Paid workout time

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Paid workout time

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:30 pm

There are guys that I know that take their lunch as a "double" (meaning 1h30m) and head in to work out at the station gym during that time. They just grab lunch on the road after that when it is quiet.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Chances are, if you work GP (or GD depending where you are) you will never have downtime enough for a workout mid shift. Before or after maybe but not during.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:08 pm

I have friends who work 8-5, and just wouldn't even consider working out after such a long day. They're bushed.
You're kidding me right? :dubious: I work out before 12 hour night and day shifts.....and if I wake up late for a day shift I work out when I get home, even after biking at work.

I would be in fantastic shape if I worked 8/9 hour day shifts.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby IrishCanadian » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:36 pm

devilwoman wrote:
I have friends who work 8-5, and just wouldn't even consider working out after such a long day. They're bushed.
You're kidding me right? :dubious: I work out before 12 hour night and day shifts.....and if I wake up late for a day shift I work out when I get home, even after biking at work.

I would be in fantastic shape if I worked 8/9 hour day shifts.
+1 Unless they are deep sea fisherman or a hard trade like roofers, I have a very hard time believing they have nothing left in the tank to go for a run or hit the gym for 45 minutes.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

Skiddy
Seasoned Member

Postby Skiddy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Come on guys, then they would miss their favourite tv shows after supper..... :smirk:

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Come on guys, then they would miss their favourite tv shows after supper..... :smirk:
Haha. They can do what I do....get on the treadmill and watch the show while you run.

Of course, I will admit to getting too "into" the show as I ran and ended up getting splattered onto my basement wall. :oops: That's not something I would recommend.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:37 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Haha. They can do what I do....get on the treadmill and watch the show while you run.

Of course, I will admit to getting too "into" the show as I ran and ended up getting splattered onto my basement wall. :oops: That's not something I would recommend.
Was it really the tv show, or some of those text messages you happen to get :smirk:
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Jim Street wrote:Chances are, if you work GP (or GD depending where you are) you will never have downtime enough for a workout mid shift. Before or after maybe but not during.
Depends...Toronto probably not...these are York guys I am talking about (as that is where I do Aux so I see them doing it when I am out on ride-alongs) so there is usually enough cars on the road to accommodate it and they'll do it during off-peak times (ie - 9pm or 4am ect).
At least most Police Services have gyms at their stations (at least YRP) with the CBSA they won't even put a gym at our POE because of the "liability". We have even offered to all chip in and purchase the equipment ourselves. :crazy:

Cambo
Seasoned Member

Postby Cambo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I am all for police officers having time on-shift to workout. At the same time there are many other occupations that require or expect you to be in good physical condition but don't allow on shift or paid workout time.

-Pilots
-Doctors/nurses
-Construction Workers
-Loggers
-Cargo Handlers
-Lifegaurds

Just a thought, but people(including myself) who choose to pursue a career in policing should understand that being in shape comes with the territory. Police forces look to recruit people who are motivated and physically active as a requirement for recruitment the same way they look for intelligence and common sense, so why should they have to pay you for that? Also, I think most officers would agree that the majority of Policing is having to use your intellect to diffuse and solve problems. So should there be paid time to do crossword puzzles and arithmetic on shift too? I might get slammed for this post but I think provide a different perspective to the discussion. So, fire away.... And don't forget folks, keep fit and have fun!!
A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both
- Dwight Eisenhower

"Were you born stupid or did you pick that up along the way?"

argyll

Postby argyll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Cambo wrote:I am all for police officers having time on-shift to workout. At the same time there are many other occupations that require or expect you to be in good physical condition but don't allow on shift or paid workout time.

-Pilots
-Doctors/nurses
-Construction Workers
-Loggers
-Cargo Handlers
-Lifegaurds

Just a thought, but people(including myself) who choose to pursue a career in policing should understand that being in shape comes with the territory. Police forces look to recruit people who are motivated and physically active as a requirement for recruitment the same way they look for intelligence and common sense, so why should they have to pay you for that? Also, I think most officers would agree that the majority of Policing is having to use your intellect to diffuse and solve problems. So should there be paid time to do crossword puzzles and arithmetic on shift too? I might get slammed for this post but I think provide a different perspective to the discussion. So, fire away.... And don't forget folks, keep fit and have fun!!
none of those have to wrestle at a moment's notice someone who may be wishing to kill you. As for the construction/loggers/cargo handlers they do work out on the job - it IS their job !
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Your body is a tool, all tools that police use have to be used in the course of their duties and recertifications are done (annually or whatever)

None of the professions or jobs you mentioned relies on a person's body to be in a state of physical fitness that could save themselves or another person's life.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Cambo
Seasoned Member

Postby Cambo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Good points. I was just trying to make the point that people should be expected to stay in shape on their own as part of the responsibility of the job, without having to be motivated by paid time to do it
A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both
- Dwight Eisenhower

"Were you born stupid or did you pick that up along the way?"

Luke101
Grand Poobah

Postby Luke101 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Jim Street wrote:None of the professions or jobs you mentioned relies on a person's body to be in a state of physical fitness that could save themselves or another person's life.
Except for lifeguards, but it is not at the same level as a police officer.

Out of curiousity, is there gym equipment or gym memberships available at every police station? I would find a way to stay in shape either way, but it's good to know what's available now.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Luke101 wrote:Except for lifeguards, but it is not at the same level as a police officer.
Lifeguards aren't in too many fights for their lives in hand to hand combat. This isn't Baywatch.

Luke101
Grand Poobah

Postby Luke101 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Jim Street wrote:
Luke101 wrote:Except for lifeguards, but it is not at the same level as a police officer.
Lifeguards aren't in too many fights for their lives in hand to hand combat. This isn't Baywatch.
I know: I was one. You need to be in good enough shape that if someone's in trouble a hundred feet from shore, you can reach them and swim back while carrying them (the second part's not easy). But still not nearly the level of risk required for a police officer.

I still support police officers being paid to work out on shift, mostly because of those extra-long shifts officers have.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable