Paid workout time

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Bauer
Veteran Member

Paid workout time

Postby Bauer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:42 am

I would definitely support this issue with my union brothers and sisters. :thumbsup:

http://www.canada.com/health/Winnipeg+p ... story.html
I pray to God he's a troll....surely an applicant can not be this stupid. argyll
you're fucked. Go work at mcdonalds. We don't need idiots like you. meathead1

Ottawan
Seasoned Member

Re: Paid workout time

Postby Ottawan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Edit
Last edited by Ottawan on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah, we all know firefighters don't have any down time.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Ottawan wrote:RCMP officers get one hour of paid workout time per week if they promise to do at least that much on their own time.
Yeah, basically so long as you do at least that much policing on your own time. Its in policy, but impossible to implement, so its worthless.

Workouts should be on the clock, and mandatory.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree. Workout time should be compensated. Other training is compensated, why not physical training?

I'll work out regardless, but what a nice perk that would be.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

JLF
Veteran Member

Postby JLF » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm

It seems like this would be a huge benefit to any police service. I'm sure many officers don't work out nearly as much as they should and some not at all. A long work day and family life take priority (or should) and time gets to be an issue. Making the time available during shift, paid, and mandatory would ensure that a service's members are maintaining the fitness level required to do their jobs. I remember a thread a while back linking a video of a blob in uniform being dismissed in the States somewhere for falling way short of physical requirements. It looked like he should have been turfed a few chili cheese dogs ago! A system like this would ensure respective forces are getting the physical performance they are paying for and there would be no excuse or even difficulties finding time anymore. The benefit for members is obvious.

I don't see this ever flying though. The budget is too tight and Winnipeg (for instance) is too concerned with purchasing a helicopter and respective crews.
09/11/25 Career Presentation
09/11/28 RPAT
09/11/30 -Unofficial Pass
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/01/29 Selection Package
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

Jace
Veteran Member

Postby Jace » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

I not only agree with this, but I'd take it one step further. In order to change the size/strength/fitness dynamic between both offenders and officers, and offenders and the public, ban fitness gear in penetentiaries, and prisons.

If I need a gym membership, I have to provide one for myself, even at the local municipal community rec centre. If offenders want to keep fit in prison, walk the track, or do pushups and situps in their cells. That would deal with any human rights concerns, and maintain a standard of health for them.

However, if someone is bent on remaining a useless crumb, I want that individual to be dealt with easily by an officer, with as little risk to the officer or public as possible.

JLF
Veteran Member

Postby JLF » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 am

No offence, but do you really think that those who want to get ripped in prison won't do so without free weights? Body mass and gravity are all you need really. I do agree that it would help, but building muscle isn't something that you can prevent.
09/11/25 Career Presentation
09/11/28 RPAT
09/11/30 -Unofficial Pass
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/01/29 Selection Package
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:12 am

Jace wrote:I not only agree with this, but I'd take it one step further. In order to change the size/strength/fitness dynamic between both offenders and officers, and offenders and the public, ban fitness gear in penetentiaries, and prisons.
you read my mind.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Howard
Poobah Overlord

Postby Howard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 am

While I agree 1000% that the good guys should get paid to train and the bad guys should not, from a strict legal/binding arbitration standpoint it's more difficult to argue.

HOWEVER, if members are required to maintain a measured level of fitness and verify this by passing routinely scheduled physical fitness tests, then they have to be allowed some time to train on the clock. That would give the union argument much more weight...IMO...

Now, here's the big problem.

In the CF we have to pass an annual PT test. The previous CDS made it a point to emphasize the importance of fitness and units were directed to allow people time to get to the gym whenever possible. That's beautiful, in theory. Reality is that with decreasing budgets & staffing and increases in taskings/workload, it's hard to justify saying, "I'm heading to the gym for a workout" during scheduled work time when you're so far behind it ain't funny.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. (Thomas Jefferson)

dusty
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dusty » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:44 am

When I was on the road it was impossible to get a workout in even on a lunch hour. I will workout on my own time if need be, but there are a lot of coppers who can't due to family and other commitments. I strongly believe that there should be paid time for coppers to work out in order to have a fitter stronger service. Good to see Winnipegs association pushing for this to happen.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:41 am

I was talking to a doctor, who stated that he feels the service should pay for workout time because the officers he sees were fit and now working the job and having a family have had their cardio (and overall fitness) decline. His thing was, officers work '12 hour' shifts, but they could be there for upwards of that filling out paper work, then you expect them to workout after that? Only to go home, and do it all again the day after? He said it was a crazy expectation.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Luke101
Grand Poobah

Postby Luke101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 am

Jace wrote:I not only agree with this, but I'd take it one step further. In order to change the size/strength/fitness dynamic between both offenders and officers, and offenders and the public, ban fitness gear in penetentiaries, and prisons.
That hardly seems fair - they need to stay healthy. Tell corrections I'd be happy to donate an aerobics tape and thighmaster to replace their weightlifting equipment.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 am

Winnipeg's chief has since nixed this.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 48767.html
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Whi_Tan

Postby Whi_Tan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Mark S wrote:
Ottawan wrote:RCMP officers get one hour of paid workout time per week if they promise to do at least that much on their own time.
Yeah, basically so long as you do at least that much policing on your own time. Its in policy, but impossible to implement, so its worthless.

Workouts should be on the clock, and mandatory.
Actually that's not the intent of the policy. It's intended to be a workout time match. If I workout for an hour on shift on Monday, I will also workout for an hour pre or post shift on Thursday... I'd like to see that raised to two one hour blocks.

Cheers.