Mississauga Transit Enforcement

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
TackleberryOnDuty
Rookie Member

Mississauga Transit Enforcement

Postby TackleberryOnDuty » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Don't see this posted too often. Closes March 19th....

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/cityofmississauga.job_posting?pi_job_id=9437674&pi_search_id=590802902&pi_sort=POST_DATE&pi_curjob=2&pi_maxjob=15

Transit Enforcement Officers

Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Security
Industry: Government
Year(s) of Experience: 2
Number Of Positions: 3
Date Posted: Mar 12, 2009

Mississauga is Canada’s sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City is considered to be an employer of choice, delivering quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is a dynamic, diverse and progressive municipality, known for its economic strength and for being Canada’s safest city.

CORPORATE SERVICES DEPARTMENT
FACILITIES & PROPERTY MANAGEMENT DIVISION
TRANSIT ENFORCEMENT SERVICES

requires

TRANSIT ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
3 - Permanent Full Time
2 - Part Time (up to 20 hours per week)

Job Specifications:
Community College graduate in law and security, Police Sciences/Management or an approved equivalent of experience and education in a mobile enforcement capacity. Minimum two years experience in either an Enforcement Officer or Patrol Officer position. Working knowledge of modern computer control systems for card access, lighting, elevators, security and fire alarm systems for large buildings is an asset. Must be computer literate. Minimum 40 wpm accurate and proficient keyboarding skills as well as strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential for this position. Must have a working knowledge of the Criminal Code of Canada, Trespass To Property Act and Public Works Protection Act. Must be able to exercise sound judgment. Honesty and integrity; tact and diplomacy are absolutely essential. Must be qualified in First Aid, WHMIS, CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention. Must posses a valid driver's license with an excellent driving record and have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Must be physically fit and able to identify and deal with potentially volatile situations. This position may require 12 hour shifts; including days, afternoons, evenings and weekends, and may involve working alone.

Primary Responsibilities:
Reporting to the On-Duty Supervisor, the successful candidate is responsible for security and law enforcement duties on all Mississauga Transit properties including facilities, vehicles, and the transit system. The candidates primary responsibilities will be law enforcement, maintaining order, emergency/incident response, investigation, patrol, crime prevention, inspection, detection, deterrent and customer service in accordance with defined procedures; removing unauthorized persons from Transit property and issue Trespass Cautions to violators in accordance with the Trespass to Property Act. Other duties to include assessing and analyzing situations to determine violations of various Acts and by-laws, including the Criminal Code of Canada, Trespass to Property Act, Public Works Protection Act and City of Mississauga Transit By-law; exercising powers of arrest and detention when required; identifying hazardous situations which could jeopardize the safety of persons on site; investigating personal and property related incidents; responding to urgent and potentially volatile situations which could involve the detention of individuals and taking appropriate action; issuing City of Mississauga Transit by-law fines and warning notices; recommending and initiating the removal of unauthorized vehicles when circumstance warrant such actions; directing traffic on Transit property as required; perform emergency first aid services to public and staff as necessary; perform other related duties as assigned.

Salary or Hourly Rate: $49,463 - $65,950 - Hourly rate $23.78 - $31.71

Applications will be received only on-line by March 19, 2009.

A Criminal Record Search "Vulnerable Sector Screening" will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.

We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Act. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Please note that once you have submitted your resume an on-line a questionnaire will appear on screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

TimeToGoTactical

Re: Mississauga Transit Enforcement

Postby TimeToGoTactical » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm

CrossfitCop wrote:It's as good of a semi-public sector job as you'll ever get, with the following caveats;

Do not ever, ever question any existing policy or procedure. Do not suggest a way of doing things that is better than they way that things are done now. The department is a cult of personality, and by questioning existing policy/procedure, you question the immortal wisdom of the Great Leader. And you will be shown the door, pronto.

If you pass the ridiculously difficult testing just accept the job, shut your damned mouth, do the work exactly as they tell you to do it, cash your paycheques, and enjoy the money, and try to ignore the fact that you are expected to be an overpaid drone with no independence of thought or action outside of the very small box they place you in.

Never even joke about why unions/associations are occasionally a good thing in bad workplaces, because A. it is an attack upon the benevolence and all-knowingness of the Great Leader, and B. as one semi-sociopathic, police-hating duty supervisor said, `there are no bad workplaces, only bad employees'. And he meant it.

You have been warned.

huh... Seems like a good time.
Oh NO 5-0!

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Are these guys provincial offenses officers?

Are they looking into special constable status?

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 pm

CrossfitCop wrote:It's as good of a semi-public sector job as you'll ever get, with the following caveats;

Do not ever, ever question any existing policy or procedure. Do not suggest a way of doing things that is better than they way that things are done now. The department is a cult of personality, and by questioning existing policy/procedure, you question the immortal wisdom of the Great Leader. And you will be shown the door, pronto.

If you pass the ridiculously difficult testing just accept the job, shut your damned mouth, do the work exactly as they tell you to do it, cash your paycheques, and enjoy the money, and try to ignore the fact that you are expected to be an overpaid drone with no independence of thought or action outside of the very small box they place you in.

