How arming citizens with guns might cut crime

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Gard
King Poobah

Re: How arming citizens with guns might cut crime

Postby Gard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Don't jab if you don't wanna get jabbed back.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:04 pm

wicked_police wrote:
Gard wrote:But hey, I'm a cop and you're not. How fucked up is that?

Best thing I've read in this thread so far.

If it will stop the craziness of this thread I will totally take the brunt. Come on people I have a momma and a sister to take shots at. :thumbsup:

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:46 pm

tpspastin#9 wrote:Come on people I have a momma and a sister to take shots at. :thumbsup:

Not only does he have a momma and a sister, but they're also the same person...... :wave:
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:58 am

Sumo_CPO wrote:
tpspastin#9 wrote:Come on people I have a momma and a sister to take shots at. :thumbsup:

Not only does he have a momma and a sister, but they're also the same person...... :wave:

HEY! Tha be ma weefe you bay takin aboot.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Off-duty Calif. cop fatally shoots violent man
The man attacked the officer, who was with his 6-year-old daughter

Orange County Register

ANAHEIM, Calif. — An off-duty officer with the Gardena Police Department shot and killed a man when he was attacked at a Del Taco on Sunday afternoon, police said.

Anaheim police responded to a call of a shooting at the Del Taco on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Rio Vista Street at 3:45 p.m. to find two injured men, said Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The restaurant was closed Sunday but open for business again Monday morning.

The off-duty officer, whose name is not being released, was leaving the restaurant with his 6-year-old daughter when he was attacked by a 39-year-old man.

Martinez said the suspect was "highly agitated" before the attack.

"We don't know why, we don't know what preceded it," Martinez said. "As a result, somewhere in that attack the officer fired his weapon and struck the guy."

The officer's attacker, who was shot in the abdomen, was transported to a hospital and pronounced dead shortly after arrival, Martinez said. His name is not being released pending notification of family members.

The off-duty officer's daughter was not injured and was taken to family members after the shooting, Martinez said.

The officer, who has been with the Gardena Police Department for 10 years, was transported to a hospital to treat facial wounds and possible broken bones. His injuries are not life-threatening, Martinez said.

Several Del Taco customers witnessed the shooting and were being questioned by Anaheim police.

Copyright © 2010 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.   
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Copyright 2010 Orange County Register

Tactical
Rookie Member

Postby Tactical » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 pm

But don't worry......that will never happen here in Canada :roll:

three-six
Rookie Member

Postby three-six » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm

VanB wrote:Maybe we should just ban Mexican restaurants instead.

I'm down.
--

Sly
Rookie Member

Postby Sly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Since were still on the topic....and Canada would never ever get to this point but only in the states can you go bowling, head out for some post-game drinks at the local pub and order a pizza with your firearm. :ponder: :banghead:

ALLS CHURCH, Va. - About 60 gun rights activists gather in a pizzeria in the Virginia suburb of Falls Church, just outside of Washington DC, their firearms openly displayed in waist holsters.

They are celebrating what they expect will be the successful enactment in Virginia of legislation expanding gun rights for residents. Republican Governor Bob McDonnell has pledged to sign the measure.

With gun control legislation stalled at the federal level in Congress, a number of states have taken matters into their own hands to make it easier for residents to pack heat.

As many as 43 states already have some form of open-carry laws that allow citizens to carry firearms in plain view.

"Gun laws (authorizing openly carrying weapons) and popularity of gun ownership have been going up considerably," said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, carrying a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol strapped to his belt.

Many gun rights proponents feared that President Barack Obama's administration would take steps to curb gun ownership, but Van Cleave said this has not happened.

In fact, says John Pierce, co-founder of the pro-gun group Opencarry.org, Obama "has done more for us than anybody in recent history," by spurring gun owners to organize at the grassroots level. Also positive, they said, was Obama's decision to allow guns on Amtrak trains and national parks.

"There is absolutely no reason for gun owners to feel insecure at this point," he said.

According to some estimates, roughly 200 million guns are in circulation in the United States in a population of just over 308 million.

Only seven states ban the carrying of firearms openly.

In Virginia, where residents can already openly carry firearms, the new law would expand gun rights to allow concealed carry permit holders to bring loaded weapons into establishments that have a liquor license, including bars, nightclubs, restaurants, pizza parlors and bowling alleys.

"It's legal here, it's been a right since the beginning of the country," says gun owner Rose Brahin, a retired 64-year-old secretary.

"We need to protect our right because if you don't use it they are going to take it away."

Even mass killings like the 2007 shootings of 31 people at Virginia Tech University, a short drive away, have not shaken the conviction of gun rights proponents.

"I carry a firearm for personal protection. I openly carry to show my support for the Second Amendment (to the Constitution) which is our right to bear arms," said 23-year-old student Elizabeth Webb, carrying a Smith & Wesson .38.

"It's a personal responsibility to defend your life in the event of an attack."

Ray Fary, a 53-year-old equipment operator, said carrying a gun is becoming more accepted.

"In most places I go, they treat the pistol as if it may as well be a cellphone or something else you carry under the belt," he said.

Coffee shop giant Starbucks Corp. was forced recently to wade into the gun rights debate, reluctantly saying it would allow customers to openly carry firearms into its stores, as long as they are in compliance with local laws.

The decision sparked outrage among anti-gun activists.

"I don't think having at the next table a guy with a gun is a relaxing way to drink a coffee," said Jill Lucas of the group Protest Easy Guns, which is pressing for more background checks on gun owners and tougher gun control laws as a way to stem gun violence.

While gun rights activists say Virginia is the vanguard, others say the state is asking for trouble.

Virginia Beach police chief Jake Jacocks wrote to the governor, "We can fully expect that at some point in the future a disagreement that today would likely end up in a verbal confrontation, or a bar fight, will inevitably end up with gunfire if you sign this legislation into law."
© Copyright (c) AFP

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/righ ... story.html

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Carrying a gun in the open is absolutely retarded. If a gang member needs a gun, just scope out a weaker person and wait for the opportune moment to jump them and steal the gun.

CO

emmagail
Rookie Member

Postby emmagail » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 pm

I am a big believer in Castle law,and responsible gun ownership but people being allowed to bring guns to places that serve booze?How could that ever qualify as a good idea?
Moron + Booze = Stupid shit
Moron + Booze + Gun = Fatally stupid shit

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 am

Typically these laws allow someone to carry into the establishment, but not drink alcohol.

And yes, openly carrying is tactically a bad idea. It seems to be more of a political statement.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:00 am

Tout.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:25 pm

I travel quite often in the US.. Just came hone from a week in Virginia/West Virginia... There's lots if signage re. Open carry and concealed on the doorways to businesses. It's just the way it is sown there. No big deal.
That said... In a week of bring out and about I didn't see anyone open carrying.
Just because something is legal doesn't mean everyone does it.

There's some irony though... In a state with legal open carry the facility I was visiting... A huge firearms training centre, did not allow the carrying of holstered firearms on the property except for on the ranges...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...