OPP 2010 LGBT Symposium

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Minutes2Midnight
Rookie Member

OPP 2010 LGBT Symposium

Postby Minutes2Midnight » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm

I've stayed quiet for quite some time after causing a bit of a ruckus on another subject related to being "LGBT" etc.. but figured I'd kick it up again after this weekends OPP LGBT Symposium recruitment drive...

So to all the members out there...

On Saturday, the O.P.P. attempted to put it's name out there in Toronto's (and surrounding area) gay community that it is an accepting force, and regardless of your age, sexual orientation, gender, etc. you are welcome in their organization. I have to admit, I went in there as a gay male with the assumption that the OPP would make this entire thing all about your sexuality and how you carry yourself, but when all was said and done we only spent about 25 minutes of the 7 1/2 hour symposium speaking about homosexuality and the myths that accompany it. It was an excellent opportunity to meet "LGBT" members of the Police community, as well as straight officers who don't give a crap either way, and hear more about their jobs and the things they do to keep themselves sane at even the worst of times.

I think more Police services need to do this ..WHETHER OR NOT it's directed at LGBT people who are questioning a career in the force itself, or just towards potential applicants. Having a more intimate environment where the morning was directed towards recruiting and the afternoon was directed towards having small groups sit with serving members and fire off as many questions as possible; probably the best thing I've come across in my strive to be a Police Officer. I think both the straight and gay people who attended that event left with the idea that the force isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be when you're not exactly heterosexual - but there are still a fair amount of issues that get swept under the carpet.

A comforting part of that day was when I was standing at the front window and was approached by 5 Toronto Police Officers who had been called to the 519 due to a protest going on outside (who were protesting Police services hiring LGBT Members and hiding them behind the "Blue Curtain".... even though the people outside protesting were Queers themselves...) and one of the officers in the group said to me and a fellow attendee, "As a part of this Symposium, what do you think about those people outside?" I answered "I think they're all idiots and it's about the best person for the job," to which they all gave us handshakes and said keep up the fight. Now i'm sure they're heterosexual, but I think that was a step to show that even 5 random officers that may or may not believe in equality for all can overcome barriers and respect anyones cause.

So my question, having a service such as the OPP hold this type of meeting... and many of you being police officers or recruits of any other services... do you think it's necessary for any force to dis-spell the myths behind the force being the "Boys Club" and that gays and lesbians can't get through a day without some remark coming form a member of their own brotherhood? It appears that even the key note speaker, an out lesbian in the OPP for almost 20 years now still finds problems. Views? Comments? Opinions?
“My God. We've had cloning in the South for years. It's called cousins.”"

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: OPP 2010 LGBT Symposium

Postby devilwoman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:37 pm

So my question, having a service such as the OPP hold this type of meeting... and many of you being police officers or recruits of any other services... do you think it's necessary for any force to dis-spell the myths behind the force being the "Boys Club" and that gays and lesbians can't get through a day without some remark coming form a member of their own brotherhood? It appears that even the key note speaker, an out lesbian in the OPP for almost 20 years now still finds problems. Views? Comments? Opinions?

There will always be people in police services who have anti-gay/anti-lesbian views....hell, there are still some male members (not just the old guys..newer ones as well) who hold anti-women in policing attitudes to this day. There is not much that can be done about it....services can provide an "open" atmosphere to any nationality/gender/sexual orientation they want, but there will always people who are hired and disagree with these hiring practices.

I'm a straight female and I could care less what floats my partner's boat....as long as they don't duck calls and leave me to do all the freaking work all the time...the only officers I hate are the lazy ones! (Oh and the slobbish ones too...messy uniforms...leaving the report writing room a mess.....leaving crap all over the cruiser...etc).
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Minutes2Midnight wrote:it's about the best person for the job,"

That sums it up right there. If the best person for the job happens to be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or any other sexuality, so be it.
Giggity giggity goo!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 pm

AS far as Im concerened, if you are solid person I can count on, not a fall down that was hired because of race, language, or preference, you are fine in my books.

Further, as far as Im concerened, if you are one of those I respect, gay, trans, bi, whatever, you loose that identity with me and you now beome "Blue". Plain and simple.

I just do not give a shit what you do outside of the uniform. We all bleed "Blue". Thats how I see it.

When I call for help, I don't care if a gay officer or a straight one comes. Just get there and join me in the jackpot.

I have shared a car with many officers from many persuasions and backgrounds. If you are a shit cop, you are shit cop.

Plain and simple.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

RookieToBe wrote:
Minutes2Midnight wrote:it's about the best person for the job,"

That sums it up right there. If the best person for the job happens to be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or any other sexuality, so be it.

Doesn't work that way anymore. Its who the best person is to best promote the image of the service, not that the person is a good candidate.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I clicked on this topic because I had no idea what a LGBT symposium was.

Now I know.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

And knowing is half the battle.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Had a gay guy in my unit overseas....I did, and still would trust him with my life. What someone does in their personal life is their business. As A.T.R. stated...regardless of profession.....an idiot is an idiot and a solid person is a solid person.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:30 pm

recceguy wrote:Had a gay guy in my unit overseas....I did, and still would trust him with my life. What someone does in their personal life is their business. As A.T.R. stated...regardless of profession.....an idiot is an idiot and a solid person is a solid person.

Yup. +1 on Recceguy and ATR's comments...

My Current Boss is a Lesbian and I couldn't care less about it... She is an outstanding Chief Clerk and I am better for knowing and working for her, as she is a great boss... as far as I'm concerned once the uniform goes on, I don't give a holy hand grenade what your colour, creed, orientation, or gender is..... you're a CF Member first and foremost.... or in the case of a service, a Police officer first.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am

Come on DW it's a well known "fact" that females are much less able than males. I think you need to learn your role in life! :twisted:

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

Tommy wrote:
recceguy wrote:Had a gay guy in my unit overseas....I did, and still would trust him with my life. What someone does in their personal life is their business. As A.T.R. stated...regardless of profession.....an idiot is an idiot and a solid person is a solid person.

Yup. +1 on Recceguy and ATR's comments...

My Current Boss is a Lesbian and I couldn't care less about it... She is an outstanding Chief Clerk and I am better for knowing and working for her, as she is a great boss... as far as I'm concerned once the uniform goes on, I don't give a holy hand grenade what your colour, creed, orientation, or gender is..... you're a CF Member first and foremost.... or in the case of a service, a Police officer first.

Would this be the holy hand grenade of Antioch by any chance?

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:52 am

TacticsPT wrote:Would this be the holy hand grenade of Antioch by any chance?

It Certainly would be :mrgreen:

" And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats..."

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 pm

If you're going to quote Monty Python you've just got to link to the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioXrZT9Ric

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:If you're going to quote Monty Python you've just got to link to the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioXrZT9Ric

I would, but work computers dont let me get onto Youtube :(

Then again, If I could get on there then NOTHING would ever get done.....

Leeworthy
Rookie Member

Postby Leeworthy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 pm

You mean your workstation doesnt have 2 PC's? I have a GPnet and a DWAN on the same desk, just switch back and forth with my Omniview! eeh.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19