Never even joke about why unions/associations are occasionally a good thing in bad workplaces, because A. it is an attack upon the benevolence and all-knowingness of the Great Leader, and B. as one semi-sociopathic, police-hating duty supervisor said, `there are no bad workplaces, only bad employees'. And he meant it.

You have been warned.

LOL Its funny because I know a guy that got out of this unit to be a bylaw officer for a different city and he basically said the same thing.

I took the test for this job about 3 years ago. I didnt finish in time. I was in a gym with about 700 people.
Good pay and good to work for Mississauga and all, but its a little over rated.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Apollo wrote:Are these guys provincial offenses officers?

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/reside ... 103000571n

Based on their little blurb, yes I would assume they have MLEO/POO status. They are not Specials though, don't think they have enough staff, incidents to warrant it (yet.)

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Interesting. Looks like a good gig. I'll pass it on to a couple of my buddies.

It looks like good coin, and City of Mississauga is a good employer I hear.

TimeToGoTactical

Postby TimeToGoTactical » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I do not believe they are specials, I believe they only use TPA/ 494. But I can't find it on their site.

" A Mississauga Transit Enforcement Officer has the authority to arrest, issue fines or ban someone from using the Mississauga Transit system. Their authorization to do so comes from various forms of legislation, including the Criminal Code of Canada, Public Works Protection Act, Trespass to Property Act and the Transit (rules and regulations) bylaw 425-03 in the City of Mississauga. " http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/reside ... 103000571n
Oh NO 5-0!

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 pm

TimeToGoTactical wrote:

I do not believe they are specials, I believe they only use TPA/ 494. But I can't find it on their site.

" A Mississauga Transit Enforcement Officer has the authority to arrest, issue fines or ban someone from using the Mississauga Transit system. Their authorization to do so comes from various forms of legislation, including the Criminal Code of Canada, Public Works Protection Act, Trespass to Property Act and the Transit (rules and regulations) bylaw 425-03 in the City of Mississauga. " http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/reside ... 103000571n

Wouldn't that act make them Peace Officers? lol I'm just saying.. :mrgreen:

parks department dave
Rookie Member

Postby parks department dave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:11 pm

I saw one of them in they're dodge charger the other day. Just curious, are mississauga corporate security guards and transit enforcement officers exempt from the new private investigators and security guards act ?

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:12 pm

parks department dave wrote:I saw one of them in they're dodge charger the other day. Just curious, are mississauga corporate security guards and transit enforcement officers exempt from the new private investigators and security guards act ?

They are not exempt from the new security guard act unless they are special constables.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Apollo wrote:
TimeToGoTactical wrote:

Wouldn't that act make them Peace Officers? lol I'm just saying.. :mrgreen:

No, they would mearly have the powers of a peace officer for the purposes of the Public Work's Protection Act ONLY. When they are enforing this act as "guards" as the act says, they are not peace officers and don't have the protections and priviledges of one the same as a police officer or special constable would have. Saying a guard has the powers of a peace officer for this act really means nothing.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Think we went through this already, like he said, only for the Act mentioned. Difference of words, powers of a Peace Officer is different from being a Peace Officer.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Think we went through this already, like he said, only for the Act mentioned. Difference of words, powers of a Peace Officer is different from being a Peace Officer.

exactly.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 pm

either way, 65K is good coin. Don't see too many security gigs paying that much.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:58 pm

WRONG....

Municipal By-law Officers are Peace Officers for the purpose of enforcing municipal by-laws... S. 15(2) Police Services Act of Ontario

R. v. Truko (PCBC 2000) Municipal By-law Enforcement Officers are PEACE OFFICERS for the obstruct Peace Officer and assault Peace Officer section of the Criminal Code as they fall in the "other person employed in the preservation of the peace", the case stemmed from an incident where a Capital District By-law Officer arrest a guy who was smoking a cigarette in a bar and refused to give his name to the by-law officers to issue a Ticket...By-law Officers arrest guy for obstruction, guy assaults By-law Officers, conviction for assault and obstruct peace officer registered...

Danke Shone

Sure by-law officers are peace officers as the PSA states for by-laws. The Public Work's Protection Act is not a by-law.

Police Services Act section 15

Municipal by-law enforcement officers

15. (1) A municipal council may appoint persons to enforce the by-laws of the municipality. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (1).

Peace officers

(2) Municipal law enforcement officers are peace officers for the purpose of enforcing municipal by-laws. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (2); 1997, c. 8, s. 13.

Public Work's Protection Act.

Powers of guard

(2)Every person appointed as a guard under this section has for the purposes of this Act the powers of a peace officer.

Note the PWPA says appointed as a guard, not peace officer. Transit security are by-law officers and can enforce city by-laws on transit property. As set out in the PSA they are peace officers for by-law enforcement only. But because they are only peace officers for the purpose of enforcing by-laws as the PSA states, they would not be peace officers when enforcing the PWPA, but rather a guard.

As for a by-law officers powers of arrest. They would only have powers under sec 494cc because their peace officer status is for by-law enforcement only, not criminal code enforcement. However, they could arrest someone for obstruct if the person is standing right in front of them. Obstruct peace officer is a dual procedure offence, so the by-law officer could arrest when found commiting.

Not sure what you're arguing here, but it appears we agree with one another.