any thoughts or experiences on how to handle marriage and ch

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
wpg hopeful
Rookie Member

any thoughts or experiences on how to handle marriage and ch

Postby wpg hopeful » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am

Just curious for those of us who have families and marriages before getting into Law Enforcement, any suggestions how to still be a functional Partner/Parent?
Thanks
D Division
RPAB: May 16, 2012
Results: June 4, 2012
Pkg Received: June 6, 2012
PARE: Re-scheduled
Pkg Sent: July 25, 2012
RMSI:
Polygraph:

wpg hopeful
Rookie Member

Re: any thoughts or experiences on how to handle marriage and ch

Postby wpg hopeful » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:16 pm

ha ha 41 views and no relpies yet?
D Division
RPAB: May 16, 2012
Results: June 4, 2012
Pkg Received: June 6, 2012
PARE: Re-scheduled
Pkg Sent: July 25, 2012
RMSI:
Polygraph:

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 pm

wpg hopeful wrote:Just curious for those of us who have families and marriages before getting into Law Enforcement, any suggestions how to still be a functional Partner/Parent?
Thanks

I think the reason you've had 41+ views and no replies is because those of us who had families and marriages before getting into Law Enforcement, strangely enough now have families and marriages after getting into Law Enforcement.

The fact that you've chosen to be a LEO is not going to change your family life.

What will put stress on the relationship(s) are two major things: shift work (i.e. not being able to go to your kid's games or tuck them in), and the personal safety risk (your family wondering if you'll come home at night). There are others of course, but those two are big ones.

There are workarounds for the scheduling issues, as I know quite a few fellow officers at my workplace to manage to have kids that play all sorts of sports, or coach teams themselves, and they work the same shifts I do.

As for the personal safety risk, that's something you accept when you sign up for the job, and your vocation (your calling, your innate need to do the job) is something that makes that risk acceptable and manageable. Your spouse and family need to be aware and accepting of your vocation to the job, and the risk that goes with it.

But they knew that about you already (one would hope) so you starting a job as a LEO shouldn't change anything. Right? :D
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:50 pm

The effects on your marriage are directly proportional to the amount of time you spend in a scout car with a PW.... :banghead:

Costello
Rookie Member

Postby Costello » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement: A Guide for Officers and Their Families by Kevin M. Gilmartin is a great book for you and your partner to read.

Just my thoughts.
Don't sweat the small stuff and the big stuff will take care of itself!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:43 pm

I would have to agree with you Costello the book you speak of it is a great book.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 pm

pukie wrote:The effects on your marriage are directly proportional to the amount of time you spend in a scout car with a PW.... :banghead:

I thought you started this topic... out of the billions of possible avatars out there, the OP chose your's (which I see you've since removed).

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 pm

I think I got rid of it a couple years ago...and Winnipeg...give your head a shake!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:34 pm

pukie wrote:I think I got rid of it a couple years ago...and Winnipeg...give your head a shake!

Awe, it only seems like the other day... the crazy things that stick in my mind... crazy I tell you! :twitch:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
wpg hopeful wrote:Just curious for those of us who have families and marriages before getting into Law Enforcement, any suggestions how to still be a functional Partner/Parent?
Thanks

I think the reason you've had 41+ views and no replies is because those of us who had families and marriages before getting into Law Enforcement, strangely enough now have families and marriages after getting into Law Enforcement.

The fact that you've chosen to be a LEO is not going to change your family life.

What will put stress on the relationship(s) are two major things: shift work (i.e. not being able to go to your kid's games or tuck them in), and the personal safety risk (your family wondering if you'll come home at night). There are others of course, but those two are big ones.

There are workarounds for the scheduling issues, as I know quite a few fellow officers at my workplace to manage to have kids that play all sorts of sports, or coach teams themselves, and they work the same shifts I do.

As for the personal safety risk, that's something you accept when you sign up for the job, and your vocation (your calling, your innate need to do the job) is something that makes that risk acceptable and manageable. Your spouse and family need to be aware and accepting of your vocation to the job, and the risk that goes with it.

But they knew that about you already (one would hope) so you starting a job as a LEO shouldn't change anything. Right? :D

Well, I'm in a little bit of a different situation than most I guess, but I will say this:
If you get deployed, bring your family with you right then and there... do not try to 'wait it out' for the next one to come along...
Based on the information that I was given, we decided that we could do the long distance thing, however the time period has changed drastically from what I was originally told.
We're still doing the long distance thing, but man it is hard.
I've missed my son growing through his 3rd year...
I will regret that forever and no career is worth that.
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 pm

It's a job like any other. Treat it like that and you'll be fine. Let it "define" you and you'll have problems.

CO

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:01 am

CourtOfficer wrote:It's a job like any other. Treat it like that and you'll be fine. Let it "define" you and you'll have problems.

CO

CO and I rarely agree on things, but I couldn't have said it any better than that, nail on the head.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 am

CourtOfficer wrote:It's a job like any other. Treat it like that and you'll be fine. Let it "define" you and you'll have problems.

CO

I agree. I'm now much happier in life now that I've stopped defining myself by what I do for a living. If you do, you're just going to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 am

warden602 wrote:

CO

I agree. I'm now much happier in life now that I've stopped defining myself by what I do for a living. If you do, you're just going to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment.

Working as a CX is a second career for me, so the uniform is just that, some clothes for work. I define myself by the kind of husband, father, brother & son that I am to my family. That is what'll be important long after I'm done working for CSC.

:thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah