Canceled ride-along?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
TheWidowsSon
Seasoned Member

Re: Canceled ride-along?

Postby TheWidowsSon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm

th wrote:Yup. I went on a ride-along years ago and ended up writing statements and being interviewed by internal affairs ... nice for them to have a civilian witness who actually saw what happened.

The following is NOT aimed at Th in particular but speaks to a generalization of civilian ride-alongs.

Given the demonstrated lack of understanding of some civilian members on this board as to what being a police officer entails, I understand 100% why some officers may not like taking civilian (witnesses) out on the road with them. Nothing like being second guessed by some know-it-all at an Internal Investigation Hearing. Especially one that is trying hard to impress because they have aspirations of being hired one day. :twitch:

Hell, I don't want them around at my job either for the same reason. I'm not saying they're all bad. Just that I wouldn't want to take the chance, is all.
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

TheWidowsSon wrote:
th wrote:Yup. I went on a ride-along years ago and ended up writing statements and being interviewed by internal affairs ... nice for them to have a civilian witness who actually saw what happened.

The following is NOT aimed at Th in particular but speaks to a generalization of civilian ride-alongs.

Given the demonstrated lack of understanding of some civilian members on this board as to what being a police officer entails, I understand 100% why some officers may not like taking civilian (witnesses) out on the road with them. Nothing like being second guessed by some know-it-all at an Internal Investigation Hearing. Especially one that is trying hard to impress because they have aspirations of being hired one day. :twitch:

Hell, I don't want them around at my job either for the same reason. I'm not saying they're all bad. Just that I wouldn't want to take the chance, is all.

Totally agree.
:wave:

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm

th wrote:
TheWidowsSon wrote:

Totally agree.

+1
most, if not all civilian ride alongs, have NO idea what police go through in a day. The last thing I need is some civy who is looking to score brownie points by turning rat (for lack of a better term). What happens in my cruiser or with my platoon mates stays with them. I don't need someone thinking they are doing the right thing and only making trouble. I don't mind taking the occasional ride along out but you have got to know me pretty well and be a solid cat that I know I can trust if shit hits the fan.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Well, I can understand you point of view completely. In my case, I was asked if I wanted to go for a ride before my applications started to see what goes on...and I said yes. Plus, I did know the officer and I guess I was o.k. in their books to go. The notebook was the "little black book" officers carry. Certain codes were explained to me, and how you're expected to write what you observe. I learned a lot about paperwork in those 4 days.... 88)

Of course you're right, so many people have no idea what can happen on any given day in the life of a cop. And unless they become one, or are related to one, they probably will continue to live not knowing. T.V. makes it exciting, even when its horrible and people die, the media transfer never can let you in to the reality of it all.

Its not for everyone, but I think most officers who get in wouldn't want to do anything else......
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

TheWidowsSon wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... youth.html

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 pm

meathead1 wrote:most, if not all civilian ride alongs, have NO idea what police go through in a day. The last thing I need is some civy who is looking to score brownie points by turning rat (for lack of a better term). What happens in my cruiser or with my platoon mates stays with them. I don't need someone thinking they are doing the right thing and only making trouble. I don't mind taking the occasional ride along out but you have got to know me pretty well and be a solid cat that I know I can trust if shit hits the fan.

No offense intended by this, but what are you doing in your cruiser that you don't want people to find out?

Now my line of work is somewhat different, but it is somewhat similar in that it does involve lots of interaction with people of dubious trustworthiness. I want witnesses. I embrace witnesses. Hell, I refuse to meet anybody one on one unless a witness is present (exception: police and other people employed in the justice system).

If people want to "rat" me out they're free to do so, because I'll stand behind anything I've done. But what I do worry about is someone making up a story against me.

Now I totally get worrying about having a civilian in your car if something goes down, about having to worry not just about yourself, but this civilian. But to worry about not having witnesses just doesn't register for me.

Heck, an independent witness might just save your bacon one day. I've done opinions on just enough files reviewing police actions to realize if it is just your word against the accused that matter is probably going to go to court. But not if you have an independent witness.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

TheWidowsSon
Seasoned Member

Postby TheWidowsSon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:No offense intended by this, but what are you doing in your cruiser that you don't want people to find out?

Now my line of work is somewhat different, but it is somewhat similar in that it does involve lots of interaction with people of dubious trustworthiness. I want witnesses. I embrace witnesses. Hell, I refuse to meet anybody one on one unless a witness is present (exception: police and other people employed in the justice system).

If people want to "rat" me out they're free to do so, because I'll stand behind anything I've done. But what I do worry about is someone making up a story against me.

Now I totally get worrying about having a civilian in your car if something goes down, about having to worry not just about yourself, but this civilian. But to worry about not having witnesses just doesn't register for me.

Heck, an independent witness might just save your bacon one day. I've done opinions on just enough files reviewing police actions to realize if it is just your word against the accused that matter is probably going to go to court. But not if you have an independent witness.

I was going to reply to this but then I thought, there is no use because a lawyer would never understand. :alright:
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't do anything that I have to hide. What I don't want to have to deal with is the perception a completely untrained civilian person has about what I do day to day in my job. I trust the people I work with. I don't trust anyone else.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm

meathead1 wrote:I don't do anything that I have to hide. What I don't want to have to deal with is the perception a completely untrained civilian person has about what I do day to day in my job. I trust the people I work with. I don't trust anyone else.

That says it all.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 pm

I don't do anything that I have to hide. What I don't want to have to deal with is the perception a completely untrained civilian person has about what I do day to day in my job. I trust the people I work with. I don't trust anyone else.

Well said. While there may be some similiarities between a job as a lawyer and policing they are very few and far between. The two jobs are worlds apart.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey KSS....are you hot? If so, I would be happy to bring you out for a shift:P
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:I've done opinions on just enough files reviewing police actions to realize if it is just your word against the accused that matter is probably going to go to court.
But it's funny that when its just civilians without independent witnesses crowns withdraw the charges faster than you can say "dirty liberals".

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:02 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:Like Dusty has said, if this is with Toronto, we just do not have the staff, meaning supervisors, to dedicate time to take out a ride along.

Also, Toronto is VERY busy and lately we have had many high profile and violent calls for service that a civilian ride along would just get in the way and be a liability.

My division very rarely allows ride alongs. You have to be a relative of an officer here or have connections up high.

Its just not safe for you.

You are required to wear a vest, and we do not supply them.

TC I've flown over Toronto a couple of times now, and it just looks like a big peaceful modern city, I just don't see how it could get that rough.. :crazy:

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:25 pm

We parked behind them with our lights right in their back window. So we could see the driver swig something, and then pour something. Anyways, Officer went on drivers side, I went on passenger side.

No offense to you Kopparoo2b, but I wouldn't want that. I'm surprised the officer allowed it. We had a co-op student working for us and even when he was in the vehicle with us he never got front and center during traffic stops or anything. During bar nights, if the poo poo hit the fan he was told to go to a safe location and stay there. I'm not being rude here, but I have enough to worry about in regards to my own and my co-workers safety, I don't want to have to worry about someone who isn't trained and who I would be responsible for. I had no issues showing him notebook taking (which I did), report taking, how to investigate certain things and allowing him to witness traffic stops.

I think TPS policy is bang on in regards to ride-a-longs. Its nothing against anyone wanting to participate in one, I just think its a wee too dangerous out there.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 pm

devilwoman wrote: I don't want to have to worry about someone who isn't trained and who I would be responsible for.

which is why I won't take ride alongs or auxiliary members out any more.