Fine Dinning in Hamilton?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
BlueStripedPants
Rookie Member

Re: Fine Dinning in Hamilton?

Postby BlueStripedPants » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
TheWatcher wrote:
The exterior pics are a clever form of false advertisement….Jilly’s is the only place where its ok to tip in coins lol

I never have much luck with the slots machines..
Under-promise and over-deliver.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:14 pm

On a side note to fine dining - and no, I am not the fellow quoted in the article!

http://www.thespec.com/living/healthfit ... that-works

A Twinkie diet that works

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE

For three weeks, nutrition expert Mark Haub has been eating Little Debbie Pecan Spin Wheels for breakfast, Hostess Twinkies for lunch, birthday cake for supper and Doritos for dessert.

He’s lost 10 pounds. His bad cholesterols are down, his good cholesterols are up. He’s meeting his recommended daily allowance of nutrients by taking vitamins and eating plain vegetables.

So is it a healthy diet?

That’s the question Haub, 41, wants everyone asking. The Kansas State University professor of nutrition wants people to question the idea that eating fruits, vegetables, low-fat protein and whole grains is the only way to lose weight.

“It’s unrealistic in some areas of society to expect that you can find fresh broccoli, tomatoes at a price that is affordable,” says Haub. “If somebody can get their nutrients from a supplement and then they get their fuel from whatever is available, does it matter that they’re not getting fruits and vegetables and whole grains? Is that okay?”

He’s not being funded by the makers of Twinkies or any other conglomerate. The diet is a project for a class Haub teaches on weight, diet and exercise.

He is consuming less than 1,800 calories a day — about 600-800 calories less than he needs to maintain weight, he estimates. He drinks milk for protein. He eats no whole grain and little dietary fibre. He eats vegetables for nutrients. Swiss cake rolls, blueberry muffins, cinnamon rolls, Peanut Butter Oreos and hot dogs are his energy sources.

“There’s some nostalgia to it. It’s something that as a young male, I wouldn’t eat a lot of, but I would snack on it,” he says of the Little Debbie cakes that are the mainstay of his junk food diet.

His male friends don’t see his diet as an issue. Some even think it’s kind of cool. Women tell him they would never try it.

Before he began the diet Haub’s body-mass index was approaching obese. At 5-foot-10, he was 201 pounds and sedentary. A former Boston marathoner, his weight had crept up since getting married, having kids and entering the workforce. He has trouble finding time to exercise.

He woke up with a terrible headache after the first day of his diet. He compares it to being in the first stage of Atkins and South Beach diets, both of which he’s tried. As a nutritionist, he says he likes to try popular diets so he knows what they are like and what people on them go through.

“I thought wow, if this what it is going to be like for the next four weeks, I’m going to be in trouble. But two days later, I felt fine. Obviously there’s an adaptation my body had to go through. I don’t know if it was due to the caloric restriction or what was being eaten, probably a combination of both,” says Haub.

He’s sleeping better. His wife says he’s snoring less.

Socially, it’s awkward. He does permit himself to order a vegetable dish if he’s dining out with friends or for business.

“A good salad with salad dressing is something I miss. I love blue cheese,” he says.

When it comes to losing weight, the equation is pretty straightforward, says David Jenkins, the Canada Research Chair in Nutrition and Metabolism.

“You can do what you like, providing you cut your calories, it’s as simple as that. Junk food is not a single food, it’s as varied as healthy food. Not all junk food is a complete catastrophe.”

Jenkins says there’s no doubt that losing weight, if you are overweight, is healthy. He does not endorse a junk food diet.

“Most people would not be able to lose on a diet like that, they would eat more,” he says.

Haub points out that his sugary diet is inexpensive. He’s spending about $5-$6 a day.

“There’s a big push to increase the tax on this food, there are some people who are socio-economically disadvantaged who may rely on this food,” he says.

He says he’s not saying low fat or low-carb diets aren’t healthy. He just wants people to think creatively about weight loss.

