Mississauga Transit Enforcement

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Whistler
Veteran Member

Re: Mississauga Transit Enforcement

Postby Whistler » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:41 pm

locuss187 wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:SPoke with them today, apparently I didnt answer the Law Enforcement knowledge written part appropriately. :x

I bet you would answer the Police Officer with Too Much Time on Their Hands so I Rant on Security Guard Forums questions just fine... just saying

It Is Really Annoying When You Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence Not To Mention Most LE Jobs Require Post Secondary Which You Will Never Get Writing Like This.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Whistler wrote:
locuss187 wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:SPoke with them today, apparently I didnt answer the Law Enforcement knowledge written part appropriately. :x

I bet you would answer the Police Officer with Too Much Time on Their Hands so I Rant on Security Guard Forums questions just fine... just saying

It Is Really Annoying When You Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence Not To Mention Most LE Jobs Require Post Secondary Which You Will Never Get Writing Like This.

Maybe locuss187 is a Real Estate Agent... take a look at write ups on homes for sale... ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm

I did testing awhile back. People were lined up out the door, gym packed with over 100 people just for that day. People were getting thrown out like crazy (copying, talking, not dressed right, cell phone not turned off) really strict and treated you like you were a god damn inamte. I can only imagine what it was like this time around. Overfucken rated for a security guard job if you ask me.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Security Guard. That's all it is.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

North of 60
Veteran Member

Postby North of 60 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Why is security guard stuff on here again? Nothing to do with law enforcement.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Don't know anything about this tranist outfit, but for what it's worth, they are transit by-law officers as well. Sounds like they may have been just trying to reduce numbers. For cheating, I don't blame them.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

It may only be a security guard job, but for 30 something bucks an hour you can't really blame people who are fighting for a position.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm

True in this day and age.

Half decent pay and benefits are worth a lot to a family.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Security Guard. That's all it is.

More like lottery ticket.

I think 31 bucks an hour is what the average primary care paramedic makes (I could be a little off but its close).

Not to mention benefits, job security, and probably a somewhat interesting day to day job.

Also most Transit Bylaw/Security gigs in the bigger cities are s/cst now so I wouldn't be too surprised if Mississauga goes that route eventually.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Whistler wrote:

I think 31 bucks an hour is what the average primary care paramedic makes (I could be a little off but its close).

Not to mention benefits, job security, and probably a somewhat interesting day to day job.

Also most Transit Bylaw/Security gigs in the bigger cities are s/cst now so I wouldn't be too surprised if Mississauga goes that route eventually.

Mississauga has a small group of people that keep driving that issue (want to see S/C status for transit). It may come about but I don't think anyone with any clout is worked up about making it happen.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Whistler wrote:

They might eventually, personally I don't see it happening anytime soon. From what I've read and heard from others, the entire department is a cult of personality and questioning existing policy is a big no no.

The only fear I'd have with a job like this is that as far as I can tell its non union. When it comes to Security/LE jobs I like unions and associations because they protect your job from being contracted out, having said that, you'd probably be okay since Mississauga doesn't seem to like outsourcing.
Last edited by RemingtonSteel on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Whistler wrote:Also most Transit Bylaw/Security gigs in the bigger cities are s/cst now so I wouldn't be too surprised if Mississauga goes that route eventually.

And if that happens, well, it'll just change EVERYTHING!
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:13 am

Toronto Corporate Security are non-union as well (same as Toronto Zoo security). Although both are paid far less than Sauga. Toronto By-Law make around the 30/hr mark.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 am

At some point I think you will see municipal corporate security fade away and you will see more pure by-law units and transit will become stand alone units. As time goes on and if global crap does not settle transit safety will become an even greater issue. That will drive change. Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon how you view this, what will likely happen is that things will settle down and the powers that be will step back as think everything is just fine and we can go back to pinching pennies. Then some crazies will surface and clobber the shit out of one or more of our transit systems. The penny pinching bean counters will then say they could not have foreseen that and it won't likely happen again. :roll:

As for enforcement and general safety relating to transit systems. It is very important in bigger cities. I think that our transit system brass should sit down and look at what is working for GO, TTC, York and OC and then start working to create and maintain solid transit safety and enforcement units that can look after the mundane matters of every day life on a transit system. Please let us not debate the interpretation of mundane matters and accept that it is the lesser things that the regular police may not be needed for (i.e. fare evasion, trespassing, mischief, minor assaults....).
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:At some point I think you will see municipal corporate security fade away and you will see more pure by-law units and transit will become stand alone units. As time goes on and if global crap does not settle transit safety will become an even greater issue. That will drive change. Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon how you view this, what will likely happen is that things will settle down and the powers that be will step back as think everything is just fine and we can go back to pinching pennies. Then some crazies will surface and clobber the shit out of one or more of our transit systems. The penny pinching bean counters will then say they could not have foreseen that and it won't likely happen again. :roll:

As for enforcement and general safety relating to transit systems. It is very important in bigger cities. I think that our transit system brass should sit down and look at what is working for GO, TTC, York and OC and then start working to create and maintain solid transit safety and enforcement units that can look after the mundane matters of every day life on a transit system. Please let us not debate the interpretation of mundane matters and accept that it is the lesser things that the regular police may not be needed for (i.e. fare evasion, trespassing, mischief, minor assaults....).

I agree %100 with this. Is this not the entire idea behind Special Constables. To alleviate some of the pressure on municipal forces by dealing with (and just to reiterate, not bashing anyone and not getting into what mundane is to you) the mundane issues that don't always need Police intervention. It seems ridiculous to me that a city of Mississauga's size has not made a push to have their transit enforcement sworn in a Specials :crazy: .
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers