Looks Like Chief Blair Just Stepped in it.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: Looks Like Chief Blair Just Stepped in it.

Postby 48highlander » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:04 pm

VanB wrote:
48highlander wrote:
VanB wrote:So he can't publicly commetn on the issue when SIU is investigating the matter, and cops all want to see more support from their management, but when that same management comes out supporting those members against a retarded statement made by SIU he's a "dingus?"

He's a dingus for poking the bear with the same inflamatory language the SIU used. If he had kept to saying something along the lines of "We would like the SIU to only deal in the realm of fact and not publicly issue "speculation" about what they believed happened but can't prove. We support our officer fully in this regard" Something like that. Adding the whole btw "that video was shite, it was doctored, and WE can prove it" is more less challenging them to a pissing match, and the SIU accepted.

It doesn't make him less right in his comments or actions. The video is shite, they can prove it, my 10 year old neice could prove it. The fact that SIU didn't like it doesn't mean Blair is a dingus, it means that he's actually a leader who wants his guys to know that he has their back. If you think that in Toronto speaking to the media on a live radio show that the statement you just wrote would be read without some expectation of clarification through follow-up questions which ultimately wouldn't have gotten the same information out of Blair as what he put out there anyway, you obviously have no idea of how the press works. He said what needed to be said, SIU really doesn't have appropriate grounds to re-open this investigation, they're just trying to get a do-over on what was ultimately a shitty kick at the cat in the first instance anyway.

You obviously have your opinion and I have mine.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:37 pm

So after the pony shows over, and the SIU lays no charges, where do we stand. A bunch of wasted money... :roll:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm

VanB wrote:
48highlander wrote:You obviously have your opinion and I have mine.

And I also have the benefit of the experience of having been in situations similar to the one in the article and knowing what the members involved likely would want to see. Not to mention having been fairly involved in a good deal of the G8/G20 both before and during the actual event.

You have the information you read in an article and have determined that Blair is the one who "stepped in it."

Opinions and educated opinions are not the same.

Yeah, 48highlander proved that in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7823&start=75

His gem of a post (and as it turns out, a bit of a lie) is at the bottom of the page.

But, according to him, cops are holier-than-thou assholes.

Seems to me Blair isn't the only one who "steps in it".
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Gard wrote:
VanB wrote:
48highlander wrote:You obviously have your opinion and I have mine.

And I also have the benefit of the experience of having been in situations similar to the one in the article and knowing what the members involved likely would want to see. Not to mention having been fairly involved in a good deal of the G8/G20 both before and during the actual event.

You have the information you read in an article and have determined that Blair is the one who "stepped in it."

Opinions and educated opinions are not the same.

Yeah, 48highlander proved that in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7823&start=75

His gem of a post (and as it turns out, a bit of a lie) is at the bottom of the page.

But, according to him, cops are holier-than-thou assholes.

Seems to me Blair isn't the only one who "steps in it".

Naw just you gard

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm

What I am surprised at is how, Chief Blair who is known to play the game of politics quite well, said what he said about the SIU. I haven't watched the video, so I can't comment on its authenticity or such, but I would think that the Chief would have had some evidence to back up his statement.......may be he does and was hoping the SIU would respond in this manner.......but then again, I'm just speculating! ;)
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

DW: As far as I know, TPS forensic experts examined the youtube video that SIU told the public to look at.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm

the video is OBVIOUSLY edited with a chunk cut out and the remaining pieces spliced together. Anyone whithout their head shoved up their own ass (so that excluded ian scott) could see it was edited.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 pm

DW: As far as I know, TPS forensic experts examined the youtube video that SIU told the public to look at.

Oh really? Quite interesting! So Blair may have evidence up his sleeve and is using this as a way to challenge the SIU and its investigations. As I said, I haven't seen the video, but as someone who works in an environment where cell phone cameras are everywhere, I know that people can easily "record" what they choose to....
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 pm

ok..thanks Jim and VanB for answering my question.

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm

I am with TPS and I support Chief Blair on his comments.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Dispite my opinion of Chief Blair based on some other matters I have a split view in this case. I can well understand that he is attempting to look out for his members. There is obviously something out of sorts with the video. The editing excuse give by the person who took the video smells like week old fish. But all that being considered I think it would have been prudent for Blair to call upon another police service to review things and place himself at a distance. That is not to keep him clean but rather to show transparency in the process.

Although not of the same magnitude as this HPS had a sordid incident and Chief DeCare (a former underling of Blair) followed the book by the letter. That included not getting into any media battles. Trail by media and public opinion carries a hefty clout as wrong as it is!

Now as for the SIU. I think there is a need for some sorting out there. They have a job to do and it should not include making disparaging comments about members of a police force. Facts only, with no personal opinions.
Last edited by Dave Jenkins on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Wow there are some truly clueless people here making some pretty stupid comments. Why do some of you bother coming to a law enforcement forum??

Anyway, good for Chief Blair.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?