Tax Time - Job Related Deductions

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
GPZ
Grand Poobah

Re: Tax Time - Job Related Deductions

Postby GPZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 pm

argyll wrote:http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns237-247/244-eng.html

Thank you - I didn't find that on first search. I often feel like I've been deployed to other planets but can't quite get the Employer on board.....

HoboWithAShotgun
Veteran Member

Postby HoboWithAShotgun » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 pm

I usually claim my cell phone which my sgt signs off on. You can claim black socks, black t shirts, haircuts, or whatever else your service dictates you wear that isnt provided. Fuel and maintenence for your car can be claimed if you use your car for court or courses which i do, as the service doesnt provide one usually. You can also claim a home gym as a police officers job description requires them to be physically fit. As song as a sgt signs off on it and your accountant goes with it, then you should be good.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Bairdo wrote:
meathead1 wrote:He claims part of my cell phone bill, not all of it- the reason being that I am constantly on the phone with dispatch during my tours and require it for work, but am not provided one by work.

Maybe it has something to do with not claiming the entire bill, but at my previous job a pile of people were claiming their cell phones. Until they learned there was a pretty specific form from CRA that the employer was required to sign confirming that a cell phone, .

Hence why ALL of US should NOT use our own personal cellphone at work....make whomever wait 10-45min to return to detachment to make that call. Until we are all on that same page (not using own own cell) the employer will continue to make us foot the bill/take advantage of us for company work!! and not sign off on our cellphone bill for tax deductions!!

Don't use your cell for company business, no matter how convenient!!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am

I've never tried to claim a home gym and I can't see that flying either.

That did seem way too good to be true.....sadly.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

OCCOP
Veteran Member

Postby OCCOP » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 am

What about a gym membership?
Could it be claimed, if it is a company gym? ($8/month...still $88 dollars!)
"He who loses control loses!"

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 am

OCCOP wrote:What about a gym membership?

On the other side of that coin, an $8 gym membership clearly is subsidized by the employer in some way, so you could actually end up paying for it as a taxable benefit!

The use of a personal vehicle for court, or whatever, is problematic too - since the journey from home to place of work is considered personal use by CRA, whether that is court or a sales rep's first call of the day, or to the office (for example someone who has a company car for legitimate business use but takes it home and has access to it). If you drove to the detachment and then found that there was no cruiser to take to court and had to take your personal vehicle then you could likely claim a reasonable rate per km for use of a personal car for business - I think it's around $0.45/km - but only from detachment to court and back. In that instance though, wouldn't you be able to claim the expense from work?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:43 pm

we've been told (prior to the rule coming in that we had to go to court in uniform off duty) that we could either claim the mileage or claim the overtime. Not both.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 am

You should be able to claim OT and any mileage above your traditional commute from the agency direct. I don't believe you can claim court mileage/car maintenance on income tax though as it would be considered personal use (just commuting to work as far as they are concerned).

As for socks/t-shirts etc. Life in general requires you to wear socks, I just can't see that flying if CRA decides to audit you, but if you can do it, best of luck.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 pm

RemingtonSteel wrote:As for socks/t-shirts etc. Life in general requires you to wear socks, I just can't see that flying if CRA decides to audit you, but if you can do it, best of luck.

I run my own business, and I'm sure there are things I could claim that I don't. I put them into the same category as "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD." CRA is not a group that anyone wants attention from.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm

OCCOP wrote:What about a gym membership?

$8 a month :ponder:

WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 am

I lift things up and put them down...
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".