Humane Society Inspector Suspended Over Handcuff Incident

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
TheNewfie
Rookie Member

Postby TheNewfie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:19 pm

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_13622.aspx

Thursday August 9, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

He rushed in to save a dying dog - and it's cost him some of his power. You'll remember the horrifying story that took place two weeks ago - when Toronto Humane Society inspector Tre Smith was alerted to a Rottweiler named Cyrus trapped in a sealed and roasting car during a blistering heat wave, with internal temperatures approaching 70C.

With the creature near death, Smith broke in the window, sending the owner out to answer his car alarm. With a choice between letting the dog die and hanging on to a man accused of animal cruelty, Smith made a difficult decision. He handcuffed the man to his car and left him there to tend to Cyrus.

By the time police arrived, the captive man was bleeding, having been allegedly attacked by angry bystanders who witnessed the incident. "The police hadn't got here just yet but they were almost here, and I had to leave because the dog was non-responsive, had stopped breathing and I had to stimulate the dog just to bring him back," he recalled then. "So I had to leave for the life of the dog."

But that decision has now cost Smith dearly. The Ontario SPCA suspended the investigator's license on Thursday. Smith is the kind of man who puts his heart and soul into his work and he isn't taking the decision lightly. To see his reaction, catch CityNews Tonight at 11.

The good news in all this is that Cyrus is making a remarkable recovery. To find out more about his progress, click here.

Anyone have a take on this...? Hopefully the guy won't lose his job, but I don't think handcuffing the guy to the vehicle was a very good idea...

echo1
Grand Poobah

Re: Humane Society Inspector Suspended Over Handcuff Incident

Postby echo1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Sucks for the inspector and I hope he doesn't loose his job, but cuffing a guy to his car? (and then allowing an angry crowd to assault him?) Yikes - not the smartest move.

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:00 pm

:aye: Let the guy go if the dog was in that bad of shape. Take the plate and get the police to track him down later either through the plate or the dogs ID (if it had any).
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Why does he have handcuffs anyways?
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 pm

You make an arrest then you are responsible for numpty, like it or not. As sad as this case is, numpty’s safety and well being trumps the animal’s. It is to bad that the Inspector made the choice he did. Numpty will most likely end up with a slap on the wrist and the Inspector my loose his job, or at the very least be in for a lot of grief. I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see a law suit here.

Anyone that is employed where they may reasonably need to arrest, and I am talking of periphery enforcement and some security guards, need to have proper training regarding arrests and care while in custody of those they arrest.

……maybe put the handcuffed numpyt in a room with Cyrus for a few minutes! :twisted:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm

I happened to be at Nicholl's a few weeks ago and a THS Investigator came in. May have actually been this guy (looked a lot like the guy from the news clip and website, 90% sure was him, right down to hooks on his epaulets). I'll be honest everything about him was that of a "wannabe" security type, you know the type that push all the boundries. I think he was picking up badges and said his guys were bugging him over and over about them as if for the "cool factor". Didn't get a real good impression from this guy or the outfit for that matter, despite the crappy job they have to do and stuff they must see every day.

On top of this when I left I noticed the marked THS minivan a blue dashlaser in it. I looked all over but couldn't see the harness for the snowplow.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:

……maybe put the handcuffed numpyt in a room with Cyrus for a few minutes! :twisted:

That wouldn't do any good. Rottweilers have a tremendous amount of loyalty to their owners, even if they are dinks. :evil:
Sed libera nos a malo.

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:11 pm

Z# wrote::aye: Let the guy go if the dog was in that bad of shape. Take the plate and get the police to track him down later either through the plate or the dogs ID (if it had any).

:aye: Although coming from someone who does the same job as him, it's easy to get frustrated with our "clients" (who doesn't) but he made a big big mistake.

the1captain wrote:Why does he have handcuffs anyways?

In Ontario, under the OSPCA Act, Inspectors and Agents of the OSPCA (including affiliated local humane societies) have the powers of a police officer for the enforcement of the OSPCA Act the Criminal Code of Canada (Animal Cruelty Provisions), and any other Act or law in Ontario pertaining to the welfare of animals.

