"Free Person" pulled over in BC *Video*

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Jim Street
King Poobah

Re: "Free Person" pulled over in BC *Video*

Postby Jim Street » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Canadian Blue wrote:Depends, I'd say the officer handled it well, he could have been more assertive but that could have escalated the situation and if he's in an area where backup could be anywhere from half an hour to an hour away I'm not sure what risk I would want to take getting into a fight.

Backup arrival time, plus the camera.......totally different situation if neither were factors.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:56 pm

By the way, to the people who say the Mountie should have cuffed him behind his back, not to be an ass but I think you're being an armchair quarterback. If you can get the handcuffs on the guy and restrained that's all that you need.

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:45 am

I applaud the Officer for being as patient as he was....

That dude was being a jackass.......

BZ to the Mountie... I cant imagine too many people not wanting to punch that knob in the teeth..
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Leeworthy
Rookie Member

Postby Leeworthy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 am

These people are on crack, Charter this, Charter that. They need to give their heads a shake.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 am

Canadian Blue wrote:By the way, to the people who say the Mountie should have cuffed him behind his back, not to be an ass but I think you're being an armchair quarterback. If you can get the handcuffs on the guy and restrained that's all that you need.

One of my colleagues suffered a broken nose using the same train of thought.

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 pm

our policy states all arrested persons shall be handcuffed behind the back double locks engage. There are times that make this difficult if not impossible such as casts,missing limbs,prosthetics. Some big boys (and gals) require two sets of cuffs linked together.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Leeworthy wrote:These people are on crack, Charter this, Charter that. They need to give their heads a shake.

Well, if they don't believe in governemts and laws, then the Charter should not apply to these individuals.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Bald Man wrote:our policy states all arrested persons shall be handcuffed behind the back double locks engage.

Looking for the caselaw in Canada that states you have to Double Lock...or is it just policy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

It's our policy

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:32 pm

The only time I ever cuff anyone's hands in front is if they have been very cooperative with me and/or they have a medical condition or obvious health complaint (such as shoulder or back issues, pregnant women, old people, etc).

The member's level of cooperation and patience with the subject makes me wonder if he already knew who he was dealing with before the traffic stop, and combined with having the camera running, just decided to play the game. Stop was near Castlegar, which is a pretty small town. He probably recognized the vehicle.) This member showed an incredible amount of patience - I wanted to punch this guy about 90 seconds into the video. He would have been arrested and in cuffs as soon as he refused to provide a breath sample, if it was my stop. (Arrested for refusal, charter/warn, vehicle impound, PTA, release on scene.)
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 pm

sportyspice wrote:(Arrested for refusal, charter/warn, vehicle impound, PTA, release on scene.)

Release on scene?

There's at least an obstruct, off camera a possible resist or even assault.

As for cuffing, it's always discretionary but I won't comment on policy.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 am

How many actually double lock?, hmm..... . :twitch:

If you can "keep blind" to the fact that one could actually get those off... Who cares if they sit on the ring and... Cry. :smirk:
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.