“Instead of being kind of myopic, close-minded to alternative dietary maybe we need to think outside the block and look at things a little bit differently.”
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 pm

BlueStripedPants wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:
TheWatcher wrote:
The exterior pics are a clever form of false advertisement….Jilly’s is the only place where its ok to tip in coins lol

What ever you do....DON'T PULL THE HANDLE!!! 88)
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 am

TwE@k wrote:
BlueStripedPants wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:

What ever you do....DON'T PULL THE HANDLE!!! 88)

Urgh.... Nobody wants THAT Payout.......
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 am

A calorie is a calorie. Burn more than you take in and you lose weight. Whether those calories come from carrots or carrot cake is not important. There are so many functions within the body that depend on micronutrients that only good food can get you that are qualitative more than quantitative. IE - Energy, immunity, skin health, lung function, eye sight, blahblahblah...

This isn't groundbreaking.

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:26 am

I'm willing to bet that this kind of food intake will do more harm than good in many of if not most people over time. 3 weeks is not enouh time to see the health effects with this kind of regular food intake. I predict many will come out as diabetics or close to. It was never intended for the human body to consume junk food high in sodium, sugar, saturated or trans fats and other chemical preservatives. Its' one thing to have a pice of home made cake once in a while, compared to eating store bought junk food with every meal of the day. This guy may have not noticed any health issues righ away, but these things usually take time to fester before they are a problem. A person like this is statistically more prone to Diabetes, heart disease and cancer with a diet like that. Some people say, well you're going to die anyways. True, we all will all die at some point. But wouldn't you rather at least try to live a healthy life so that your odds are better of living older and healthier?

As far as losing weight, it's true, a calorie is a calorie, burn more than you intake and you will drop the lbs's. The problem with people and weight gain is, typically north americans eat double if not triple what they should be and then sit on the already fat asses and do nothing about it. Food buffet's come to mind.

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Columbo wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:
Columbo wrote:I love how Bald Man asks for fine dining recommendations, and he gets referrals to Tony Roma's, East Side Mario's, Kelsey's, and a beef sandwich hut. I wonder where all the commoners are dining these days. :smirk:

I don't really know.......give us a hint.....where would you be dining? :P

I'm sorry to say Dave, but I don't know Hamilton at all, save for its convenient highway system. But what I can tell you is this: I don't eat at food chains because I'm prickish like that and refuse to spend my dine-out money on chicken and pasta, and glorified pub-grub with an Asian flare. :D

The Pheasant Plucker on Augusta used to serve bison, osterich and other exotic meats. It's been a while since I've been there, but it's one of the better pubs for food in downtown Hamilton. There are loads of other pubs but people go to those more for the beer, not the food. The Pheasant has both IMO.

Other places I ate when I was there... ummm.... that's about it. I staggered out of the police association bar a few times but can't recall anything about the food.

There was a pretty good sushi place near the CF Recruiting Centre just off King St (or was it Main?) right downtown, no idea if its still there. It's a stone's throw from Slainte's, the Irish pub, which again is standard pub fare but has Kilkenny on tap so who cares about the food anyway?

I don't qualify Tony Roma's, ESM, or Kelsey's as fine dining.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:Before he began the diet Haub’s body-mass index was approaching obese. At 5-foot-10, he was 201 pounds.

Ah, the good old BMI, where even JJ from Good Times is considered morbidly obese.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Mongo wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:Before he began the diet Haub’s body-mass index was approaching obese. At 5-foot-10, he was 201 pounds.

Ah, the good old BMI, where even JJ from Good Times is considered morbidly obese.

Dyn-o-MITE!!
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Mongo wrote:

My BMI is 42.3... :oops:

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 am

CO....I don't believe you :? (your BMI)

:mrgreen:

True, we all will all die at some point. But wouldn't you rather at least try to live a healthy life so that your odds are better of living older and healthier?

Yah, there are different ways you can die.... I'd rather go quickly one night when my ticker fails and I'm in my 90's :shock:

I would not like to think of myself in the throes of some preventable diabetic/cholesterol filled/artery clogged nightmare acquired from twinkie eating, chip gorging, big mac stuffing daily binges .....in my "golden years" :dubious:

I'll just stick to the obvious "healthy" choices, and treat myself once in a while to whatever I feel like.

My motto is...eat healthy "mostly", and treat yourself "occasionally". :alright:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"