this is what it's all about

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
meathead1
Poobah Overlord

this is what it's all about

Postby meathead1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Thursday at noon our shift gets a call about an unconscious unresponsive male at a construction site. My partner and I tear down there and arrive to find regional paramedics pumping on this guys chest. By all accounts he had suffered a heart attack and dropped, smashing his face in the process. Paramedics said he had no vital signs at all. I asked what they needed us to do and was told to take over compressions.

My partner and I gave this guy CPR for 25 minutes. He was shocked 3 times, the last time knocking his heart back into a bit of a rhythm. As luck would have it, a doctor was running by and saw what was happening. She came in and was able to get a tube down this guys throat. She tried to find a vein but couldn't get one, so she dumped Atropine down his throat.

As i was pumping on his chest, i could see his face and ears were turning blue. His eyes were starting to roll back and they were cloudy. I could feel his ribs crunch and could hear this nasty awful gurgling sound every time i pumped his chest. After 25 minutes, they scoop him and run.

I check in with the hospital a few hours later and they tell me he's not doing so hot and it looks like he is going to bite it. My girlfriend, who is a nurse in ICU, tells me later he is up there and is in a medically induced coma and not breathing on his own. It looks like he's not going to pull through.

Today she calls me and says she is sitting there watching him talk to his wife. They pulled him out of the coma and removed the tube and was apparantly doing ok. He's going to be moved into another ward on the hospital and should be going home in a few days if he stays ok. The doctors said that the first aid that was given on scene is what made the difference.

I think this is what the job is all about-helping people out that can't help themselves. It's feels good to know that I honestly helped someone.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

BruteForce
Rookie Member

Re: this is what it's all about

Postby BruteForce » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Thats amazing ! I am sure he is thankful.

Anspray
Rookie Member

Postby Anspray » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:16 pm

Excellent news, and good job pitch'in on the emergency first aid. :thumbsup:

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:55 am

Good work brother, you should be damned proud of yourself.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:11 am

Excellent work!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:14 am

Good job dude!

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:46 am

Amazing...that is what it's all about!

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:12 pm

So as it turns out, this guy was a time bomb waiting to go off. His arteries leading to his heart were nearly totally clogged. They have to perform an operation on him because there was so much plaque buildup on the inside of the arteries that it couldn't be cleared out using the normal procedure. Guess it's a good thing it happened when and where it happened and not someplace busier or farther away from emergency help.

Coke6pk

Postby Coke6pk » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:04 am

All of Blueline is proud of you Meathead! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Coke

Aegis
Rookie Member

Postby Aegis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:49 am

meathead1 wrote:So as it turns out, this guy was a time bomb waiting to go off. His arteries leading to his heart were nearly totally clogged. They have to perform an operation on him because there was so much plaque buildup on the inside of the arteries that it couldn't be cleared out using the normal procedure. Guess it's a good thing it happened when and where it happened and not someplace busier or farther away from emergency help.

Somebody's got a scrip for Lipitor in the mail. Was this a big fat dude?

Nice work, BTW. There's never enough people setting an example.
For more information on the woodchuck, contact the Canadian Wildlife Service in Ottawa.

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 pm

A truly unique situatuion. This kind of thing almost NEVER happens. Good job!
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 pm

It would be nice to see your supervisor recommend you for an award. You've definitely earned it.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:27 pm

no he wasn't a fat guy at all. He was by no means the epitome of fitness but he didn't seem fat.

as for an award, our patrol sgt said he's going to nominate us for a commendation. It's nice to be recognized for doing something good, (even though all we did was our job) and not get crapped on, which is the norm in my agency.

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:08 pm

meathead1 wrote: It's nice to be recognized for doing something good, (even though all we did was our job) and not get crapped on, which is the norm in my agency.

lol, say it isn't so :twitch:

AuxHorseman
Rookie Member

Postby AuxHorseman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Good work :thumbsup: Glad the guy's okay, people don't usually make such great recoveries from SCA.