Maryland man arrested after recording of T-stop surfaces

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Maryland man arrested after recording of T-stop surfaces

Postby To a T » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 am

An interesting and developing story south of the border...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38621715#38607909
To a T
King Poobah

Re: Maryland man arrested after recording of T-stop surfaces

Postby Rugger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 am

I love how the female attorney said "the cop is embarrassed for pulling his gun on a traffic stop."

To me when he got out of the car the guy started backing up and could have ran. Granted I do not know if the undercover had lights on his car or if the guy knew he was a cop.

Begs to ask, what are the laws in Canada, at what point does permission be needed in order to use one face/voice on film (financial gains only?).
Rugger
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby To a T » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:11 am

Rugger wrote:I love how the female attorney said "the cop is embarrassed for pulling his gun on a traffic stop."

To me when he got out of the car the guy started backing up and could have ran. Granted I do not know if the undercover had lights on his car or if the guy knew he was a cop.

Begs to ask, what are the laws in Canada, at what point does permission be needed in order to use one face/voice on film (financial gains only?).

There was certainly a lot of armchair quarterbacking on the part of the lawyers. There is clearly much more to this story than what was reported by the media and the accused. Instead of actually giving the copper the benefit of the doubt and delving deeper into what happened, they seem to take issue with everything the officer did. What raised my eyebrows was the fact that both lawyers stated that the accused did break the law, then suggested that the accused sue, even after a Judge signed off on an affidavit for a search warrant of the man's home! :crazy: Unfortunately this type of one-sided reporting seems to have become the standard for rating hungry media outlets.
To a T
King Poobah

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am

The issue is that Maryland is one of a handful of states that require that all parties to an audio or video recording be aware of the recording, so by recording the officer without his knowledge (albeit with one of those helmet-mount cameras) he broke their "wiretap" laws. The circumstances around the traffic stop are really irrelevant to whether or not the rider broke that law.

In Canada if one party to the recording is aware of the situation then it isn't illegal.

In theory, I guess a private citizen in Maryland who was pranked and recorded and found themselves posted on Youtube could push for this charge to be laid as well, and I'm sure that situation happens a lot. However, not too many people would want their goofy nephew or obnoxious neighbor to be facing 16 years in prison for something like this.

Putting aside the legal issues, holy crap, 16 years in prison for this offence?!? :shock: Now there's a sensible use of resources.
GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby TheWidowsSon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:12 am

I'd like to go over the female attorney's briefs on this one before coming to any conclusion. ;)
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .
TheWidowsSon
King Poobah

Postby Taiser » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 am

It might make it's way to court, but I don't see it getting a conviction, should be interesting.
Taiser
Veteran Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:36 pm

I remember seeing the raw version of this video a few months ago.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |
ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Parking159 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Wasn't the cyclist stunt riding when the police stopped him? That's why he had the helmet-cam in the first place. What a douche-bag. :roll:
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.
Parking159
Grand Poobah

Postby IrishCanadian » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Anybody have the backgrounder on this one? Seems like an unusual situation all around.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev
IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

TheWidowsSon wrote:I'd like to go over the female attorney's briefs on this one before coming to any conclusion. ;)

Yes, it would ashame to go off half cocked
TacticsPT
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 am

TacticsPT wrote:
TheWidowsSon wrote:I'd like to go over the female attorney's briefs on this one before coming to any conclusion. ;)

Yes, it would ashame to go off half cocked

Just don't choke up! :P
To a T
King Poobah

Return to The Rant