RCMP Commissioner issued sidearm

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: RCMP Commissioner issued sidearm

Postby Gardenfit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:08 am

CourtOfficer wrote:
CC9769 wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:I don't see the point of the position of Governor General. I think the money it takes to pay, clothe and feed that lady could go to better use.

CO

You are part of the Commonwealth of Nations which was once the mighty British Empire. When you look at the remanants of all the other colonial powers such as Portugal, France, Belgium and Spain....you are not doing too bad.

If Canada left the Commonwealth, then who would come 2nd to Australia in the Commonwealth Games medal count? ;)

I have no idea what the Commonwealth games are but I doubt it would change my position. First I've heard of this "commonwealth of nations" but I would prefer to just be our own country. Would that require a war on Britain or could we just have a vote and get rid of those royal nerds?

CO

"And you call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the crown? "

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:25 am

CC9769 wrote:"And you call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the crown? "

You're Australian? I thought you guys were more enlightened than this when it came to the monarchy.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:38 am

CC9769 wrote:"And you call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the crown? "

No. I'm not loyal to the Queen. She can stay in her own country. The crumpets aren't going to eat themselves.

CO

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Mongo wrote:

You're Australian? I thought you guys were more enlightened than this when it came to the monarchy.

Its a line from the movie "Last of the Mohicans"...Ive always wanted to say it.

Part of me wants to sever all ties to the monarchy, part of me doesn't, and part of me just doesn't care.

OnTalyn
Seasoned Member

Postby OnTalyn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:54 pm

gotchya wrote:
Gard wrote:Time for a Canadian head of state!!

Isn't a Canadian (Governor General) technically the head of state, because the Queen never in town to do the head of state thing...?

No as our current GG has had to have pointed out to her by the PMO the GG is not the Head of State. The Queen is Head of State and the GG is her representative.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm

argyll wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Leeworthy wrote:LOL no worries. bound to happen just like if we start talking about LEO stuff, we get corrected. Not our area of expertise haha.

As for the queen, I believe the holster is a ceremonial piece of kit, and contains no weapon.

she's totally got a Gold Plated Desert Eagle .50 AE in there...

Copperandblue,

If he's any kind of NCO worth his stripes, he'll be a hard-as-fuck tough as nails instructor for the very reason that Prince William WILL be his Boss one day.... that way he can look at him and say, "I trust this officer because I trained him to survive and lead properly."

unless the officer is a total gong show in which case the NCO will still follow him... but mostly just out of Morbid curiosity....

exactly.......when I was at Sandhurst I lived in fear of my Sergeant-Major and called him sir as any self respcting officer cadet would do. A year later I was doing the Royal Guard at Buckingham Palace and ran into him. He was calling me sir, I was calling him sir until his Regimental Sergeant Major came up and tore me a new one for not calling him Sergeant-Major as a commissioned officer should do. Us Brits take our ranks and titles very seriously dammit :mrgreen:

I just know CO is jealous...... :alright:

All those "sirs" and ranks and whatnot is ghey. I call my bosses by their first name as I expect them to call me.

CO

Python

Postby Python » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:36 am

argyll wrote:Us Brits take our ranks and titles very seriously dammit :mrgreen:

POME
Take care and stay safe.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:57 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
All those "sirs" and ranks and whatnot is ghey. I call my bosses by their first name as I expect them to call me.

CO

I didn't know you used to be Air Force....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:25 pm

It's even more ghey when one constable will refer to another constable as Constable ________ around the office, of all places. I also found it humorous when some officers would bring prisoners in and state the reason why they were in custody in 10 codes. It's usually the newbies. Drives everyone a bit crazy. I agree, I call my bosses by their first name. Even our chief will ask to be called by his first name. Leave the rank mumbo jumbo in the military.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Bald Man wrote:It's even more ghey when one constable will refer to another constable as Constable ________ around the office, of all places. I also found it humorous when some officers would bring prisoners in and state the reason why they were in custody in 10 codes. It's usually the newbies. Drives everyone a bit crazy. I agree, I call my bosses by their first name. Even our chief will ask to be called by his first name. Leave the rank mumbo jumbo in the military.

I call my army bosses/coworkers by their first names, but only when its a relaxed atmosphere, (office during the day, downstairs in the cage), but never when junior troops/subordinates are around, although most people usually refer to me by last name (or shortened version of it anyways). My first name is too common, and it gets confusing. It much easier to give and receive orders when its kept impersonal, at least initially. At least around my unit, until you have been around long enough for people to figure out if your junk or not, you more less have to earn the priviledge of using someones first name, especially if that person is much more senior in rank and authority than you.