Man in disguise boards international flight

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Re: Man in disguise boards international flight

Postby Madeline236 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:15 pm

oilerjet wrote:Following link is from Post media, who for some reason felt the need to quote Joel Matlin, CEO of Alarm Force?! WTF?! Since when did he become an expert on airline/immigration security?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Can ... story.html

“I don’t think he was a threat,” said Joel Matlin, president of the Toronto-based home security company Alarm Force. “He wasn’t armed and he wasn’t violent.”

So this is what I can expect then from Alarm force...

Alarm Force Operator: Hello Alarm Force Central what is your emergency sir?

Caller: Some guy is rummaging through my living room downstairs

Operator: Is he armed?

Caller: No

Operator: Is he violent?

Caller: Well not right now but...

Operator: Well he does no sound like a threat sir so what's your problem?

Caller: Well he's in our hou...

Operator: Sir go back to bed and don't call us until he starts killing you"...Click..Buzzzzz

Gee where do I sign up for this security company?

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:00 pm

I should be an airline security consultant....it doesn't take any experience apparently.
$200/hr plus expenses! :alright:

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I must say that I was not surprised that this document made it to CNN, the local news here in B.C, etc. The way it was forwarded around me was crazy and it spread like wildfire. I of course, did not contribute to the mass hysteria! I wonder if there are others here that saw one of the original email versions like I did....

That being said, I don't think it would take much for IT to track down the origins of said email!

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Original email, as in the quick blurb that didn't give many details and included the original photo files? Yeah, I got that one before I got the brief.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Update on the story.... he didn't do it alone:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Eight+arre ... story.html

Eight arrested in masked traveller case: report

POSTMEDIA NEWS

JANUARY 9, 2011 5:02 PM

HONG KONG — Eight people — including current and former Hong Kong airport employees — have been arrested in the case of a young Asian man who disguised himself as an elderly passenger on a flight from Hong Kong to Vancouver, according to a news report.

Hong Kong English newspaper The Standard reported that a member of the ground staff at Hong Kong International Airport airport and two former airport staff members are among those accused of helping the young man — believed to be a Chinese national in his 20s — to board an Air Canada flight in Hong Kong in October while wearing a mask that made him appear to be an elderly Caucasian.

Once in Canada, the unidentified man requested asylum and is still being detained.

The paper reported that a two-month investigation found the man made it through immigration with a genuine passport, then obtained a fake passport and boarding pass in the departure hall before boarding.

The Standard noted a Canadian intelligence report said the masked traveller obtained the boarding pass from a 55-year-old American. However, all eight people arrested during weekend raids were Hong Kong citizens, police told the paper.

Immigration officials told The Standard the syndicate helped 10 people cross borders illegally and has been charging each client about $45,000 Cdn.

The case captured worldwide attention after a confidential Canada Border Services Agency intelligence report — which included a photo of the man wearing the disguise — was leaked to CNN. The report characterized the incident as an “unbelievable case of concealment.”
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Wonder where the other people had been smuggled into. Canada? US?
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

SierraSeven wrote:Wonder where the other people had been smuggled into. Canada? US?

I would assume Canada because we give the people that have been smuggled in free healthcare, social assistance, winter coats better than any I own, and free housing.

At least if you are a Canadian Citizen and you actually get convicted of human smuggling (which doesn't happen often enough) you are no longer able to get a passport.

Oh and who would have thought ramp workers would EVER be involved in ANYTHING illegal. The airports are 100% secure areas thank to all the security guards and Officers that work at the airport would never ever need a firearm.

Rant over.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 am

........... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand apparently they were good coaches, too!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... heads.html

........... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand apparently we should feel sorry for him and let him into the country anyways. He needs an edumacation, poor little guy.....

A young asylum seeker who snuck onto a flight to Canada disguised as an old man says he was coached by human traffickers before leaving China.

Testifying at his own detention review hearing Thursday, the man said that Chinese gangsters known as "snakeheads" told him what to say when he arrived in Canada.

The man, who can't be named to protect his identity, said the smugglers told him to say he was a farmer with just an elementary school education.

Appearing for the first time at a refugee hearing in person, the man testified that he finished senior high school and had only ever worked for a few months.

He told an adjudicator with the Immigration and Refugee Board that a family friend in Toronto is willing to put up a $5,000 bond for his release from custody.

How about that family friends pays for all of the administrative costs for his incarceration and the detention review, and also for his flight back to Hong Kong? :boxer:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

oilerjet
Veteran Member

Postby oilerjet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm

And what interest rate do you think Uncle Snakehead is going to charge him for putting up the $5000?

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

oilerjet wrote:And what interest rate do you think Uncle Snakehead is going to charge him for putting up the $5000?

I'd say better than prime. You know cheap rates for the insiders. :smirk:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage