Sudden illness kills police dog

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Sudden illness kills police dog

Postby meathead1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Niagara Regional Police have lost a member of their dog pack. Kane, who joined the service's canine unit two years ago, died over the weekend after a sudden medical problem.

Police said the dog was off-duty and with his handler, Const. Marc Garrels, when he went into distress.

Kane was taken to a veterinary clinic, but died of a twisted bowel before anything could be done for him, police said.

My condolonces to Marc and NRP members.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Toonces
King Poobah

Re: Sudden illness kills police dog

Postby Toonces » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Poor dog, and I feel for the handler. I couldn't imagine losing my dog... I think very highly of my local K9 dog as well, I couldn't imagine losing him either.

K9s are amazing.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 pm

I feel for Const. Marc Garrels, he lost his partner and best friend.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 am

Before going further, my ex is a PDS member, and I know how much the dog means as a partner and companion. I spent many years with a PSD in the house and kennel, going for walks, laying tracks, taking bites, etc.

However, I also have known co-workers and close friends that have given their lives on the job. So while I feel for the handler, I don't agree with this being posted in the Memorials forum.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm

wicked_police wrote:Before going further, my ex is a PDS member, and I know how much the dog means as a partner and companion. I spent many years with a PSD in the house and kennel, going for walks, laying tracks, taking bites, etc.

However, I also have known co-workers and close friends that have given their lives on the job. So while I feel for the handler, I don't agree with this being posted in the Memorials forum.

I agree 100 percent. I don't normally even browse the memorials section for that reason.

People seem to think it's OK to memorialize dogs and horses alongside police officers.

One even sought to start a debate over paying for police funerals here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2207
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I feel for the dog, but it shouldn't be put in the Memorial section. The memorial section is for people who have died in the line of duty and not dogs or horses.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I agree. Dogs dies every day. It's sad for their owner whether they do Police work or do nothing but piss and shit on your floor like mine. :cuss:

CO

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 pm

RIP and condolences to the handler.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Cop23

Postby Cop23 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 pm

A K9 saved and will save police officer's life as well as the general public. A K9 will take a bullet, a knife, etc for it's handler.

It's his partner, never calls sick, never take days off, and always ready to go.

He is the handler's partner and for all the above reasons and more, I think there's nothing wrong with it being in the memorial.
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:12 am

Cop23 wrote:A K9 saved and will save police officer's life as well as the general public. A K9 will take a bullet, a knife, etc for it's handler.

It's his partner, never calls sick, never take days off, and always ready to go.

He is the handler's partner and for all the above reasons and more, I think there's nothing wrong with it being in the memorial.

I think that what some of the officers are saying is that treating the death of a K9 similar to that of an officer cheapens the memorial for the officer.

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:59 am

Cop23 wrote:A K9 .... in the memorial.

See my post above. And you've obviously never worked or lived with a working dog. If you have, you'd know that your post, while filled with statements meant to cause strong emotional reactions, is more than just a bit of an exaggeration.

But a dog is still just a dog.

Show me on the Memorial Wall on Parliament Hill, or the Cenotaph in Depot, where it has a PSD's name. You won't be able to, because they aren't there.

The mods and admins seem to agree that while this is a huge loss for the agency and extremely difficult for the Handler, it does not belong in the Memorials forum.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 am

wicked_police wrote:The mods and admins seem to agree that while this is a huge loss for the agency and extremely difficult for the Handler, it does not belong in the Memorials forum.

Not ALL mods think that!!

All human or animal dying in the line of duty belongs on the memorial page.

If the death of human or animal is NOT in the line of duty it doesn't belong on the memorial page.

Just b/c Ottawa doesn't have an animal on the fallen wall, doesn't mean the animal is any less of a hero and can't be on the wall here. The animal risked it's life as trained to do, for fellow brother/sister.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 am

HwyBear wrote:All human or animal dying in the line of duty belongs on the memorial page.

Just b/c Ottawa doesn't have an animal on the fallen wall, doesn't mean the animal is any less of a hero and can't be on the wall here. The animal risked it's life as trained to do, for fellow brother/sister.

So you're saying a horses death during a Musical Ride performance has the same worth as, oh, I dunno, the 4 members killed in Mayerthorpe (or any other members killed on duty before or after that)? Because that horse died in the line of duty, right? So can you explain why there are no animals, only peoples, names on the Memorial Walls?

I'm not saying the PSD's contribution to it's handler, the agency, and society, isn't worth anything. It is.

But an animal IS less of a hero, because it's not a person. Now, this will hurt some feelings, but too bad. The dog is ultimately a tool used by the police in the execution of their duties, much the same as any other tool available to them.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I agree with hwybear.

If a dog dies in the line of duty, it should be recognized. I don't think it cheapens any memory of any officer that dies. If it wasn't for some Police Dogs, the handlers would be dead. Drugs would not be found. Bodies would not be found. So many more examples.

Relating a musical ride horse with a working horse in downtown Toronto thats used to control rioting or whatever is needed is just :crazy: When a working horse gets hit, or shot at or whatever,(remembering the horse in TO that was hit) or when a dog gets shot or stabbed, they will keep moving forward until they cannot move anymore, because thats all they know. Musical ride horses are only used for entertainment. There is a difference.

The only time an officers death would be cheapened, is if people choose to cheapen it.

I really don't understand what the problem is. Most people understand memorials. Most people don't really compare the death of an officer TO the death of a Police dog. Even if it was on the same wall. They just take it for what it is. A memorial. A rememberance.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:19 pm

I disagree. But that's fine. We all have our opinions shaped and based on our experiences.

No need for me to keep repeating myself in the thread.