Sudden illness kills police dog

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Sudden illness kills police dog

Postby Columbo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Gard wrote:I know there are people on here who have lost loved ones in the line of duty.

I think it's pretty offensive to them to memorialize an animal alongside a human police officer.

You can call a dog a PC or PSD or whatever you want but that doesn't change the fact that they are NOT police officers.

One of my best friends is a dog-handler and he makes it quite clear that, while he is very fond of his dog, he in no way equates it with a police officer.

I agree unequivocally. There is a reason why animals aren't memorialized by the state, and the fact that several people on this board cannot understand how or why memorializing what some people call food on this planet sickens me. Our fallen officers were sentient beings that acted out of bravery and an awareness of their mortality, while an animal is only heroic as its rote training and propensity to please and get treats.
"One more thing..."

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Cop23 wrote:I am no K9, but my brother is.

Doubtful.

Cop23 wrote:I'd love to see his reaction if another officer would tell him face to face.

No problem. Let me know where to find or call him (if he exists) and I'll tell him his working dog is ultimately a tool, a well trained, expensive piece of equipment, another option on the use of force model.

Cop23 wrote:Just my 2cents.

Which isn't even worth that much.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:34 am

Columbo wrote:
Gard wrote:I know there are people on here who have lost loved ones in the line of duty.

I think it's pretty offensive to them to memorialize an animal alongside a human police officer.

You can call a dog a PC or PSD or whatever you want but that doesn't change the fact that they are NOT police officers.

One of my best friends is a dog-handler and he makes it quite clear that, while he is very fond of his dog, he in no way equates it with a police officer.

I agree unequivocally. There is a reason why animals aren't memorialized by the state, and the fact that several people on this board cannot understand how or why memorializing what some people call food on this planet sickens me. Our fallen officers were sentient beings that acted out of bravery and an awareness of their mortality, while an animal is only heroic as its rote training

and propensity to please and get treats.

I think everyone on this board understands your ( and others) point of view. Its Just that not everyone is as dogmatic in their thinking....as others.

That's all.

Edit: Just to clarify.... When you take into context the "spirit" of a comment, and that comment is meant as a show of respect, then I personally don't feel the need to go into all the comparisons of why a dog and person aren't equal, because everyone knows they are not equal.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Cop23

Postby Cop23 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:17 am

wicked_police wrote:
Cop23 wrote:I am no K9, but my brother is.

Doubtful.

Cop23 wrote:I'd love to see his reaction if another officer would tell him face to face.

No problem. Let me know where to find or call him (if he exists) and I'll tell him his working dog is ultimately a tool, a well trained, expensive piece of equipment, another option on the use of force model.

Cop23 wrote:Just my 2cents.

Which isn't even worth that much.

I'm not going to comment further on this. Someone who thinks knows it all and or will not accept that others have or may have different opinion shows a lot.
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Why don't you sic your K9 brother on him, "Cop" 23 ?
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh noes!!!!

Now I'm really scared.....

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 am

A Proud Boast

I never barked when out of season;
I never bit without a reason;
I ne'er insulted weaker brother;
Nor wronged by force or fraud another.
Though brutes are placed a rank below,
Happy for man, could he say so!
-Thomas Blacklock
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill