When Police Come, Kids Run...

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Toonces
King Poobah

Re: When Police Come, Kids Run...

Postby Toonces » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Gard wrote:No. Just ignore her. That's the thing people like her fear the most.

So very true.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

The minimum requirement to be a police officer should be a bachelors eh? Like that super fancy, ever useful BA in Women's Studies she possesses?
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm

TMLF wrote:
Force Recon wrote:
Technobabbler wrote:I have gone over and over in my mind a bunch of different things to write to her, but I have come to one conclusion. I make it policy to not feed the internet trolls and even though she may be writing for some small paper I am gonna treat her the same way. She is misguided, uninformed and prejudice, nothing I say or write is going change that so I am going to save my breath.

I said the same thing to myself.

She is an over-entitled leftist-educated person with no real-world experience at all.

I won't waste my effort on a email.

Agreed.

She simply is not willing to place blame where is belongs...
Including in her own life...
She obviously has a disconnect from "real life" and cannot parent worth a damn...
"Professional Student"? Hahahahaha... translates to "More money than brains and needs to stay in school to feel important because I can't function in the real world"

IrishCanadian wrote:This is a shining example of how paying $50k for a Bachelors degree means nothing if you're still a clueless idiot with no real world knowledge outside of your academic ivory tower.

:thumbsup:

Good on all of you who took the time to write the editor/"author"... Although I highly doubt it, hopefully the editor will not publish any more of this feces-ridden nonsense again...

:nono:

The editor is Pierre Berton's son, if that gives you any idea.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 am

Do you like apples?
TMLF wrote:Agreed.

She obviously has a disconnect from "real life" and cannot parent worth a damn...

She clearly learned from her father when the tragedy with her brother occurred. Very sad the kid chose to run, no doubt the consequences were terrible, but let's look at the pattern that has emerged...

- underage brother has alcohol and is at some local field party spot. (LLA at least)
- police show up to investigate
- underage and possibly intoxicated brother chose to run with tragic results
*** Lack of accountability ***
- father blames police for investigating this field party with underage drinking in close proximity to the Falls
- 'professional student' can't parent her own child so she calls police to do it for her
- 'professional student' doesn't like police approach - bitches about it in open media

So this 'genius' grew up in a household where consequences were avoided, and others blamed for mistakes made. Now she's all grown up, and blaming others for her mistakes. Guaranteed her daughter ends up just as broken as she is, blaming others or trying to get others to fix her mistakes.

How you like them apples?

I do not have a university degree. It is not at all difficult to get one, but what this oh-so-bright 'journalist' ignores is that obtaining a degree is for the most part, for the privileged. Some kids are great at juggling work, social life, school and athletics. In my youth, I did not do so great at managing all aspects of my life. Thus, I did not get a scholarship for university, and it was made quite clear from grade 11 on the I was on my own for post-secondary due to financial hardship. Looking back, there is no doubt that if I worked harder as a youth, I wouldve gotten into a great school and done well for myself on a scholarship. I made some mistakes and as a result, I learned some valuable things about myself and about the world. The choices I made as a youth inevitably led to where I am today. A lowly college-diploma holding police officer... And I'm pretty damn good at it. When I worked at a university, I took advantage of the benefits which included tuition - I stopped after 2 credits because I couldn't stand the sense of entitlement that the majority of my classmates felt. In my mature age, I've realized that a fancy piece of paper means nothing. I can study history at the library and be much more of an expert than a B.A. Hons. grad, and save myself a TON of money.

Further, I repeat, I do NOT have a university degree, and I've never had to call the police to help parent my child. Perhaps someone should be asking for a refund.

Finally, the majority of youth I come into contact with do NOT run. Perhaps their parents taught them something...
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

boatgirl
Rookie Member

Postby boatgirl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 am

I ran across a blog post recently that touches on this subject. Uses a bit of a different scenario, but presents it in a way that most people never think about. This is written by a paramedic, and has it's own bias, but it's certainly interesting to think about.

http://burnedoutmedic.com/2011/07/pigging-apart-cops-actions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+burnedoutmedic+%28Burned-Out+Medic%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

In the original article's scenario, how would the writer (and the public) have felt if those same teenagers had died due to alcohol poisoning or had their fire go out of control because the police didn't intervene? What if those kids got drunk and ended up fighting each other, or assaulting members of the public? The what if's are end less, but at the end of the day, every moment of a person's life is a decision made, just few have them scrutinized as carefully as members of law enforcement do.
E Division - Vancouver Island
Troop 17: March 7-August 27, 2012

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 am

In my mature age, I've realized that a fancy piece of paper means nothing. I can study history at the library and be much more of an expert than a B.A. Hons. grad, and save myself a TON of money.

Speaking as someone who has contact, on a regular basis, with people who are "educated", I've learned one thing.....you may be educated, it doesn't mean you're intelligent.

I'm not trashing peeps with degrees....I'm just saying its not the be all and end all for police officers.

FYI, I basically took my original email to Shkimba, reworded it (replace "you" for "Shkimba") and sent it in to the opinion desk. Doubtful it will get posted....but I gave it the good old "college" try. ;)
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 am

Toonces wrote:Do you like apples?

