilian and what is not.
K division.

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Shawshank wrote:
GPZ wrote:

Can you explain some of the differences? Seems like KM is based around a lot of high damage moves, and I wonder where they draw the line at what is acceptable for civilian and what is not.

The LE course was taught by a specialized KM instructor. Students wore duty belts with Redman guns and the duty pistol was incorporated into some of the techniques.
KM is mostly about overwhelming an attack with a vigorous counterattack enabling you to get away before you get stomped. LE KM is the same idea replacing "get away" with "arrest".

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:11 am

I took KM for about 6 months back in 2006... Not any real long time by a long shot, but I did enjoy it a lot. It was a great workout, and I liked the concept behind it of "Win the fight however you need to" very practical.

If you're looking for some skills to survive a streetfight, or rather, survive long enough to disengage and GTFO, it's a solid fight class...
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

HollowPoint

Postby HollowPoint » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:38 am

Just started taking it last week and Im loving it. Its a decent workout and pretty useful techniques. Its very easy to pickup because the techniques are based on natural reaction and instinct.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men (and women) stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

I do wrestling, jujitsu (grappling) and muaythai.

If Kravmaga is more convenient for you, go for it better than nothing; but there is a reason why professional fighters do not come from a kravmaga background but rather from boxing, wrestling, etc...

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:27 pm

You need to get into a fight and nearly have the shit kicked out of you.

Learn from it, then decide what you want to pursue afterwards.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm

facetha wrote:I do wrestling, jujitsu (grappling) and muaythai.

If Kravmaga is more convenient for you, go for it better than nothing; but there is a reason why professional fighters do not come from a kravmaga background but rather from boxing, wrestling, etc...

There is also a reason professional fighting bears very little resemblance to street fighting.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 pm

i got into a fight with a guy on the side of a 400 series highway my last night shift, and you know what worked? Punching him in the face hard and repeatedly.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm

meathead1 wrote:i got into a fight with a guy on the side of a 400 series highway my last night shift, and you know what worked? Punching him in the face hard and repeatedly.

I half expected you to say a baton upside the head.
K division.