Peace Officer

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Peace Officer

Postby vandatubes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi

Iam thinking about relocating to Canada and I wish to know what is a Peace Officer?

And do you have to be a Canadian Citizen to be one?

I live in London and employed as an Enforcement Officer for The London Borough of Greenwich.

My main duites are to prevent, deter and challenge infringements of Anti Social Behaviour.

I can arrest people using my any person power but this is not encouraged by my Supervisors

I have a warrant card but Iam not a Police Officer (anymore).

Advice most welcome.

And its raining here.

regards 88)

tubes
vandatubes
Rookie Member

Re: Peace Officer

Postby ryan.p » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 pm

From the Criminal Code of Canada:

"peace officer" includes

(a) a mayor, warden, reeve, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer and justice of the peace,

(b) a member of the Correctional Service of Canada who is designated as a peace officer pursuant to Part I of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act, and a warden, deputy warden, instructor, keeper, jailer, guard and any other officer or permanent employee of a prison other than a penitentiary as defined in Part I of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act,

(c) a police officer, police constable, bailiff, constable, or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace or for the service or execution of civil process,

(d) an officer within the meaning of the Customs Act, the Excise Act or the Excise Act, 2001, or a person having the powers of such an officer, when performing any duty in the administration of any of those Acts,

(d.1) an officer authorized under subsection 138(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act,

(e) a person designated as a fishery guardian under the Fisheries Act when performing any duties or functions under that Act and a person designated as a fishery officer under the Fisheries Act when performing any duties or functions under that Act or the Coastal Fisheries Protection Act,

(f) the pilot in command of an aircraft

(i) registered in Canada under regulations made under the Aeronautics Act, or

(ii) leased without crew and operated by a person who is qualified under regulations made under the Aeronautics Act to be registered as owner of an aircraft registered in Canada under those regulations,

while the aircraft is in flight, and

(g) officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces who are

(i) appointed for the purposes of section 156 of the National Defence Act, or

(ii) employed on duties that the Governor in Council, in regulations made under the National Defence Act for the purposes of this paragraph, has prescribed to be of such a kind as to necessitate that the officers and non-commissioned members performing them have the powers of peace officers;

| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |
ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 pm

vandatubes wrote:Hi

Iam thinking about relocating to Canada and I wish to know what is a Peace Officer?

I live in London and employed as an Enforcement Officer for The London Borough of Greenwich.

My main duites are to prevent, deter and challenge infringements of Anti Social Behaviour.

I can arrest people using my any person power but this is not encouraged by my Supervisors

Advice most welcome.

And its raining here.

regards 88)

tubes

Except for Alberta, no one holds the "office of a Peace Officer" but rather they meet the definition of a Peace Officer by virtue of his/her office as a Police Officer, Correctional Officer, Special Constable, Sheriffs officer, Conservation Officer and others as identified under section 2 of the Criminal Code of Canada. Those who are defined as peace officers such as the positions above, can enforce federal legislation and have powers of arrest.

First you need to decide what province you wish to relocate to, then decide what type of Law Enforcement field you wish to persue.
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby vandatubes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:57 pm

We are looking at Alberta and in May I am to Canadian Expo in Earls Court.

Just need some intel about how a Brit (if) can slot into the role of Peace Office and ask the right questions at the Expo.

kind Regards

Tubes
vandatubes
Rookie Member

Postby Bald Man » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm

vandatubes wrote:We are looking at Alberta and in May I am to Canadian Expo in Earls Court.

Just need some intel about how a Brit (if) can slot into the role of Peace Office and ask the right questions at the Expo.

kind Regards

Tubes

Well Alberta is unique in that they restructered and renamed their special constables, which were appointed under the Alberta police act like every other province, by creating a new Alberta Peace Officer Act which includes various levels of Peace Officers depending on job. Alberta Sheriffs officers being the highest level because they are amred and would have more authority than other levels of Peace Officers but still less than Police officers.

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_a ... fault.aspx

You can look up Sheriff job opportunities on the Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security website. Try using google to search for towns such as Grand Prairie Enforcement. I think most small Alberta towns have an enforcement branch. Corrections is another branch within the Alberta Gov Solicitor General and Public Security.

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_a ... fault.aspx
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby vandatubes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 am

Hi thanks for the advice.

Another question, Do all levels of Peace Officers have access to Firearms?

As I never used or even fired a Firearm (had a few pointed at me) I have no experience with them.

regards

Tubes :pistols:
vandatubes
Rookie Member

Postby Bald Man » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Alberta Conservation officers and Sheriffs officers carry sidearms, other than that no other Alberta peace officer carries a sidearm. I think some community peace officers may have access to shotguns but not for self defense reasons. One of the board members could clarify this.
Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby CPO12136 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Community Peace Officer's (Level 1) can only use and carry a shotgun in their patrol vehicle for enforcement of the Stray Animals Act, or Animal Protection Act only.
CPO12136

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 pm

vandatubes wrote:Hi

Advice most welcome.

And its raining here.

regards 88)

tubes

Edmonton and Calgary are both recruiting from your side of the pond, a fair number are coming across to join the Police. http://www.joineps.ca and then click on International applicants.
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi
Rob
King Poobah

Postby Harley98 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:01 pm

:offtopic: Does anyone want to discuss if they think RCMP Aux. should be rearmed?
Harley98
Rookie Member

Postby ArcticCop » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 pm

sure. no they should not be. If they are performing duties requiring a firearm they should stop and we should get a full police officer in their place.
"Arctic sounds to me like hes a long time hardened cop. A cop and an outdated one at that"
- Shocktech88
ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Don't the Auxiliaries usually ride "shotgun"...
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Janitor

Postby North of 60 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Nope, and nothing against them but I never took them on the road with me.
North of 60
Sage Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Harley98 wrote::offtopic: Does anyone want to discuss if they think RCMP Aux. should be rearmed?

I think some places that had armed Aux/Cst the program worked well in complimenting the Detachments that they served. As well some of the Aux/Cst had great training and were very proficient in their use. I seen some Detachments where using them a replacement for Regular Members and taking advantage of their position. I believe with the right training and guidelines they could be used to their real potential and not take away positions that a Regular Member should be in.
ASGPS Sheriff
Veteran Member

Postby Harley98 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 am

I don't want to take the place of a RM. I just want to assist them as much as i can ie; by being an extra pair of eyes,take what happened in 100 mile house, now I've been to domestics before and thank God nothing like that happened but if it did, than because of the fact that I am not armed I or the RM I'm with could become a causualty. Now I know what some RM's are going to say than Aux's should not be put in those situations and those would be the members that don't have much use for us and that is unfortunate because in the Det. that I feel that i belong to find us quite usefull in providing security at high school dances, organizing block watch programs, lock it or loose it programs etc. otherwise menial tasks to some RM'S.
Harley98
Rookie Member

Next

Return to The Rant