She clearly learned from her father when the tragedy with her brother occurred. Very sad the kid chose to run, no doubt the consequences were terrible, but let's look at the pattern that has emerged...

- underage brother has alcohol and is at some local field party spot. (LLA at least)
- father blames police for investigating this field party with underage drinking in close proximity to the Falls
- 'professional student' can't parent her own child so she calls police to do it for her
- 'professional student' doesn't like police approach - bitches about it in open media

So this 'genius' grew up in a household where consequences were avoided, and others blamed for mistakes made. Now she's all grown up, and blaming others for her mistakes. Guaranteed her daughter ends up just as broken as she is, blaming others or trying to get others to fix her mistakes.

How you like them apples?

I do not have a university degree. It is not at all difficult to get one, but what this oh-so-bright 'journalist' ignores is that obtaining a degree is for the most part, for the privileged. Some kids are great at juggling work, social life, school and athletics. In my youth, I did not do so great at managing all aspects of my life. Thus, I did not get a scholarship for university, and it was made quite clear from grade 11 on the I was on my own for post-secondary due to financial hardship. Looking back, there is no doubt that if I worked harder as a youth, I wouldve gotten into a great school and done well for myself on a scholarship. I made some mistakes and as a result, I learned some valuable things about myself and about the world. The choices I made as a youth inevitably led to where I am today. A lowly college-diploma holding police officer... And I'm pretty damn good at it. When I worked at a university, I took advantage of the benefits which included tuition - I stopped after 2 credits because I couldn't stand the sense of entitlement that the majority of my classmates felt. In my mature age, I've realized that a fancy piece of paper means nothing. I can study history at the library and be much more of an expert than a B.A. Hons. grad, and save myself a TON of money.

Further, I repeat, I do NOT have a university degree, and I've never had to call the police to help parent my child. Perhaps someone should be asking for a refund.

Finally, the majority of youth I come into contact with do NOT run. Perhaps their parents taught them something...

This would be a good comment to send...just as it is.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:28 am

Toonces wrote:Do you like apples?

So this 'genius' grew up in a household ... <Snipped for length>... because I couldn't stand the sense of entitlement that the majority of my classmates felt. In my mature age, I've realized that a fancy piece of paper means nothing. I can study history at the library and be much more of an expert than a B.A. Hons. grad, and save myself a TON of money.

Well said!
I think that you're right on target.

devilwoman wrote:
In my mature age, I've realized that a fancy piece of paper means nothing. I can study history at the library and be much more of an expert than a B.A. Hons. grad, and save myself a TON of money.

Speaking as someone who has contact, on a regular basis, with people who are "educated", I've learned one thing.....you may be educated, it doesn't mean you're intelligent.

I'm not trashing peeps with degrees....I'm just saying its not the be all and end all for police officers.

<snipped for length>

And again, right on target...

In my humble opinion anyway... ;)
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 am

devilwoman wrote:Speaking as someone who has contact, on a regular basis, with people who are "educated", I've learned one thing.....you may be educated, it doesn't mean you're intelligent.

I agree DW.

In my experience I find that a lot of people who have a university degree have spent so much time in school they have lost touch with the realities of the world around them. I find a lot of those people have very little in the way of "street" smarts. I'll take a PC with life experience and street-smarts over one with a flashy degree in something that has been provided for any day!

I'm not saying all people with a university degree are like the above, I just notice a higher amount of them are.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Force Recon wrote:In my experience I find that a lot of people who have a university degree have spent so much time in school they have lost touch with the realities of the world around them. I find a lot of those people have very little in the way of "street" smarts. I'll take a PC with life experience and street-smarts over one with a flashy degree in something that has been provided for any day!

I'm not saying all people with a university degree are like the above, I just notice a higher amount of them are.

Now I know you're talking generalizations here, but most of the people I know with university degrees are down to earth people with a lot of street smarts. Heck, it doesn't take much to get a degree these days - not like in the old days (say pre-1970) when it truly was for the "elite" of society. Now you just need to be willing to take on several thousand dollars of debt and a degree can be yours!

It's the ones who stay in academia as a career that lose touch with the world around them. Mainly because the only people they associate with are fellow academics.... or research subjects. Or their lab rats. Kinda like if law enforcement officers only ever talked to law enforcement officers without ever seeing another perspective.

But the original opinion piece author is still a tool.

BossMan
Sage Member

Postby BossMan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 pm

I think i'm just gonna email her and call her a cunt. Less typeing and I'm sure the responce will be about the same.

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

BossMan wrote:I think i'm just gonna email her and call her a cunt. Less typeing and I'm sure the responce will be about the same.

Thanks man thanks....

Trying to explain to my IT guy firstly, why I'm on Blueline, and secondly why there is coffee all over my keyboard...
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

JayDeeDoubleYou
Rookie Member

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:34 pm

BossMan wrote:I think i'm just gonna email her and call her a cunt. Less typeing and I'm sure the responce will be about the same.

That's an insult to cunts.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Can you add my email to that too? That C word makes me laugh.
!!!2008!!!