CBSA Officers are not very nice!

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Whistler
Veteran Member

Re: CBSA Officers are not very nice!

Postby Whistler » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:53 pm

These are the same kind of BS whining complaints that all LEOs have to deal with on a daily basis.

"The officer was mean to me". So? Maybe if you stopped making their jobs hard they'd be nicer.

This all started with the "customer is always right" BS in retail stores. The general public are so used to getting whatever they demand, no matter how ridiculous, they start to expect this everywhere. When dealing with an LEO, and being shown that they are not "always right", and in more cases "always wrong", they get all butt hurt and complain.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS

Postby MS » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:46 pm

I am going to go out on a limb here. I have been in enforcement for 10 years, in a large municipality. In that time I have worked with some of the nicest folks, who do their jobs and thats all. I have also worked with a a fair bunch of guys who figured that them working in the law enforcement field meant they had to talk down to, or be abrupt and rude with most of their daily contacts unless your a friend or co-worker. Now These guys are the minority, but they are out there every day, and you know them.... you might even be one of them. They are the guys that wonder at the end of the day why they just recieved another complaint. In any type of enforcement environment, your going to receive a certain amount of malicious complaints, thats just the nature of the business, when douchebag is ticked cause you just boned him. But if your getting complaints once a month, something is wrong. If the true figure of land crossings each year is in the 80 mil range, and they're only getting 1500 complaints a year, as mentioned, thats pretty damned good, but to say all the complaints are baseless or purely the complainants fault is bullshit! Of course some of them are legitimate complaints. Most are probably vexatious, but in reality some of them will be legit. You know it, cause if you've been working any length of time, you've seen it.

john q. public
Seasoned Member

Postby john q. public » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Any time you work in a business where the people you serve don't fully know all the requirements of your job, you can expect to get complaints. Often their expectations exceed what you are legally allowed to do or required to do to perform your job, and this sometimes becomes the source of complaints. That being said, I have on occassion witnessed behaviours by my coworkers which I would consider unacceptable whether it be in a law enforcement or non-law enforcement occupation.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:10 pm

As a BSO I take these articles with a grain of salt, like always. However I do feel the need to defend ourselves by stating that you give respect, you get respect back (in most cases of course).

The blurb about the lady with the pretzels was ridiculous - I bet the officers boarded the train and they wanted to ask her questions, so she just ignorantly continued crunching her snacks. I myself have no patience for this kind of stuff. Tell me if she was in court before a judge, would she be crunching food?

TheWeazel
Rookie Member

Postby TheWeazel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 am

nyte ryder wrote: The blurb about the lady with the pretzels was ridiculous - I bet the officers boarded the train and they wanted to ask her questions, so she just ignorantly continued crunching her snacks. I myself have no patience for this kind of stuff. Tell me if she was in court before a judge, would she be crunching food?

No offence man, but she's on a train and you're not a judge. I'd continue to eat. I've gotten into it with a BSO in the past for having a similar attitude / train of thought. I work at CBSA now and I still think the guy was a prick. Respect is a two way street - give it and get it. Sometimes you have to instigate the givin' side before you get any back. That rule goes for everyone.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:24 am

TheWeazel wrote:No offence man, but she's on a train and you're not a judge. I'd continue to eat. I've gotten into it with a BSO in the past for having a similar attitude / train of thought. I work at CBSA now and I still think the guy was a prick. Respect is a two way street - give it and get it. Sometimes you have to instigate the givin' side before you get any back. That rule goes for everyone.

I don't know what the situation was like. But I will say that travelers are often rude and they don't even realize it. For example, people wait in line for 30 minutes then come up to the counter hand over passports and declaration card, then strike up a conversation amongst themselves, thus preventing me from asking any questions, then have the nerve to ask what's taking so long.

Or people who wait in line for hours, doing nothing, then come up to the counter and decide to start sending text messages.

Respect is a two-way street, I used to get angry about people being rude, now, I really don't care, I'll wait for them to finish their discussions with other travelers, I'll let them finish lunch dinner. If its busy I'll send you back and ask another traveler to come up.

My shift ends when it ends, I know when I'm going home. The traveler on the other hand, if they want extend their time in the Customs hall because they are too busy to answer my questions, then I'm certainly not going to get angry about it. When they miss their connecting flight, their ride home, or a relative is angry because they took so long getting through customs, they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Not to mention, talking on a cell phone as you approach the counter does tend to raise suspicions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 pm

gotchya wrote:I don't know what the situation was like. But I will say that travelers are often rude and they don't even realize it. For example, people wait in line for 30 minutes then come up to the counter hand over passports and declaration card, then strike up a conversation amongst themselves, thus preventing me from asking any questions, then have the nerve to ask what's taking so long.

Or people who wait in line for hours, doing nothing, then come up to the counter and decide to start sending text messages.

