Even Robert Munsch is on Blow!!!

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Even Robert Munsch is on Blow!!!

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Robert Munsch’s confession that he has struggled with alcohol and drug abuse has set off a tsunami of support for the popular Canadian children’s author among friends and colleagues in the publishing industry.

“Ninety-nine point nine of the e-mails we’ve received have been in support of Bob,” said agent Don Jones, responsible for booking Munsch’s appearances in Canadian schools. Although a 2008 stroke slowed the author’s pace, he still plans to make dozens of appearances this spring and fall, according to Jones.

“One hundred per cent of the live shows are a go,” Jones said. “There hasn’t been any question at all on refunds or anything else.”

Since the interview, according to a family spokesman, Munsch has decided against further talk about his problems in public.

But both the author’s Canadian publishers issued their own statements of support for the author as he recovers from addictions that he described openly in a weekend interview with Global Television. “When I was drinking, I would sometimes drink too much and do stupid things,” he said. “And one of the stupid things I did was use cocaine.”

Munsch, 64, added that he first used cocaine five years ago and is now seeking help through Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous. In a brief “Note to Parents” published on his website, the author said he has been diagnosed as manic-depressive and obsessive-compulsive, describing them as “challenges that have led me to make some big mistakes.”

Canada’s so-called King of Kidlit, often described as the best-selling Canadian author of all time, said that he has attended various 12-step recovery programs for 25 years, and has succeeded only due to the support of friends and family who are familiar with his demons.

“I hope that others will also understand,” he added. “I hope that everyone will talk to their kids honestly, listen to them, and help them do their best with their own challenges.”

Rick Wilks of Annick Press, who published Munsch’s first story in 1976, was quick to down play the potential career damage the author courted with his confession. “His personal issues are ones I’m deeply sympathetic with, and they’ve never gotten in the way,” Wilks said. “We’ve had an incredibly successful collaboration with him and continue to do that.”

Monday, the Scholastic Corporation issued a statement saying it is “proud to be [Munsch’s] Canadian publisher and to distribute his books in the U.S. and around the world,” one of which it plans to launch this fall. “Robert is also a man who has faced substantial personal challenges in his life and who is working hard to overcome them,” it said. “All of us at Scholastic support him in his recovery process.”

Munsch is scheduled to embark on an 11-city tour of the Prairies this month and next, beginning Tuesday at the Conexus Art Centre in Regina. Few expect he will encounter hostility.

“Quite honestly, I don’t think anything is going to happen,” Wilks said. “The point is, he’s clean now. He can continue to do what he’s done, which is to work on his stories and to perform. He’s had so much to overcome. I’m trusting that the public will respect him enormously.”
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Even Robert Munsch is on Blow!!!

Postby Leo_Getz » Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Started coke at age 59!? Wow.
Leo_Getz

Postby Bubbles1993 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:23 pm

This totally ruins story time. The next time (1000th time) I'm reading The Paper Bag Princess to the little one I won't think of the princess the same!

There was no dragon, just LSD!
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde
Bubbles1993
Grand Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Crack-Head Pricess.

Huff-Bag Princess.
A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Hoodwinkle » Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Blue Belly Bob
Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby zimmer » Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Leo_Getz wrote:Started coke at age 59!? Wow.

Did he decide to re-visit the while-devil once again! This time the WD wouldn't let go! :shame:
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!
zimmer
Veteran Member

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Mon May 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Paper Bag Crack Ho
JayDeeDoubleYou
Sage Member

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Weird dude and the family picture was interesting. Still like reading his books to the little ones and that trend will continue.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson
T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby tpspastin#9 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:39 am

:roll: I just don't see it.
tpspastin#9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Photomax » Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 am

Shoulda stayed with Pepsi.
Photomax
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 am

JayDeeDoubleYou wrote:Paper Bag Crack Ho

Mortimer Score me some Smack...

Davids Father (is my dealer)

I have to go (do a line in the bathroom)

Angela's Airplane (is flying in some grade A Colombian Yayo)

Johnathan Cleaned up and then Fell off the Wagon...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes I know I'm an asshole....
For the Record I read his stuff as a Kid, I am a huge fan, and will still Read his stories to my kids one day....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton
Tommy
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Tommy wrote:
JayDeeDoubleYou wrote:Paper Bag Crack Ho

Mortimer Score me some Smack...

Davids Father (is my dealer)

I have to go (do a line in the bathroom)

Angela's Airplane (is flying in some grade A Colombian Yayo)

Johnathan Cleaned up and then Fell off the Wagon...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes I know I'm an asshole....
For the Record I read his stuff as a Kid, I am a huge fan, and will still Read his stories to my kids one day....

:lol: :lol:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero
TPS
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Anyone really surprised? C'mon - how else do kids books get written? Ever read any Dr. Seuss or Alice In Wonderland?
warden602
King Poobah

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

warden602 wrote:Anyone really surprised? C'mon - how else do kids books get written? Ever read any Dr. Seuss or Alice In Wonderland?

True. Hell, the Seven Dwarfs represent the various stages of cocaine addiction...so I read...
JayDeeDoubleYou
Sage Member

Postby Bubbles1993 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:36 am

JayDeeDoubleYou wrote:True. Hell, the Seven Dwarfs represent the various stages of cocaine addiction...so I read...

Don't even think of ruining Thomas the Tank Engine for me!!! :P
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde
Bubbles1993
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to The Rant