Fine Dinning in Hamilton?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Fine Dinning in Hamilton?

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Can anyone from the Hammer recommend a nice restaurant? Wifey and I will be in Oakville in 2 weekends visiting friends and I thought heading into to Hamilton might different since I've never been through there other than on the QEW.

TPS
Rookie Member

Re: Fine Dinning in Hamilton?

Postby TPS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Yeah I bet the view is beautiful on one of those patios, staring straight at smog and factories ;)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:15 pm

let me get this right....you'll be in Oakville (beautiful) and want to go to Hamilton for fine dining????????
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:17 pm

eah I bet the view is beautiful on one of those patios, staring straight at smog and factories ;)

:shame:

There's quite a few nice restaurants in the Hammer....I'm a big fan of Tony Roma's (ribs, wings, steaks, etc)...just let me know what kind of food you're craving.

Enough Hamilton bashing....gets old fast. :cuss:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Heyyyy...Botanical Gardens is pretty nice.....and Gage park too! (in reply to TPS lol)

The Black Forest Inn used to be pretty nice (haven't been in a while). The food was always really good with large portions, unless somethings has changed. On special occasions if we have to eat in Hamilton, thats usually the place we go. Its basically European "cuisine" but there are other things on the menu besides Shnitzel lol

http://www.blackforestinn.ca/contact.htm

East Side Marios is also pretty good. They have a bunch of locations throughout Hamilton, but there is one in Dundas on Osler, and one on Upper James. I think both are pretty easy to find right off the highways.

There's Kelseys as well, one is right up on Upper James close to East Side Marios. Theres also one in the West End (Westdale area) on Main.

Hope that helps a bit...
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

KevinH
Grand Poobah

Postby KevinH » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Shakespeare's at Main/Ferguson is good, Ancaster Old Mill is good, but pricey. If you like pasta, go to La Spaghett on Upper James - its a tiny storefront place in a strip plaza, but the food is incredible....

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:58 pm

meathead1 wrote:let me get this right....you'll be in Oakville (beautiful) and want to go to Hamilton for fine dining????????

I figured I would get those comments. :lol: I've been to Oakville once, no big deal. Seemed just like suburbia with a strip along the lake. I think most towns have some charm. TO has some real toilet areas and really nice areas with some of the best culinary in Norh America. But I really don't feel like traveling into TO for the evening. I've never been to Hamilton and was just curious.

Thanks for the suggestions. As for East Side Mario's, I'll pass. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a foodie and I don't mind spending money for a excellent meal with nice ambiance. It's our anniversary too. Great food with fresh ingredients and a nice glass of wine is what I'm after.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:24 pm

It all depends on what you might like. You can get just about anything and range from a slop-house to some pretty upper-crust establishments.

Lo Presti’s at Maxwell’s being a nice place for a more classy dining experience. As has been mentioned the Old Mill and Shakespeare's are at the upper end. Then there are always the good old staples such as the Mandarin for that all you can eat gig, the Keg, Kelsey's, Turtle Jacks.....and the list continues.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Bald Man wrote:
meathead1 wrote:let me get this right....you'll be in Oakville (beautiful) and want to go to Hamilton for fine dining????????

I figured I would get those comments. :lol: I've been to Oakville once, no big deal. Seemed just like suburbia with a strip along the lake. I think most towns have some charm. TO has some real toilet areas and really nice areas with some of the best culinary in Norh America. But I really don't feel like traveling into TO for the evening. I've never been to Hamilton and was just curious.

Thanks for the suggestions. As for East Side Mario's, I'll pass. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a foodie and I don't mind spending money for a excellent meal with nice ambiance. It's our anniversary too. Great food with fresh ingredients and a nice glass of wine is what I'm after.

Well...most people dress up and look kind of fancy at the Black Forest Inn.....and if you don't mind spending some dollars......then you'll be A-O.K. here :alright:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:29 pm

La Cantina, outstanding Italian food

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Haweater wrote:La Cantina, outstanding Italian food

One of my favourites.

Also you might want to try Rousseau House or Shakespeares
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 pm

The Olive Press on Dundas St in Oakville is also a really nice place too.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

For folks that have any connection to the west end of Hamilton there is Tally Ho. It is, I am afraid to say, about as old as I am. Can't really remember it not being there. :oops: You will feel full after eating there. That is usually caused by the fact it takes three days to digest a "beef basket" dinner from there. It also takes about three weeks of rehabilitative cardio work out to clear things.

:wounded: <<<<<<<your arteries after just one sitting.......and for some reason people continue to go.......

....did I mention that the City of Hamilton uses gravy from there when they run out of Quick-Patch during pot-hole season........ :((
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi