Lawyer with kidnapping conviction admitted to bar

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
gotchya
Rookie Member

Lawyer with kidnapping conviction admitted to bar

Postby gotchya » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 pm

A Toronto man once convicted of helping kidnap a woman and hold her captive has been granted admission to the bar by the Law Society of Upper Canada.

After an Aug. 9 hearing, a law society panel approved Alan Honner’s licence application, writing in its decision the lawyer “is now of good character.”

Honner, 30, pleaded guilty to charges of kidnapping and forcible confinement after helping a family accost and abduct their daughter, Mirella Brun Del Re, from a Hamilton street in 2005. Honner was a friend of Brun Del Re’s brother.

Her family believed she was under the influence of a religious cult and was concerned for her safety, according to an agreed statement of facts.

Reached at the North York law firm where he works, Honner declined comment and referred questions about his case to his lawyer, Andrew Furgiuele.

The panel likely granted Honner admission to the bar because of his candour about his past, Furgiuele said.

“(Honner) didn’t shy away from being up front with prospective employers about this . . . he didn’t try to hide it. He dealt with it.”

Furgiuele called Honner’s offence an “aberration” not likely to be repeated.

“Kidnapping and forcible confinement sound horrible because they are horrible . . . but this was a case that was not a typical kidnapping,” Furgiuele said.

“This was not . . . for ransom. This was not . . . for sexual assault. (Honner) did this to help a family he thought was in distress.”

Ontario’s Law Society Act requires only people with “good character” to be licensed to practise law.

The law society requires Ontario applicants to complete 14 questions and offer two references from the legal profession to determine they are of “good character.”

It may investigate or verify any information supplied.

Earlier this year, 29-year-old Ryan Manilla, an Osgoode Hall graduate, had his application rejected when he failed to meet the law society’s “good character” requirement over his aggressive and bizarre conduct as a member of his condo board.

After being forced into a van in Hamilton, Brun Del Re, then 21, was held against her will for 10 days in a rented cottage in the Halton region.

She was later transferred to her parents’ home, where an American woman tried to “deprogram” her.

Honner did not stay at the cottage, although he visited it once a day. Eventually, Brun Del Re escaped and called police.

Honner was arrested on Sept. 11, 2006, his first day of classes at Osgoode. He pleaded guilty and was given a conditional sentence of 15 months’ house arrest.

Kidnapping and forcible confinement charges against Brun Del Re’s parents were stayed just before the case was to go to trial.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/103 ... ted-to-bar
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: Lawyer with kidnapping conviction admitted to bar

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Just a rhetorical question...... why does a candidate need a LAWYER to be admitted to the bar?? :ponder:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

CICguy
Rookie Member

Postby CICguy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm

I want this guy's number on speed dial for the off chance I'll need a lawyer. If he can bs a jury of his peers. think of what he can do in court

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Ah well, only 10 days. Not like he kept her there for a few months or anything.........

:shock:
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I would like to see all lawyers submit to a criminal records check and disciplinary records check every time they go to trial, after all the police have to. Then we could have the crown attacking this defense lawyers credibility. But in reality, lawyers and judges want to be held accountable to no one.

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 pm

I wonder if somewhere out there is a website like blueline.ca but for lawyers, and somebody posted something along the lines of:

"Hello all, so I have this criminal conviction for forcible confinement and kidnapping, but its really not my fault and it was a long time ago, will that hurt my application?"

JayDeeDoubleYou
Rookie Member

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Whistler wrote:I wonder if somewhere out there is a website like blueline.ca but for lawyers, and somebody posted something along the lines of:

"Hello all, so I have this criminal conviction for forcible confinement and kidnapping, but its really not my fault and it was a long time ago, will that hurt my application?"

:lol:

That post made my day.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Whistler wrote:I wonder if somewhere out there is a website like blueline.ca but for lawyers, and somebody posted something along the lines of:

There is, in fact. I've seen a bunch of those sorts of questions.

And seriously - after reading the article is anybody outraged at this? It seems like a very, very unusual set of facts that is almost certain to never happen again. As well he fully co-operated with police, and with the Law Society.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:40 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:

There is, in fact. I've seen a bunch of those sorts of questions.

And seriously - after reading the article is anybody outraged at this?
It seems like a very, very unusual set of facts that is almost certain to never happen again. As well he fully co-operated with police, and with the Law Society.

I would have expected that type of response from a defense lawyer, yet it doesn't surprise me at all coming from a crown. The crown's are, in part, responsible for the mess our judicial system is in. I think many crown lawyers should really consider pulling their elitist heads out of their asses.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 pm

What elitist attitude? That he thinks it's not a typical kidnapping?

The kidnapping charges in question relate to the guy trying to help a family whose daughter had been brainwashed by a cult. For that he should never be admitted to the bar?

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/WFive/20061027/wfive_pied_piper_061027/

I'd do the same thing if my daughter got swept up in a cult too, as would I imagine, most members of this board.
Hired Goon

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:20 pm

I dunno dude, you don't think that would have a bearing in a Mcneill disclosure? He was convicted....
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Surely there were other 99 other solutions to getting her out of the cult, other than forcibly confining her in a private residence (cottage), and her parent's home?

Sure his solution may have been the most direct, most "Hollywood"-like, most emotionally satisfying, but it wasn't legal..... Good intentions don't change the fact that a law was broken.

That principle could apply in any number of situations.... the previously discussed father-to-be, speeding at 175 km/h to the hospital because his wife was in labour distress..... Most certainly good intentions, but there were multiple ways to intervene differently....

Such situations are going to present themselves again in this lawyer's career..... is he going to let his "good intentions" get in the way of him adhering to the spirit and letter of the law?

Anyone who works in the legal profession has to be held to a higher standard than Joe Citizen, just like those who work in the enforcement professions. This incident calls into question his ability to adhere to that higher standard under pressure..... are we really sure it's just going to be a one-time thing?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:12 pm

What's the big deal? Couple months ago it was a hooker, now it's a kidnapper. Does anyone actually expect more from lawyers? :mrgreen:
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum