Calgary police officer's car hit during traffic stop

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
metallicat
Rookie Member

Calgary police officer's car hit during traffic stop

Postby metallicat » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:52 am

Link

The first I heard about the officers condition was not good, but according to this news story, his status has been upgraded to serious. Thoughts go out to him.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:58 am

Caught this on the late news last night, it was quite a mess. Looks like they were forunate not to be in much worse condition.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:10 am

Thank god someone on the Deerfoot pays attention.

Samaritan protects cop
UPDATED: 2007-04-27 18:34:27 MST

By SARAH KENNEDY, SUN MEDIA

While driving along Deerfoot Trail, Sandy Daniluk said he was shocked today to discover the body of a police officer lying in the middle lanes.

Daniluk, 57, said he quickly parked his van at an angle on the Deerfoot that would protect Const. Adrian Chong from being struck by any other vehicles, before he rushed to his rescue.

“No one had got to him first so I ran over to him and checked his pulse,” he said.

“I didn’t see him move and he wasn’t talking.

“I just wanted to make sure he was okay.

“My focus was totally on the officer.”

Daniluk said he knew the officer, who was struck while conducting a traffic stop in the northbound lanes near Douglasdale Blvd., was still alive because he was breathing.

He stayed by his side until a nurse, who had been driving on the opposite side of Deerfoot Trail, ran over and took charge.

“She told me she was a nurse and I immediately backed off,” said Daniluk.

Daniluk said the crash happened about 12:40 p.m. after a semi-trailer struck a car that slammed into Chong’s unmarked SUV and sent the officer sprawling onto the highway.

Chong was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries but his condition has been upgraded to serious.

Yesterday, Insp. Guy Slater commended the witnesses for their quick action.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:18 am

About 3 years one of our officers was driving through an intersection on the green when an impaired driver blew the red t-boing the cruiser. The officers car was hit with such force the officer's aorta detached from his heart causing massive interenal bleeding. Other officers arrived on scence and the driver was arrested as he tried to blend in the with the crowd. The officer required heart surgery to repair is damaged heart and internals. He was very fortunate to survive.

Today the officer can be seen on the Canadian Blood services commercial talking about the importance of giving blood.

I'm not certrain if the officer is back on modified duties yet, however he will never return to full work capacity again.

In high speed collisions, it's very common for the aorta to tear away from the heart. I hope this isn't the case with the Calgary officer.

mostlyharmless

Postby mostlyharmless » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:35 am

The vehicle that Const. Chong pulled over had stopped in the left lane of a 3 lane highway. Who does that?

The Deerfoot has quite a history of accidents and fatalities. The average lane speed is typically 30 over the 110 limit. These people are usually passed by other drivers in that left lane.

One of the first multinova tickets issued in Calgary was a driver of an MG. I believe he was in the 150km range, top down, hands behind his head, driving with his knees.
"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Eeyore
Rookie Member

Postby Eeyore » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:08 am

mostlyharmless wrote:The vehicle that Const. Chong pulled over had stopped in the left lane of a 3 lane highway. Who does that?

The Deerfoot has quite a history of accidents and fatalities. The average lane speed is typically 30 over the 110 limit. These people are usually passed by other drivers in that left lane.

One of the first multinova tickets issued in Calgary was a driver of an MG. I believe he was in the 150km range, top down, hands behind his head, driving with his knees.

Sheesh, talk about wreckless driving. Driving with their knees too? I can't believe people can be complete fools and idiots when it comes to the road.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Eeyore wrote:
mostlyharmless wrote:The vehicle that Const. Chong pulled over had stopped in the left lane of a 3 lane highway. Who does that?

Sheesh, talk about wreckless driving. Driving with their knees too? I can't believe people can be complete fools and idiots when it comes to the road.

SD_SC1
My mom taught me everything except parallel parking. She even taught me how to drive with my knees.

And now I'm passing on my knowledge to my friend and teaching her how to drive.

Enough Said!

mostlyharmless

Postby mostlyharmless » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:33 pm

IMthePheonix wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

SD_SC1
My mom taught me everything except parallel parking. She even taught me how to drive with my knees.

Enough Said!

Well this is actually helpful, because it means the "knees drivers" are in SK.
:D
"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:51 pm

ATM Crime Fighter wrote:
IMthePheonix wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

SD_SC1

Enough Said!

Wow, talk about "right from the horses mouth"! Great catch IMthePheonix!

Well, she is supposed to move to Lethbridge in September so I am keeping track of posts so the Crown can show a history if needed.... :twisted:

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:28 pm

IMthePheonix wrote:Well, she is supposed to move to Lethbridge in September so I am keeping track of posts so the Crown can show a history if needed.... :twisted:
From what I've heard, she won't be driving any time soon. :thumbsup:
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:22 pm

In 1993, Cnst. Richard Sonnenberg was struck (this time killed) on the Deerfoot as he laid down a spike belt. This led to the CPS acquiring their first Helicopter.

Deerfoot Trail certainly hasn't been kind to the CPS.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Well, I'm glad he survived. What a scary situation.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 am

Bald Man wrote:About 3 years one of our officers was driving through an intersection on the green when an impaired driver blew the red t-boing the cruiser. The officers car was hit with such force the officer's aorta detached from his heart causing massive interenal bleeding. Today the officer can be seen on the Canadian Blood services commercial talking about the importance of giving blood.

I'm not certrain if the officer is back on modified duties yet, however he will never return to full work capacity again.

As a copper and a regular blood donor, my heart sort of skips a beat every time I see that commercial (it kind of tugs at the heart strings - no pun intended). I hope the Calgary copper comes out of this okay. When York Regional P.C. Doug Tribbling was shot during a B&E in 1984, the Red Cross put out an urgent appeal for his blood type. Even though I had just given the week prior, I drove to York Central Hospital and lied so I could donate again. On my way to the hospital the flags at 2 District station in Richmond Hill were at full mast, but on my way back to work after donating they'd been lowered to half mast.

Not a good day after that....

(Sorry to hijack your thread about SD_SC1 and her driving but I feel rather strongly about this topic)
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Rook

Postby Rook » Wed May 23, 2007 11:58 pm

Bald Man wrote:About 3 years one of our officers was driving through an intersection on the green when an impaired driver blew the red t-boing the cruiser. The officers car was hit with such force the officer's aorta detached from his heart causing massive interenal bleeding. Other officers arrived on scence and the driver was arrested as he tried to blend in the with the crowd. The officer required heart surgery to repair is damaged heart and internals. He was very fortunate to survive.

Today the officer can be seen on the Canadian Blood services commercial talking about the importance of giving blood.

In high speed collisions, it's very common for the aorta to tear away from the heart. I hope this isn't the case with the Calgary officer.

I went to OPC with CE. I was shocked to see him on the CBS commercials and this is the first I've heard of what happened to him. I'm glad he survived because he is quite possibly one of the funniest guys I've met.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 am

Since this thread has been brought back up, is there any update on how the officer is recovering?