Thin Ice & Common Sense

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Snowman
Rookie Member

Thin Ice & Common Sense

Postby Snowman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 am

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120309/ice ... 20309.html
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisp ... ?e=3446263
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Articl ... ?e=3496886

"I don't know what else to do. You try to warn these people about staying off the ice, but they just don't listen," Barrie OPP Const. George Silvestri said. "I send out (news) releases saying it's not safe."

Can't believe how many times this winter I have seen guys ice fishing very close to open & moving water or days after well above freezing temps and rain. At what point after all the cautions posted by Police & local conservation authorities should these people start to pay for the consequences of their actions ? :ponder:
Beer Me !

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Thin Ice & Common Sense

Postby Bald Man » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:30 am

make it a provincial offence with a very large sum of money as the penalty, perhaps $5000. This could apply to selected areas were posted, perhaps an ammendment to the TTPA would work? I'm sure the government could craft some legislation to try a deter these idiots from walking on ice.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:38 am

Bald Man wrote:make it a provincial offence with a very large sum of money as the penalty, perhaps $5000. This could apply to selected areas were posted, perhaps an ammendment to the TTPA would work? I'm sure the government could craft some legislation to try a deter these idiots from walking on ice.

Send them the bill for double the cost. We shouldn't have to pay for their stupidity.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 am

Bald Man wrote:make it a provincial offence with a very large sum of money as the penalty, perhaps $5000. This could apply to selected areas were posted, perhaps an ammendment to the TTPA would work? I'm sure the government could craft some legislation to try a deter these idiots from walking on ice.

People have been charged before for the costs of rescues. Especially down in my old neck of the woods in SW Ontario where the US Coast Guard were sometimes called in with a helicopter. It should be standard. Want to be stupid and take a chance after the warnings? You literally, pay the price.
Last edited by NatoBro on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 am

NatoBro wrote:

People have been charged before for the costs of rescues. Especially down in my old neck of the woods in SW Ontario where the US Coast Guard where sometimes called in with a helicopter. It should be standard. Want to be stupid and take a chance after the warnings? You literally, pay the price.

Port Perry would love that! The PPFD has some of the best ice/cold water rescue in the province - they just get so much practice, being on Lake Skidoo-begone (Oops - that should read Scugog).

And walking on thin ice isn't the big problem there, it's driving. Rescue & recovery cost will be well over the $5000 suggested above, so I would go for costs plus a fine.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:47 am

Stop rescuing them. BOOM just solved the problem. Rescuing them is interfering with the natural selection process.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:58 am

meathead1 wrote:Stop rescuing them. BOOM just solved the problem. Rescuing them is interfering with the natural selection process.

Not to mentioned they might win a Darwin award...its win win.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:25 pm

gotchya wrote:
meathead1 wrote:Stop rescuing them. BOOM just solved the problem. Rescuing them is interfering with the natural selection process.

Not to mentioned they might win a Darwin award...its win win.

Great in theory, but I just can't see the powers-that-be going that route.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Constables come up with the greatest ideas but no one listens to us.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:20 pm

How true.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 pm

meathead1 wrote:Constables come up with the greatest ideas but no one listens to us.

That made me smile. Sometimes I wish you called the shots! No nonsense, take no crap. I love it!
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 am

Toonces, if I called the shots, things would be a LOT simpler.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:38 pm

The headline should read "fucking idiots on lake simcoe put rescue workers at risk"
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 pm

basketcase wrote:The headline should read "fucking idiots on lake simcoe put rescue workers at risk and cost taxpayers thousands"

Fixed that for you.
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:48 pm

gotchya wrote:
basketcase wrote:The headline should read "fucking idiots on lake simcoe put rescue workers at risk and cost taxpayers thousands"

Fixed that for you.

Fuck the taxpayers. They have to pay no matter what. The people going out to rescue these idiots are who matter.
OFFICER OF THE LAW