Respect is a two-way street, I used to get angry about people being rude, now, I really don't care, I'll wait for them to finish their discussions with other travelers, I'll let them finish lunch dinner. If its busy I'll send you back and ask another traveler to come up.

My shift ends when it ends, I know when I'm going home. The traveler on the other hand, if they want extend their time in the Customs hall because they are too busy to answer my questions, then I'm certainly not going to get angry about it. When they miss their connecting flight, their ride home, or a relative is angry because they took so long getting through customs, they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Not to mention, talking on a cell phone as you approach the counter does tend to raise suspicions.

Haha yep.
I love when they make a comment about how long the line was and they hand me over the declaration card and it isn't even filled out. Have fun waiting in line again....go to the back. If you waited for 30mins thats 30mins you had to properly complete a card that a kindergarten student can understand.

Icey
Veteran Member

Postby Icey » Sat May 01, 2010 11:15 am

Canada deports gunman after 20 years

By NADIA MOHARIB, QMI Agency

CALGARY - After betraying a country offering numerous chances, failing a family who hoped he'd change and proving himself a public danger, a longtime criminal has been deported.

Frank Fayke Dwomoh, the hired gun in what the courts called a cold-blooded gang shooting, was deported to Ghana this week -- one of 15 people sent packing for their violent ways in Calgary this year.

The 30-year-old, who has two young children here, came to Canada as a child in 1992.

By 2001, he was convicted of robbery, starting what would be a life of crime which earned more than a dozen criminal convictions.

The robbery conviction led to a deportation order which Dwomoh appealed.

But by 2004, just as he was granted a stay of deportation, he was charged with shooting a man in the leg during an attack on a drug dealer.

Court heard Michael Stoffels, who was suspected in the home invasion robberies of two gang members, was lured by a drug acquaintance and another man into going for a ride in a car.

Unknown to the victim, an armed Dwomoh was hidden in the trunk.

Once the car pulled over in a Calgary alley, the trunk was popped with Dwomoh approaching Stoffels.

When Stoffels refused to get out of the car, he was shot in the leg, shattering his femur before being beaten and then taken to hospital. Immigration transcripts show Dwomoh "minimized harm," saying he "could have killed" Stoffels but the man "didn't die, he just got shot in the leg."

The 2004 shooting earned him a seven-year prison term and the deportation order re-instated.

"Mr. Dwomoh has been given chance after chance," Immigration and Refugee Board adjudicator Lee Ann King said at a hearing last fall.

"He was given the ultimate chance to turn his life around at his immigration appeal and he did not do that."

The behaviour of Dwomoh, said to be a boss in the Crazy Dragons gang, didn't improve behind bars where he was involved in an attack on an inmate and a jail riot.

Correctional Service Canada documents show the majority of his problems on the streets stem from "everyday interactions" with people "in the drug trade, people owing him money, getting robbed, ripped off, competition trying to take over business clients."

Last year Canada Border Services deported 56 people from Calgary for criminality.

Some nice stuff....

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat May 01, 2010 11:32 am

I'm glad to see the CBSA is starting report stuff like this. I think the media releases about the stuff that happens at the POE have been all to infrequent. It's time Canadians see the reason why BSO's "harass" them, its time they realize that daily, people come to this country and try and cause it harm and bring things that cause harm to their communities.

Rather than being offended by the officer asking probing questions, why not be happy that the officer is being diligent.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, good job IEO's :thumbsup:
Last edited by gotchya on Sat May 01, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 pm

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/letter ... 9-eng.html

Letter to the Editor: Toronto Star and Hamilton Spectator

To the Editor:

As the Vice-President of Operations with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), I would like to provide context to your articles "Border officials make a bad first impression", April 23, 2010, and "Canada Border Guards' rudeness touches a nerve" Travellers tell tales of hostility as Agency defends 'professionalism'," April 27, 2010. To put it in perspective, the CBSA facilitates, on average, 100 million travellers annually. In 2008–2009, we received 1,421 formal complaints (0.001% of all travellers) from travellers who have deemed their experience with the CBSA as non-satisfactory.

I want to reassure Canadians that the CBSA takes very seriously the complaints and concerns raised by the public. Each allegation of improper behaviour by CBSA employees is thoroughly investigated, and is acted upon accordingly and promptly.

Our officers are trained professionals who are expected to carry out their duties with respect, integrity, honesty and accountability, while doing their utmost to protect our border. CBSA officers undergo cultural awareness and sensitivity training in order to meet the diverse needs of our citizens. The CBSA is continuously looking at ways to improve our services. In fact, over the past year, we have been developing a new Service Charter with a focus on service standards, while at the same time improving mechanisms to receive and handle complaints from the public.

We will continue to take appropriate measures to ensure that our integrated border service remains fair, honest and professional, and I have full confidence in the dedication and commitment of our border services officers.

Pierre Sabourin
Vice-President Operations, CBSA

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Sat May 01, 2010 6:18 pm

At least he responded rather than not saying anything. I give him credit for that.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".