Paul R wrote:...a THS Investigator came in...I'll be honest everything about him was that of a "wannabe" security type, you know the type that push all the boundries. I think he was picking up badges and said his guys were bugging him over and over about them as if for the "cool factor".

Could have something to do that from what I read "As a matter of policy (i.e. not required under legislative authority) inspectors/agents carry photo ID, and will present it upon request. A business card is not identification." Looks like no badge provided by THS, OSPCA, or the Province. Whereas for our province, our ID (or warrant cards as you ontarians call them) and badge are provided by the province, and we are required under the act to produce them upon performing enforcement action".
Last edited by SPC on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:

That wouldn't do any good. Rottweilers have a tremendous amount of loyalty to their owners, even if they are dinks. :evil:

Not just rottweilers, all dogs!! And the sad thing is that in a lot of cases, the people who cause the animals harm, have a tremendous amount of loyalty and "love" for their animals in their own minds.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:14 am

SPC wrote:
Z# wrote::aye: Let the guy go if the dog was in that bad of shape. Take the plate and get the police to track him down later either through the plate or the dogs ID (if it had any).

:aye: Although coming from someone who does the same job as him, it's easy to get frustrated with our "clients" (who doesn't) but he made a big big mistake.

the1captain wrote:Why does he have handcuffs anyways?

In Ontario, under the OSPCA Act, Inspectors and Agents of the OSPCA (including affiliated local humane societies) have the powers of a police officer for the enforcement of the OSPCA Act the Criminal Code of Canada (Animal Cruelty Provisions), and any other Act or law in Ontario pertaining to the welfare of animals.

Paul R wrote:...a THS Investigator came in...I'll be honest everything about him was that of a "wannabe" security type, you know the type that push all the boundries. I think he was picking up badges and said his guys were bugging him over and over about them as if for the "cool factor".

Could have something to do that from what I read "As a matter of policy (i.e. not required under legislative authority) inspectors/agents carry photo ID, and will present it upon request. A business card is not identification." Looks like no badge provided by THS, OSPCA, or the Province. Whereas for our province, our ID (or warrant cards as you ontarians call them) and badge are provided by the province, and we are required under the act to produce them upon performing enforcement action".

The term warrant card comes from the UK.

A warrant card is a proof of identification and authority carried by police officers. The term is normally used only in the United Kingdom and in current and former Commonwealth countries. Many other countries refer to their equivalent of warrant cards simply as police credentials, commission books, or identification cards.

Warrant cards generally includes a photograph of the holder, as well as the holder's name, rank, and warrant number. The warrant number is equivalent to a badge number in other police services, and is often the same as the collar number for uniformed officers. A warrant card is usually displayed alongside a badge showing the service to which the officer belongs.

The language on a warrant card usually indicates that the holder is granted authority by a specific official to perform the functions of the office held, and may also indicate training to a particular level. Police personnel authorized to carry firearms, either at any time or just while on duty, may have an endorsement on their warrant card to that effect.

Police officers in plain-clothes are required to identify themselves and produce their warrant card when they are performing their police duties and exercising their police powers. Normally, police officers in uniform are not required to produce their warrant card. However, they should do so upon the request of a member of the public unless the circumstances do not allow or the request is unreasonable.

Most warrant cards are now digital cards and may feature a barcode.

[edit] Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Police Force Warrant Card has on the front: "Hong Kong Police" (in Chinese and English); a force crest in colour; the name, rank and UI of the warrant card holder; and a photograph. The card is covered with laser wording of "Hong Kong Police" in English and Chinese. On the back, the cards bears the statement: "The person whose photograph and particulars appear on the reverse is a duly appointed member of the Hong Kong Police".

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:30 am

Thx Baldman. I've heard the term in UK and Ontario, but do you know if it used throughout Canada? I've just never heard it anywhere else in Canada.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 am

Warrant card is for police only. For the rest of us it is a designation card.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:40 am

We have..er, I mean, had "PC-4" cards to go along with our "shields". No one ever quite explained the PC part (Parks Canada?) or the "-04" part. Not that it matters right now anyway.