Tow Question PLEASE HELP: Car Abandoned by owner on property

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
tannerthehammer
Rookie Member

Tow Question PLEASE HELP: Car Abandoned by owner on property

Postby tannerthehammer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 am

So my sister was seeing this guy and he left a car with no plates which also now has 4 flat tires on it, in her driveway...She has been asking him repeatedly for a year to come get the car and when she calls and mentions it he just hangs up the phone....

We don't have keys for the car or anything and like I said it has no plates on it...We have no way of getting into the vehicle...Also my sister is not the owner of the house as she is just renting it...

My question is what should we do about this?

Thanks
"I'm a politician, when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollypops"

"I've always thought the mind is the best weapon" -Rambo

"A man who lives a life of justice should lead a private life, not a public life." -Plato

Tengard137
Rookie Member

Re: Tow Question PLEASE HELP: Car Abandoned by owner on property

Postby Tengard137 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:38 am

I would put a for sale sign on it with the guys name and phone number ... :)
Might get a reaction, sound like he has no interest in it at this point.

It might get him to move it if he stands to make some cash out of the deal?

Good Luck with it,
Tengard137
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
Martin Luther King Jr.

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:03 am

Move it out on the street somehow, and let the guy know. If he doesn't come pick it up in a week, call in an abandoned vehicle on the street. Let it sit in impound instead.

(Don't take this as legit advice... I don't know if you'd be held responsible for anything. I just thought it'd be a good laugh. The guy sounds like he deserves it.)
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:26 am

I say it is an abandoned vehicle on your private property....get it towed off of it (the landlord should be able to authorize that).......unfortunately you might have to pay for the tow if he doesnt.

If you move it to the street then I say it can be towed as an abandoned vehicle and the police could do that.......or whoever handles the traffic in your city like a parking authority by-law person.

And I say dont call the guy.......who cares if it is in an impound, he obviously doesnt want it back.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:55 pm

I don't think she would be responsible for the cost of the tow. It would be the owners responsibility to repay the tow company. It's her property, she can remove the unwanted vehicle. Worst case.. the company would impound it, until buddy comes to pick it up and pays for the tow cost and storage fees.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:11 pm

I agree with Stinger, but ask the tow company for applicable legislation in your area. I believe you have have it towed, they'll store it, and if buddy doesn't come get it in a certain amount of time, they can sell it to recoup their cost.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Coke6pk

Postby Coke6pk » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Depends on where you live. Some areas (ie Kitchener), the by-law will not tow from private property. Police can, and the property owner will have to pay for the tow. When I worked there I knew of property owners who paid a tow-truck driver friend $20 to drag it onto the street, then called us to take it from the road. Another landlord used tow chains w/ his pickup and dragged it out onto the road. Stupid system!

Coke

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Personally, I like the drag it out on to the street idea, we do that all the... err... I mean... yeah... :mrgreen:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

tannerthehammer
Rookie Member

Postby tannerthehammer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:58 am

UPDATE:

Ok so I called the police and spoke to a Cst. about it...

She said call the person again and inform them you are towing their car if they don't come and pick it up within 12 hrs (reasonable notice?)...Then my sister will have to get the landlord of her house to call the tow company to come and get it...She said the owner of the vehicle should be responsible for the cost of the tow/storage when he goes to pick it up...

We have no way of dragging it out on the street really so that would be a no go...

"A man who lives a life of justice should lead a private life, not a public life." -Plato

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:03 am

tannerthehammer wrote:UPDATE:

Ok so I called the police and spoke to a Cst. about it...

She said call the person again and inform them you are towing their car if they don't come and pick it up within 12 hrs (reasonable notice?)...Then my sister will have to get the landlord of her house to call the tow company to come and get it...She said the owner of the vehicle should be responsible for the cost of the tow/storage when he goes to pick it up...

We have no way of dragging it out on the street really so that would be a no go...

Put it up on jacks and slide some heavy duty dolleys under the wheels...

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:09 am

Call up a bunch of friends and have a "push the wanker ex-boyfriend's POS car onto the street" party. Have some beers, push a car, it'll be a helluva time. Even if it doesn't roll, if you have enough people, you can get almost anything to move.
"If you're going to tell someone the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
-Oscar Wilde

Tengard137
Rookie Member

Postby Tengard137 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:41 pm

Z# wrote:Call up a bunch of friends and have a "push the wanker ex-boyfriend's POS car onto the street" party. Have some beers, push a car, it'll be a helluva time. .

:alright: nice.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
Martin Luther King Jr.

tannerthehammer
Rookie Member

Postby tannerthehammer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Z# wrote:Call up a bunch of friends and have a "push the wanker ex-boyfriend's POS car onto the street" party. Have some beers, push a car, it'll be a helluva time. Even if it doesn't roll, if you have enough people, you can get almost anything to move.

This sounds like an idea...We would probably only have to move it like 20 metres too but how can you move the car if the brakes are on??

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:52 pm

Hmmm... I suppose you'd have to get creative. My fellow 'peg dweller winterpegger suggested:

You could also:

-Find 3 or 4 rolling jacks, jack the vehicle up and roll it out on said jacks.
-Find a friend with a truck and pull it out.
-If it's a smaller vehicle, buy more beer, get more friends and lift it up. This is hard, but can be done. It's also the more dangerous of the options.

If all else fails, you may have to go the tow-off-property route like others suggested.
-Oscar Wilde

Z#
Rookie Member

Postby Z# » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Now that I think about it, this idea:
could work. Everyone has a jack in their trunk, and even if you don't have dollies, Canadian Tire and Sprawl Mart have great return policies! :twisted:
-Oscar Wilde