Canceled ride-along?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
KSS
Rookie Member

Canceled ride-along?

Postby KSS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey,

I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong thread as I'm not quite sure as to where I should be posting this. But I was wondering why my ride-along was canceled? Or why a ride-along would be canceled?

I was all scheduled and ready to go for my ride-along when I got a call from the division indicating that my ride-along has been canceled and that they cannot accommodate me at this time. I asked why, and he replied saying that its something that cannot be discussed right now - he didn't even mention that they will re-schedule me. Just the fact that they cannot "accommodate me at this time” Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I'm thinking that the canceling of the ride-along has to do with me :?

What's your feedback/input on my situation? Just curious to know why a ride-along would be canceled...

-edited-
Last edited by KSS on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Molson
Rookie Member

Re: Canceled ride-along?

Postby Molson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm

It could have been something as simple as they didn't have enough officers on shift at that time. Shit happens.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Molson wrote:It could have been something as simple as they didn't have enough officers on shift at that time. Shit happens.

:aye: Or maybe they couldn't find one of their vehicles so there wasn't enough room for you. I had that one happen to me during my practicum once.
Sed libera nos a malo.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Molson wrote:It could have been something as simple as they didn't have enough officers on shift at that time. Shit happens.

:aye: Or maybe they couldn't find one of their vehicles so there wasn't enough room for you. I had that one happen to me during my practicum once.

Because police officers misplace their vehicles on a regular basis..... :ponder: :banghead:
POLICE OFFICER

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:49 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

Oh no your back :banghead:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:50 pm

KSS wrote:Hey,

I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong thread as I'm not quite sure as to where I should be posting this. But I was wondering why my ride-along was canceled? Or why a ride-along would be canceled?

I was all scheduled and ready to go for my ride-along when I got a call from the division indicating that my ride-along has been canceled and that they cannot accommodate me at this time. I asked why, and he replied saying that its something that cannot be discussed right now. He didn’t encourage me to re-apply. He was just a complete a** to me. I'm upset because he didn't give me a valid reason and he didn't even mention that they will re-schedule me. Just the fact that they cannot "accommodate me at this time” Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I'm thinking that the canceling of the ride-along has to do with me; something personal, which I don’t understand as I don’t have a police record and have a clean record. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a PO and he doesn't understand why my ride-along was canceled and is a bit confused too. :?

What's your feedback on my situation?

Keep in mind that just because you apply for and are accepted to have a ride along it is no way a binding contact that the police have to accommodate. There are many reasons that ride-alongs’ are cancelled, it could be anything from lack of resources, issues within the unit you’re scheduled to go with or even refusal of the members to take you along. Police Services are not required to provide this sort of activity and only do so as a public relations type of thing, predominately for people interested in policing as a career etc. I would not try to take it personally, I would also point out that the person who called and cancelled is probably not the person who scheduled your ride a long, he is not required to provide you with a reason why it was cancelled. Speak to your friend who is a PO and get him to hook you up with a ride along.
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:51 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

Obviously this was a poorly constructed excuse they used so they didn't have to take you out.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm

RJB wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

Obviously this was a poorly constructed excuse they used so they didn't have to take you out.

What do you mean RJB.... Doesn`t it happen to you all the time to lose your police vehicle?

DUDE!!! Where`s my car???
POLICE OFFICER

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Never assume that a ride along is the most awesome thing to do. Sure it can be ok but there are many caveats and liabilities that go along with them.

His response was likely standard as he doesn't know you or care.

Just reapply and keep talking to your friend.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm

RJB wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

Haha, no. It turned out one of the members took the car home with him, and because it was a long weekend there were extra members and auxiliaries.
Sed libera nos a malo.

KSS
Rookie Member

Postby KSS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks all!

I appreciate your input.
:thumbsup:

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 pm

There is another possibility.

If you feel the officer was such a "complete ass," and you seem to feel he owed you an explanation ... maybe it's not resources, vehicles, manpower or scheduling. Maybe it's just you.

Better rethink your attitude a bit young man.

KSS
Rookie Member

Postby KSS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

FYI I'm a female...

And yes I am aware that maybe it is just me...

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm

it's also quite possible that the officer that was voluntold for this changed their mind or expressed the opinion that they do not like taking out ride alongs. There are MANY officers that have that opinion.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:57 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

Ummm...... :dubious:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"