-

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Gamble
Rookie Member

-

Postby Gamble » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:48 am

-
Last edited by Gamble on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudgun44
Rookie Member

Re: T.O. Big Service Cuts Coming - Police officers included

Postby spudgun44 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:42 am

That's the best piece of fear mongering I've seen since the whole Y2K thing.
Maybe they'll do a bit on killer bees tomorrow.
The International War On Terror. It's catchy. Got a good beat. And you can detain people to it.

CPP
Rookie Member

Postby CPP » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 am

I love how it always translates into a loss in garbage pick up or some service that will effect senoirs. Why not a reduction in Council and other staff at City Hall....
"You can see a lot by Observing." Yogi Berra

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:59 am

There won't be any significant cuts to policing. Not in the wake of all the gun and gang violence in Toronto.

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:45 am

They can't just start laying off police members. They pull this in Ottawa every year at budget time. City is going lay off Police officers and cut all kinds of services across the city. I really get sick and tired of hearing every single year. At the worst they will cut back on hiring police officers, not lay any off.

bigshotceo
Rookie Member

Postby bigshotceo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:56 am

I'm going to throw this out there: how about implementing a system like in the US and the UK, where regular police are supplemented by reserve officers/special constables (in the British sense), who have the same core police training as regular members but who are volunteers?

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 am

An excellent editorial letter suddenly came to mind:

"A total of 52 murders occurred in Toronto this year and it's only July! The victims included innocent women and children. Before the year is over, the number will undoubtedly pass 66 -- the same number as Canadian soldiers who have died in Afghanistan. It is time for Canadians to come to grips with the fact Toronto is a dangerous quagmire. It's a lost cause, and must be abandoned immediately. There is no chance for the city to be victorious in this battle. I am sure Taliban Jack Layton would agree with my call: "Withdraw from Toronto now before further Canadians are killed in a war that obviously cannot be won."
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am

Funny how this announcement is made a mere couple of months before the Provencial election. One things for sure in cities. Even in the most dire economic circumstances, police are the last to even be considered cut. First murder after any cuts will be blamed on the city council. They are just painting the worst case senario so when they cut what they really plan to, it won't seem so bad to the public.

It's not the city's fault because the province doesn't give them enough money....It's not the provinces fault because the feds don't give them enough money....it's not the feds fault because they're going to open an inquiry, spend $100 million on it to figure out where all the money goes.

And the circle keeps spinning.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 am

No need to worry, they will never lay off cops.....might just not hire as many for the next class! Plus they have to take into account retirements.....so don't see any worries at all
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:33 am

OPPAux wrote:
bigshotceo wrote:I'm going to throw this out there: how about implementing a system like in the US and the UK, where regular police are supplemented by reserve officers/special constables (in the British sense), who have the same core police training as regular members but who are volunteers?

I'd go for that, but I'm sure the unions...er....associations would be up in arms.

Actually I'd rather see a "part time police" system similar to many US states, where a Reserve Officer system is used. Fully trained, fully armed reserve officers who work part time to supplement the regular officers, full members of the association, full police officer status, just don't work the full shift schedules, and can be called in when staffing levels are low or when there is a need for extra officers.

:cuss: :rage: :twisted: :hoppingmad: :madexplode:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:42 am

Unless these part timers worked all nights and weekends and full timers got to work Mon-Fri 8-4 :thumbsup:
I'd go for that!

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:49 am

It is one of the most expensive items on tax bills......but what other service to the public runs 24hrs a day other than emergency services? Traffic and crime don't stop at 5pm.

Hire more officers to get more police, thus OT will be cut down and a few more salaries is cheaper than OT spent.

How many people complain about the $30 connection fee tacked onto their water bills, or "delivery to you" charges tacked onto their hyrdro, gas bills every month.....or $4.00 added per month for touchtone service or $1.50 charge per month so 911 can be touch dialed.....all money grabs

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:26 pm

I work for the city and there is no way in hell they are going to reduce labour or hire less officers. Its just a scare tactic that their useing to scare the people into raising hell with the province into getting more funding for services they abandonded in 1998. Remember theres a provincial election this fall.

mystrwolf
Rookie Member

Postby mystrwolf » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:31 pm

I call B.S. Try being on-call for shifts. The casual part-time/ backfill/vacation coverage/
maybe full time in 6 years/system DOES NOT WORK in Corrections.

Let's not backslide to part-time police, you might as well just use Police for
murders and indictable offences and use "security guards" for $12/hr to do the paper work
and everything else!
:banghead: