Paid workout time

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Paid workout time

Postby meathead1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 am

CourtOfficer wrote:
fox wrote:Everyone has time to work out and stay in shape on there own time. Even police officers. I know cops who hit the gym on a regular basis, they still have a family life.
People would be amazed at how much free time they have if they turned there television off.
However, if services believe that physical fitness is a bonafide occupational requirement, then maintaining that should occur on company time, not my own.

CO
+1
We don't qualify on our chunks on our own time, we have block training for it. Just the same, if they want us to maintain our fitness, then incorporate it into our daily shift.
When I worked straight days in the MP's, it was part of our 8 hours. I was out of the office every day at 1430 to hit the gym.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

The issue at the moment is not part of the contract so it's not something the service will allow to happen. The calls are the priority, not the health or well being of the members.

That being said I do agree that those who want to stay in shape or work out will do so on their own time anyway.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

fox
Sage Member

Postby fox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 pm

C.O I do agree with you.
My post was mostly directed at JLF who said: 'A long work day and family life take priority (or should) and time gets to be an issue.'
I find that the people who say they do not have time to work out, tend to be very lazy people. Everyone has time to work out. Half an hour is all it takes.

bacterie

Postby bacterie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't know if paid workout time would necessarily improve one's lifestyle. I think the money could be better spent somewhere else (within the law enforcement realm)... I think anyone whoTRULY has the mindset to maintain a healthy lifestyle will manage do this on his/her own time.
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

You would.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Luke101
Grand Poobah

Postby Luke101 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 pm

JS, I think you have an admirer. He is following you wherever you go.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

That's what trolls do when they come out from under the bridge.

Gardenfit
King Poobah

Postby Gardenfit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Jim Street wrote:The issue at the moment is not part of the contract so it's not something the service will allow to happen. The calls are the priority, not the health or well being of the members.

That being said I do agree that those who want to stay in shape or work out will do so on their own time anyway.
Ronny Coleman used to work out in his own time, or so he told me... ;)

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Yeah I heard that.

ArmedSteno
Seasoned Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Ya but Ronnie Coleman isn't even that big:P
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

JLF
Veteran Member

Postby JLF » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:33 pm

fox wrote:C.O I do agree with you.
My post was mostly directed at JLF who said: 'A long work day and family life take priority (or should) and time gets to be an issue.'
I find that the people who say they do not have time to work out, tend to be very lazy people. Everyone has time to work out. Half an hour is all it takes.
I am not an officer of any kind so this was merely observation/speculation. I really don't appreciate you implying that I'm lazy. All I'm saying is that a long shift makes scheduling harder than a regular eight hour shift, as well as the point CO made earlier.

EDIT: wasn't Bacterie banned? Didn't everyone cheer?
09/11/25 Career Presentation
09/11/28 RPAT
09/11/30 -Unofficial Pass
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/01/29 Selection Package
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:54 am

Jim Street wrote:That being said I do agree that those who want to stay in shape or work out will do so on their own time anyway.
But is there not a group of people that would like to stay in shape if it was more convenient but aren't willing to go to the same lengths? Very few people join the police who aren't in some way athletic yet very few stay in shape once they're in due to many factors. I think many people would fall into this group. If given a block of time to do it on shift they'd probably work out, but when its competing against everything else they could or must be doing in their spare time, I think it goes down the priority list for many. Yes there are those who will do it anyway because its more of a priority for them, but that's certainly not everybody.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Kopparoo2b
Poobah Overlord

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:59 am

Mark S wrote:
Jim Street wrote:That being said I do agree that those who want to stay in shape or work out will do so on their own time anyway.
But is there not a group of people that would like to stay in shape if it was more convenient but aren't willing to go to the same lengths? Very few people join the police who aren't in some way athletic yet very few stay in shape once they're in due to many factors. I think many people would fall into this group. If given a block of time to do it on shift they'd probably work out, but when its competing against everything else they could or must be doing in their spare time, I think it goes down the priority list for many. Yes there are those who will do it anyway because its more of a priority for them, but that's certainly not everybody.
See...now THATS why you're the Super-Ultra- Mega Poobah guy! You just put it all in perspective......and I believe in any work place, if its offered conveniently, more people would opt to stay fit. After work sometimes (often) means finally getting to spend time with family...kids, hubby/wife. 12 hour shifts, plus 6-7 hrs sleep (hopefully), and that is 19 hrs gone.

I have friends who work 8-5, and just wouldn't even consider working out after such a long day. They're bushed.

Its not easy to be healthy and fit these days.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 am

Mark S wrote:But is there not a group of people that would like to stay in shape if it was more convenient but aren't willing to go to the same lengths? Very few people join the police who aren't in some way athletic yet very few stay in shape once they're in due to many factors. I think many people would fall into this group. If given a block of time to do it on shift they'd probably work out, but when its competing against everything else they could or must be doing in their spare time, I think it goes down the priority list for many. Yes there are those who will do it anyway because its more of a priority for them, but that's certainly not everybody.
Absolutely. The Association in this matter was only looking for 20-30 minutes paid and then kick in their own time (another 30 minutes I assume)

When you factor in overtime and other commitments working out definitely becomes less of a priority. The main issue is that police have to recertify every year on their weapons and driving. If you work in a car you're expected to sit there for hours at a time and within seconds you could be running or in a fight for your life. Not to mention the 25 lbs of gear and the in and out of the cruiser car and how that affects members backs/joints etc.

The constant argument I've seen from letters to editors is the same thing, do it on your own time blah blah blah. Well the wool is completely pulled over their eyes because taxpayers don't seem to have a problem paying firefighters to eat sleep and work out.

It's clear that the public believes cops should be in good shape but they themselves have no idea how that happens or is maintained because most of the ones who are against this type of plan are lazy sloths who wouldn't know where to find their closest gym.

Kopparoo2b
Poobah Overlord

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:34 am

Sutherland said he'd like to see an arrangement where officers give up 20 to 30 minutes of their own free time per shift for workouts, to be matched by 20 to 30 minutes of paid time from the city.
This sounds like a great way to get the ball rolling.........

You never know....
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"