RCMP Shooting in Spiritwood

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
ellis1919
Rookie Member

RCMP Shooting in Spiritwood

Postby ellis1919 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am

http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=11&category=1&article=5713&Itemid=235
RCMP Shoot Man

Northern Saskatchewan is dealing with another shooting involving the RCMP, a high speed chase, and the community of Spiritwood.

A man in his 50s was shot Wednesday after police received a call to a vehicle being driven erratically near Spiritwood.

When police tried to stop the vehicle the driver fled at a high rate of speed. Finally the vehicle stopped but the driver apparently confronted police with a knife and was shot three times. We have word that the man is in hospital recovering.

RCMP are investigating the circumstances that led to the incident.

Glad to hear all officers involved are ok!
<%>Farva <%>
Farming for the summer
Finishing my CJ diploma in the fall.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP Shooting in Spiritwood

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:04 pm

To clarify, the shooting didn't actually occur in Spiritwood. It occurred in the hamlet of Mayfair, which is near Spiritwood. It was the Spiritwood detachment members who responded to the call.

Man shot by RCMP after chase
Victim recently showed up in hamlet, Mayfair residents say
Darren Bernhardt, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wailing police sirens followed by shouting and three gunshots Wednesday morning cracked the silence that typically surrounds the hamlet of Mayfair in northwest Saskatchewan.

Then more sirens followed and a man unknown to most locals was placed into an ambulance and rushed to Battlefords Union Hospital, about 60 kilometres away from where RCMP officers still stood in the farm field where the shots had put a sudden end to a brief pursuit.

"They're still there now," resident John Vargo said shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Vargo witnessed the chase just before 10 a.m. and followed it.

"I heard sirens and you never hear that here. Then I seen this white Dodge (pick-up truck) go flying down the road. A few minutes later I seen three cop cars, then an extended cab (RCMP) truck. I'm thinking, 'What'd this guy do?' "

Vargo jumped into his vehicle and joined the chase to a field, where the suspect got out of his truck and started walking into the long grass. Vargo said he heard police telling the man to drop a knife he was allegedly carrying.

"I didn't see for sure if he had it in his hands because I wasn't wearing my glasses," Vargo said. "I asked one cop what was going on and he said, 'This guy's crazy. We almost shot him once already.' "

Vargo, who was working as the garbage man in the tiny community of 25 people, decided to get back to work. As he was backing up his truck, he heard three gunshots.

RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Carole Raymond confirmed "at least two" Mounties were involved and unhurt.

The person who was shot was listed in stable condition in hospital on Wednesday.

Raymond said Prince Albert police will investigate the shooting rather than the RCMP, since the Mounties were involved. She would not comment on what led to the incident, which occurred at 9:45 a.m. Nor did she release information on the person shot, such as age or gender.

Several residents interviewed by The StarPhoenix identified the suspect as a man, although many did not know his name or where he came from. Some said he is originally from Saskatoon but was most recently living at Meeting Lake Regional Park, about four kilometres north of Mayfair.

The man, who Vargo said called himself Serge, had set up a camper-trailer on a lot sometime on Monday. The man had told Vargo he wanted to buy the lot and build a cabin.

"I got a bad vibe from him because he was carrying around this foot-long machete-type of knife. Anybody who does that, I don't know. It's not a good thing to me," Vargo said.

"He came over once and asked for some gas, so I gave him some. Then he came back (another day) and asked for more, but I told him I didn't have any. Then he asked for a cold beer," Vargo added. "He was that kind of guy, who just kept asking for stuff. I didn't want him around."

Another resident, Heather, said a lot of people became suspicious because the man kept driving around town. He passed through her yard a few times on a driveway that links two roads.

In a small town, you notice when a stranger is around, said another woman who asked that her name not be published.

"You start speculating, especially when he just shows up one day on a vacant lot and starts living there," she said.

Vargo said the land belonged to a couple in the town who had met the man in Meeting Lake, where they operated a confectionery. No one was answering the telephone at that residence Wednesday.

"I think they feel bad because they invited him to town," said Vargo.

The incident involved the Spiritwood RCMP detachment, which lost two of its members two years ago this month.

Const. Robin Cameron and Const. Marc Bourdages were shot and killed after a vehicle pursuit ended along a country road near Mildred. Curtis Dagenais, 43, is set to go to trail in the fall. He faces two counts of first-degree murder and one charge of the attempted murder of Const. Michelle Knopp.

Mayfair is located approximately 60 km south of Mildred.

dbernhardt@sp.canwest.com

RECENT POLICE SHOOTINGS IN SASKATCHEWAN

- Dec. 22, 2007 -- Dwayne Charles Dustyhorn, 38, shot and killed by Saskatoon police

- Dec. 27, 2007 -- Leanne Carol Severight, 35, shot and injured by Saskatoon police

- March 18, 2008 -- Jacqueline (Jackie) Montgrand, 44, shot and killed by Prince Albert police

- June 14, 2008 -- Chase McKay, 21, shot and killed by RCMP (White Bear First Nation)

- July 5, 2008 -- Christopher Okemawis, 34, shot and injured by RCMP (Southend)

In all cases, as with Wednesday's shooting, the victims reportedly had weapons they refused to drop.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Wow....a truck speeds by you followed by three police cruisers with lights/sirens activated and the most logical response this guy had was "I'm going to follow this high-speed pursuit"...... :crazy:
Good to hear the officers are alright and nobody was hurt aside from numpty.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Vince wrote:Wow....a truck speeds by you followed by three police cruisers with lights/sirens activated and the most logical response this guy had was "I'm going to follow this high-speed pursuit"...... :crazy:

Haha, especially down the roads in that area. I know the area quite well because we used to camp up around there. The roads (if you can call them that) are such a mess with potholes I used to get car sick on the drive. They're absolutely terrible!
Sed libera nos a malo.

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:26 am

You know, they ask you in the hiring process if you would be willing to take a life in the event that duty called.....

Members of the public never really think about how the officer feels after the fact.

We are so riddled with complaints on a daily basis that Christ, sometimes WE dont even know if the force we used was reasonable anymore.

I have personally tossed and turned after using force to deal with combative individuals and that didn't include using my firearm....questioning whether what I did could have been done in a less aggressive manner...

To pull that trigger would immediately set an officer's mind racing. Searching every angle. Wondering what the marshmellows are going to say about what you "should have done."

If you fire your weapon in your career and take a life, no matter how reasonable the situation, just know this...you WILL be a murderer in somebody's eyes for the rest of their life.

I just hope to God I dont ever have to use that option.
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

Chris B
Rookie Member

Postby Chris B » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey Cadetstable, you should think about changing your name.

Sometimes I wish I had to make those kinds of calls. I toss in bed hoping someone will be uncooperative. That's life in Federal policing I guess.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Chris B wrote:Hey Cadetstable, you should think about changing your name....

I've already bugged him about that... :P
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

ArmedSteno
Rookie Member

Postby ArmedSteno » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey CHRIS!! Dont get too worked up about it lol! You would love it in Surrey Im sure. Lots of fun it never ends. However, I dont make the million dollar busts lol my biggest dollar value on a file was a 14 000 dollar fraud.
I miss Depot is that crazy or what!
CAN'T PEOPLE FORM A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU FOR BEING UNPROFESSIONAL?
-BarneyEvans

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRDS THE WORD!!!
-Peter GRIFFIN

Policing is a lot like pissing into a dark black pair of pants. You get that nice warm feeling but almost noone notices.

Chris B
Rookie Member

Postby Chris B » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Not crazy just ... yeah I miss it too.

Yeah, seizing $2 mil kind of makes you rethink your use of force model.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.