CBSA Marine "Border Bullies"

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Infidel
Rookie Member

CBSA Marine "Border Bullies"

Postby Infidel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 pm

More bad press for the CBSA - the thing that burns me is that I know what the true story is. This doucebag is lucky he's not in jail. Or dead.

Border guards, border bullies: a sailor’s ugly story
By Dan Leger
Mon, Aug 16 - 4:53 AM
The Chronicle Herald

"On Canada Day, a sailboat skippered by an American voyager made landfall at Canso. The captain had sailed an ocean to attend the Stan Rogers Folk Festival here in Nova Scotia, an event he had attended before in a place he loved. His daughter and her family planned to visit later, when he got to Lunenburg.

He had sailed from the Azores single-handed on his 35-foot aluminum sloop. It was a fine feat of seamanship, but the sea wanderer was up to it. He has visited 35 countries.

Arriving in Canso, the sailor was surprised to learn that a historic port with offshore fishing traffic had no customs or immigration office. So he contacted the RCMP and an officer came to check out the boat and his papers.

After his inspection, the Mountie told the skipper to report to Canada Border Services when he got to Halifax. He wished him a happy stay.

Arriving in Halifax a few days later, the skipper officially reported to Border Services. That’s when his nightmare began.

Because he had arrived at the wrong port, armed border guards turned his world upside down. Searching for contraband, they confiscated his boat and tore it apart, throwing his food, stores, spare parts and gear all over the place and destroying an expensive refrigeration unit. "It was like vandals had got in and trashed the place," the skipper told me.

What was most upsetting was their unprofessional behaviour: yelling and intimidating the man whenever he protested their actions. They accused him of consorting with criminals in Vancouver — a port he has never visited. They repeatedly called him a liar and threatened him with jail. He was told he had no civil rights and they could do with him what they pleased.

The agents didn’t find any contraband, but demanded he pay a $1,000 penalty for landing at the wrong port. They gave him 24 hours to pay or he would face a $30,000 fine. They said they had entered his name in a database so that wherever he goes, he’ll be under suspicion.

I met the old sailor the morning after all this happened. He was still deeply shaken. He was about to cast off his lines and get out of Canada as fast as the wind would take him. He had already cancelled the family visit to Lunenburg. "I’ll never come back here as long as I live," he said. "I had no idea Canada had become like this."

I’m not going to report the man’s name because the border bullies will use that against him too. He didn’t "go to the media" and had no idea I was a journalist when he first told me his story.

And his experience is not unique. Border Services is developing a nasty reputation for intimidation and unprofessionalism. I was told of a South African yachtsman who spent 12 days in jail trying to clear up his entry to Canada.

I also witnessed a very aggressive search of a sailboat by a team of swaggering border guards, who brought in dogs and tried to extract self-incriminating statements from the crew.

In 2008-2009, more than 1,400 complaints were lodged against Border Services. Investigations were done internally and it seems all the complaints were dismissed. That’s what happens when government agencies investigate themselves.

Time was that Canadian customs and immigration officials were efficient, courteous civil servants who did their jobs without pretense. The current $1.5-billion Border Services Agency looks more like a tawdry TV cop show with its guns, bullet-proof vests and the inevitable wrap-around sunglasses.

Bullying and intimidation of visitors does not enhance border security. Pleasure boats still arrive undetected, so those tactics obviously don’t work. Spending more on intelligence-gathering, putting more officers in more ports and basic courtesy training would be a better use of public funds.

This isn’t about shiploads of migrants or organized crime gangs trying to invade Canada. Criminals don’t report to Border Services, even from approved ports. Real security includes respect for human rights, something sorely lacking in the border bullies here in Nova Scotia."

.....and of course CBSA can have "no comment" :rant:
After all is said and done, more is said than done

Photomax
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA Marine "Border Bullies"

Postby Photomax » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Looks like a reporter with an axe to grind. I did learn something new though....I didn't realize the CBSA folks "swagger."

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm

I always thought it was more of a sashay.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Good press for the mounties though
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Westerly

Postby Westerly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 pm

I've even seen some who waddle.

I'm sure this sailor was co-opperative and easy to get along with. We should remember that this country is theirs to enter not ours to protect. :roll: I like how there is never a response from the CBSA in instances like this, I'm sure that the traveller was treated with more respect then he showed the officers.
A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.

Photomax
Rookie Member

Postby Photomax » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

ryan.p wrote:Good press for the mounties though

Yeah but I've never wanted to be mounted....that's why I went with the odots.

I don't think that came out the way I meant it. :shame:

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Nobody other than a Canadian Citizen has a right to enter Canada.

If you don't want to properly report to the correct port "FORTHWITH" then you have broken the law. Who knows what he could have taken off of his boat in the time between when he landed and when he got around to contacting the RCMP.

"I broke law and was dealt with please media feel sorry for me boo hoo!"

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Force Recon wrote:Nobody other than a Canadian Citizen has a right to enter Canada.

And even Canadian citizens must report to an officer under IRPA (s.18) and must report to an officer under the Customs act (s.11).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Force Recon wrote:Nobody other than a Canadian Citizen has a right to enter Canada.

I think you need to review your Immigration notes from POERT...
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 pm

NorthernProtector wrote:I think you need to review your Immigration notes from POERT...

s.19 of IRPA, does also include Indians within the meaning of the Indian Act, and Permanent Residents provided the officer is satisfied they have status.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Long gone are the days where people could cross wherever they wanted at whatever time fit their fancy. It still blows my mind that some people still think that Canada is just another extension of the USA. :banghead:

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm

NorthernProtector wrote:

I think you need to review your Immigration notes from POERT...

No I don't.
I was including persons with Native status as Canadian Citizens....but those are the only two who we HAVE to allow to enter. Everyone else including Permanent Residents, persons on refugee travel documents, and all other foreign nationals can be refused entry. I am not saying it happens but it can.

CITIZENS/NATIVES - Enter by RIGHT (They have the RIGHT to enter and remain for as long as they like.)
Permanent Residents/Protected persons (refugees) - Enter by LAW (The law says if they meet their obligations they SHALL be permitted entry.)
Foreign Nationals - Apply to enter Canada and MAY be granted entry.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Force Recon wrote:No I don't.
I was including persons with Native status as Canadian Citizens....but those are the only two who we HAVE to allow to enter. Everyone else including Permanent Residents, persons on refugee travel documents, and all other foreign nationals can be refused entry. I am not saying it happens but it can.

CITIZENS/NATIVES - Enter by RIGHT (They have the RIGHT to enter and remain for as long as they like.)
Permanent Residents/Protected persons (refugees) - Enter by LAW (The law says if they meet their obligations they SHALL be permitted entry.)
Foreign Nationals - Apply to enter Canada and MAY be granted entry.

It depends on what you mean by "right", if by right you mean the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms then yes only citizens have the "right" to enter. If of course you mean in accordance with IRPA then Citizens,Permanent Residents, and Natives have the right to enter.
ImageImage

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:22 am

gotchya wrote:It depends on what you mean by "right", if by right you mean the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms then yes only citizens have the "right" to enter. If of course you mean in accordance with IRPA then Citizens,Permanent Residents, and Natives have the right to enter.

You could turn away or write a report on a PR...which you can not do for a citizen or native.

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am

I just got a great pair of 5.11 wrap-around sunglasses--maybe I'll change my radio callsign to "Inevitable"...