Speaking of Youtube and Police Videos - what do you think?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
PC Hopeful
Rookie Member

Speaking of Youtube and Police Videos - what do you think?

Postby PC Hopeful » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:10 am

I clicked on a link regarding why not to use auxillaries as paid officers and found this video in the "similar" section.

The videographer seems polite enough and cooperative in the beginning. Though his attitude changes as the police seem to give him attitude. Now I don't agree with the attitude of the video recorder at the end of the footage but I can't help but feel that these police officers are not "serving the public". They seem to be the ones with the attitude and it appears evident as the belittle the videographer.

In today's society video camera's in public hands are increasing. From peronsal experience I know that there is no law that prohibits video taping of anyone on public streets, otherwise there would be no news media.

What is your take on the conduct of the officers? Abuse of authority? Conduct unbecoming? Did the officer assault the videographer when he attempted to grab the camera? Or did you see nothing wrong?

My view is that in today's society with the prevlance of cameras one should always assume they are being video taped and act accordingly, especially those in the public service. I know if I get on I will learn from these videos and always assume someone is recording me.

No this isn't my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r48kPRr ... ed&search=

Z#
Rookie Member

Re: Speaking of Youtube and Police Videos - what do you think?

Postby Z# » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 am

I can't watch You Tube videos at work, so I can't fairly comment. If it is what I assume it is though, the videographer probably should have laid off.
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 am

First off, how about substituting "Videographer" with "a**hole". He has clearly had many dealings with police and knows how to push their buttons by being an ass. If you talk to the police like a wiseass, you'll likely be spoken to as though you are one. If he really was a decent guy the officers would likely have spoken to him differently. If you get on someday you'll watch this video and have a whole different take on it. Also, explain how the officers are not serving the public by investigating someone whos out on the street in the middle of the night wearing dark clothing holding a videocamera.

He wasn't some average joe out for a walk with who just happened to have his videocamera with him. He was a bandit who hates police, trying to piss them off enough to do or say something unprofessional so he could either sue them or run to their station to complain. You can say what you like about how you'll assume someones always recording you, but you have no idea what its like to have a bandit stick a camera in your face and do his best to rile you up. I'd say the officers handled the situation professionally.

Also, the officer did not assault the idiot when he took the camera, he can check it for officer safety reasons, and don't ask me to elaborate on that.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

PC Hopeful
Rookie Member

Postby PC Hopeful » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:59 am

I can understand you calling him a bandit. I called him a videographer only because thats what he is doing. I am not trying to judge him as then I think that skews the objectivity of the video.

When I say "not serving the public" it seems that their intent was not to protect the public from a man with a videocamera who has come out to video tape police doing donoughts in a parking lot (which the police don't deny doing) but to intimidate him. I feel that the officers were concerned about what the video person had recorded them doing and for personal reasons rather then the publics safety. I say this based on their actions and their words.

Now this is just my opinion based on what is on the tape. When I first watched it I did not know the attitude the man gave until mid/end of the video. In the beginning he seemed complient and neutrally socialable. The officers words and actions seem to be confrontational. At the end of the video I can see/hear what he says, basically a coward shouting from a distance.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:13 am

What a douche. I don't see anything wrong with the officers investigating him or in the way they spoke to him.

bigshotceo
Rookie Member

Postby bigshotceo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:16 am

Well, I'm not a cop (or aspiring cop) and am probably closer to the "damed liberal hippie" stereotype than a lot of the people here, and I don't really think the PC did anything wrong. I think that someone going around and filming cops in the middle of the night is at least a bit suspicious, and warranted the PC speaking with him (and that's all the PC did, he didn't arrest him, or strike him, etc...).

You're right that in an ideal society no PC would ever mind being being filmed. This is the real world, however, and when people constantly are watching you it can make you a little jumpy. The PC may have been kinda angry, but really, who wouldn't be? As I noted, I didn't really see any evidence of abusing his authority; he didn't seize the camera, hit the guy, etc..

The problem with a lot of these tapes that come out is that they don't show the entire situation, and oftentimes if you only show one part of a police encounter it can look downright bad.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:30 am

Would anyone enjoy being filmed by someone w/o their permission? I think that most people would answer "no". Why is it that "joe public" feels that its their "duty" or "right" to film police or law enforcement officers? I think that many people need to put themselves in those officers' shoes.

Say, for argument's sake, the officers were doing doughnuts in the parking lot/street. I can understand why they wouldn't want to be filmed. However, would this "concerned citizen" been as interested if it was some kids doing the same in mom's and dad's car? Probably not. IMHO, this guy was just looking to be a shit disturber. From watching this short clip, I tend to believe that he's the same type of person who probably causes some problems in the neighbourhood and has a grudge against cops.

People should try to video tape other professions at work and see how those people feel.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:33 am

With the amount of idiots who record themselves committing crimes and then post them on YouTube, wouldn't you get a little suspicious of someone out in the middle of the night recording what's going on?

Why would this person be out at that hour? It's not like this guy was awoken by lights and sirens and came out to see what was going on. For all we know, this guy could have been out filming houses or cars to break into at a later date, and someone coming home late saw him out there and thought it was suspicious and called the police.

This guy was acting like a shitrat, so he got treated like a shitrat. Nine times out of ten, if you co-operate with the police, they'll be pretty nice to you, even if you are guilty of something.
Sed libera nos a malo.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 am

devilwoman wrote:Say, for argument's sake, the officers were doing doughnuts in the parking lot/street.

Just practicing defensive driving in a safe location :thumbsup:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

BUDDHA7620
Seasoned Member

Postby BUDDHA7620 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Not full story is all I can say about the Video, and buddy has been around for sure,knew the game , have to love those backyard lawyer types :twisted: slip and fall is all I can say.
Do You Feel Lucky Today ......

Gamble
Rookie Member

Postby Gamble » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:34 pm

-
Last edited by Gamble on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:49 pm

I think that guy was looking to get the police all geared up on video and then post it on youtube.

The winner is prohib. firearms as well. Clearly an upstanding member of the community. :roll:
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 pm

This guy's other video is funnier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ojRQjcHzo&NR=1

It's obvious he's just trying to provoke the police by filming them, and these ones bite. When the guy refuses to hand over the camera, the officer threatens to arrest his friend for drinking in public but seems to change his mind as to whether he actually saw him on the road with a beer.

I think the guy is within his rights but sort of a loser.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:20 pm

If everyone bands together and reports this guys videos, maybe they will be removed.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Not sure how many of you are familiar with this, they have Canadian chapters as well. One representative of this group had a newspaper article printed in one of the local papers encouraging people to "join the cause" so to speak. It is typical tree hugging left wing propaganda........but propaganda nonetheless.

http://www.copwatch.com

You have to register to get on the forums (you know, like a Blueline forum for a#$holes) There are sections where you can discuss agencies as well as individual officers.

Nice!
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.