Paid workout time

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

happydude
Veteran Member

Re: Paid workout time

Postby happydude » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Jace wrote:I not only agree with this, but I'd take it one step further. In order to change the size/strength/fitness dynamic between both offenders and officers, and offenders and the public, ban fitness gear in penetentiaries, and prisons.
And you'd have instantaneous riots in every jail. Working out blows off steam and calms them down which make things easier to do my job. For what it's worth about as many get fat and lazy as the ones that get fit.
Greetings, friends. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Then that's one of the systemic problems in our institutions.

If they want to work out and "blow off steam" then put them on a chain gang and do manual labour.

It's bullshit that we accept some asshole can get jacked on taxpayers money. Institutions should be run like they are in the States and their garbage isn't tolerated.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mister E
King Poobah

Postby Mister E » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

I've got to admit at first I thought "Why should my tax dollars go towards paying someone to stay healthy? It's their job."
Then I realized that I get paid, and I get to work out twice a day on Government time. So I guess I support it.

That said, if the police are paid to workout I would expect that the department have regular fitness testing and hold members accountable if they fail.

A half hour is going to do sweet fuck all though, IMO. Thats not enough time to get into PT gear, have a good workout and change into uniform. That said, if people don't stay in shape on their own, paid workout time isn't going to change their habits or lifestyle.

Mister E
King Poobah

Postby Mister E » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Jim Street wrote: It's bullshit that we accept some asshole can get jacked on taxpayers money. Institutions should be run like they are in the States and their garbage isn't tolerated.
They don't have fitness yards in the States?

Jace
Veteran Member

Postby Jace » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Someone mentioned that "all you need is gravity" to build muscle. I agree. Let them do all the pushups and sit ups they want, as I also mentioned. They do not, however, need cutting edge equipment, which can also be used as weapons during riots and fights. Gear that a lot of the public does not have access to without an often unaffordable price.

I never looked at the "cooling off" aspect of things from a correctional officer's standpoint. Point taken. However, Jim Street's comment about manual labour is also very valid.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Mister E wrote:
Jim Street wrote: It's bullshit that we accept some asshole can get jacked on taxpayers money. Institutions should be run like they are in the States and their garbage isn't tolerated.
I'm meaning the supermax prisons where the exercise yard is a small room with a window on the roof. I'm also a fan of the Sheriff Joe Arpaio route.

But I am also in favour of a place like Shawshank or Alcatraz so that says it all.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby IrishCanadian » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Jim Street wrote:
Mister E wrote:
I'm meaning the supermax prisons where the exercise yard is a small room with a window on the roof. I'm also a fan of the Sheriff Joe Arpaio route.

But I am also in favour of a place like Shawshank or Alcatraz so that says it all.
Would WPS paying you to work out Jim not cause a decrease of hilarious forum outbursts as a way to 'cool down' ? I'm opposed to that! But seriously the idea is awesome
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Paying me to work out wouldn't likely get me to work out more, I still do.

And no, it has no bearing on forum outbursts. Stupid people deserve the responses.

Kopparoo2b
Poobah Overlord

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm

You really DON'T need a gym......

If you're low on the dough....try the "Ghetto Workout".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88- ... re=related
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Horatio

Postby Horatio » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 pm

For what its worth when I worked in corrections the entire inmate gym was paid for by the "Inmate Welfare Fund" (relax, its not as bad as it sounds) essentially all the money from canteen, phone calls, and whatever else inmates paid for was placed into this fund, and that fund paid for their gym equiptment, 2x newspapers per unit, and other such perks - at no cost to the tax payer. It doesn't make me really happy to know these guys are being encouraged to work out and get stronger before the next riot, but at least I'm not paying for it. Also, as demonstrated by Charles Bronson (the inmate, not the actor) you really don't need an inmate gym to get shredded.

A little about Bronson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bronson_(prisoner)

His book, Solitary Fitness: http://www.freebronson.co.uk/shop/solit ... s_2007.htm

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

You can give people (whether that be coppers or anyone else) as much paid time to workout as you want but the change needs to come from their own motivation.
You can give them 1hr to workout but if they then go home and do nothing or eat a big mac after then it's pointless.
Physical fitness is a mindset and lifestyle change. Trust me I changed my mind about being fat and dropped 80lbs a couple years ago...the only weight I put back on was muscle....

Mister E
King Poobah

Postby Mister E » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Jim Street wrote: I'm meaning the supermax prisons where the exercise yard is a small room with a window on the roof. I'm also a fan of the Sheriff Joe Arpaio route.

I like Arpaio's way too. Is Shawshank a real place?

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 pm

No......just like the essence of it.

fox
Sage Member

Postby fox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 am

Everyone has time to work out and stay in shape on there own time. Even police officers. I know cops who hit the gym on a regular basis, they still have a family life.
People would be amazed at how much free time they have if they turned there television off.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am

fox wrote:Everyone has time to work out and stay in shape on there own time. Even police officers. I know cops who hit the gym on a regular basis, they still have a family life.
People would be amazed at how much free time they have if they turned there television off.
However, if services believe that physical fitness is a bonafide occupational requirement, then maintaining that should occur on company time, not my own.

CO