Speed limits, passing lanes, impeding traffic

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
metallicat
Rookie Member

Speed limits, passing lanes, impeding traffic

Postby metallicat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Having a discussion on another forum regarding speeding and passing lanes and impeding traffic, mostly on highways.

In Canada, or specifically Alberta, are there laws regarding the left most lane of a highway? Is one legally allowed to drive exactly at the speed limit in that lane (when not passing)? Or, if you are doing that, and traffic is building up behind you, are you in violation of impeding traffic laws?

I tried to do some searches for this, but a lot came up that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

th
Veteran Member

Re: Speed limits, passing lanes, impeding traffic

Postby th » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:01 pm

BC Motor Vehicle Act

(1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except;
(a) when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
(b) when the right hand half of the roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair,
(c) on a highway designated and marked by signs for one way traffic,
(d) if necessary when operating snow removing equipment, or
(e) if
(i) the movement of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, is permitted by and is done in conformity with the terms of the oversize permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, and
(ii) the width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, or the width of a load on the vehicle makes the operation of the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the right hand half of the roadway unsafe.

(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

$109 and 3 points. Of course, you have to figure out what the "normal speed of traffic" is.
:wave:

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Normal speed of traffic...can that ever be more than the speed limit? It should only be less, or right at the limit, no?

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 pm

delete
Last edited by Snowman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer Me !

Mailman
Rookie Member

Postby Mailman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:17 pm

Snowman wrote:Local News - Gord Thompson may be the only man in Ontario ever charged under the Highway Traffic Act for obeying the letter of the law. The teacher from Campbellford and another motorist caused a four-kilometre traffic jam on Highway 401 seven years ago by driving side by side at the posted 100 km/h speed limit. They were charged with obstructing traffic and had their licences temporarily suspended.

damned if you do, damned if you don't!

It's kind of funny really, if you are doing the speed limit then no one should be passing so what does it matter what lane you are in.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:08 am

So where are you supposed to drive on a four lane highway if the speed limit's 110 and you're doing 120? I drove on my first four lane highway recently, but I didn't know which lane was the correct lane for me.
Sed libera nos a malo.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 am

Ignore the attention whore.
:wave:

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 am

th wrote:Ignore the attention whore.

I'm not an attention whore. I drove on Deerfoot Trail for the first time, and people were passing me like crazy regardless of what lane I was in.
Sed libera nos a malo.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:02 am

Hmmm.
Last edited by SierraSeven on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am

Mailman wrote:
Snowman wrote:Local News - Gord Thompson may be the only man in Ontario ever charged under the Highway Traffic Act for obeying the letter of the law. The teacher from Campbellford and another motorist caused a four-kilometre traffic jam on Highway 401 seven years ago by driving side by side at the posted 100 km/h speed limit. They were charged with obstructing traffic and had their licences temporarily suspended.

It's kind of funny really, if you are doing the speed limit then no one should be passing so what does it matter what lane you are in.

:stupid: Sounds like this guy did a really good job of making his point. I wonder what the judge said of his obstructing traffic charge.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

echo1
Grand Poobah

Postby echo1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:54 am

Mark S wrote:
Mailman wrote:

:stupid: Sounds like this guy did a really good job of making his point. I wonder what the judge said of his obstructing traffic charge.

I wonder if by some stroke of luck he got the same judge.

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:30 am

SD_SC1 wrote:
th wrote:Ignore the attention whore.

I'm not an attention whore. I drove on Deerfoot Trail for the first time, and people were passing me like crazy regardless of what lane I was in.

Perhaps your reputation preceded you and they were all just trying to get the hell away from you.

Reflections
Rookie Member

Postby Reflections » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am

http://www.drivers.com/article/149/

The whole story, for what it is worth.
"Every generation needs a new revolution", Thomas Jefferson

Lexis85
Rookie Member

Postby Lexis85 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 am

In my Young Driver's course, we were always taught to go with the flow of traffic, as long as we were not the last vehicles in that bunch. If we did not have someone behind us, then we had to go the speed limit. Not exactly legal, but it's safe anyways. I hate driving on the highway and some retard is hogging the left lane going 90, when typically, driving towards Vancouver, everyone's going between 120-140. My little shitbox can't go that fast so I'm somewhere between 105 and 110. Those little signs that were put up obviously don't work, and previously working at WalMart I have learned that nobody reads signs anyways.
Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is done!

Flagstaff

Postby Flagstaff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 am

Use of Highways and Rules of the Road Regulation

Driving at appropriate speed

2(1) A person shall not do any of the following:

(a) notwithstanding that a speed limit is prescribed by or pursuant to the Act or any other Act in respect of a highway, drive a vehicle on that highway at any rate of speed that is unreasonable having regard to all the circumstances, including without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the following:

(i) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(ii) the atmospheric, weather or other conditions that might affect the visibility of the driver or the control of the vehicle;

(iii) the amount of traffic that is or that might reasonably be expected to be on the highway;

(iv) the mechanical condition of the vehicle or any equipment on the vehicle;

(b) subject to this Part and Part 2, where a highway that is located outside an urban area has 2 or more traffic lanes on the same side of the centre line for use by vehicles travelling in the same direction, drive a vehicle in the traffic lane nearest the centre line unless the vehicle is being driven at or near the maximum speed permitted;

(c) drive a vehicle at such a slow rate of speed so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic then existing on a highway except when it is necessary to do so for the safe operation of the vehicle or to comply with Parts 1 and 2.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1)(b), a person driving a vehicle on a highway at a speed that is below the maximum speed limit that is established or prescribed for that highway may drive the vehicle in the traffic lane nearest to the centre line for the purpose of overtaking and passing another vehicle.