Do LEOs value Security personel?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Re: Do LEOs value Security personel?

Postby Simplimatics » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44 pm

KJC33 wrote:I've had contractor's at the hospital refuse to show me ID when I asked them for it, just to do my due diligence. Which they refused, so I simply told them than I don't have to allow you access to your job site. It's a courtesy, I just want to ensure they are who they say they are. It should come as common sense/knowledge and the vast majority of the younger generation of Security Guards want to, at some point, become Police Officers.

But again, hearing these stories doesn't surprise me! Which is why I strong believe the Security Industry won't evolve into something more. Ie, taser, contracted as Special Constables, etc.

Don't get me wrong I truly believe that Healthcare Security is the best experience if you want to get into policing, and the small percentage of us that take it serious and want to progress get over shadowed by stories like this!

For the security industry to go a long way, the standards and training have to increase. Plus, the salaries and appropriate legislation have to go with it. There are good people in the contract security industry, but the lower your standards, the crappier the applicants you will attract.
Provincial Peace Officer
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse
Simplimatics
Grand Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 am

+1 to Simplimatics' post.

Training is key to any job.
Employers should give their staff ample training and tools to succeed. Staff are their investment and their job performance outcomes will be the reward.
Unfortunately, many security companies focus on filling positions quickly instead of carefully. So the training is insufficient and the worker is a simply a warm body.
KCCO.
mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby noanykey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 pm

mack_silent wrote:+1 to Simplimatics' post.

Training is key to any job.
Employers should give their staff ample training and tools to succeed. Staff are their investment and their job performance outcomes will be the reward.
Unfortunately, many security companies focus on filling positions quickly instead of carefully. So the training is insufficient and the worker is a simply a warm body.

+10 to mack's post.

When the festival season starts here in BC, craigslist is swamped with job postings looking to hire any security, they have to fill the contracts. I stay away from them like the plague. If my backup involves someone who is going to run away from confrontation, no thank you.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
Active SAR Member
Station 5 - Crescent Beach
noanykey
Veteran Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:13 pm

That's a smart decision to stay away from those companies.

Many years ago, I found a similar online job posting for event security.
The company hiring didn't strike me as competent, so I decided not to work for them.
Weeks after the event, I found out they were investigated and fined for multiple ministry violations.
KCCO.
mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby Shawshank » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 pm

mack_silent wrote:That's a smart decision to stay away from those companies.

Many years ago, I found a similar online job posting for event security.
The company hiring didn't strike me as competent, so I decided not to work for them.
Weeks after the event, I found out they were investigated and fined for multiple ministry violations.

Was it aeroguard?
Each day I don't move further towards my goal is a day that I have squandered.
My time will come.
Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Shawshank wrote:Was it aeroguard?

I can't remember the name, but they were covering the Charlie Sheen tour event.
They got multiple infractions for unlicensed guards / uniform violations.
KCCO.
mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 am

Simplimatics wrote: but the lower your standards, the crappier the applicants you will attract.

I agree 100 %. I ticketed a few Security Guards on their way to/from work in the last year. Most of them were using a UPass illegally (and lying about being the R/O) and one was illegally using his wife's disability pass. The one using his wife's pass tried to hide the fact he was using it with slight of hand and then trying to claim it was his name on the pass. He was NOT happy that he was ticketed and the pass seized. All these guys were wearing their uniforms. Imagine how that looked :roll: There are also some really good people in the Private Security industry. I think the Private Security Industry could be good with proper screening of applicants and proper wages/benefits.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.
Boxer Dogs
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ShadowBrooks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 am

I had a coworker man handle me into a private room in a hospital. I reported this issue and he had it out with the field manager I'm surprised he was not fired. His entire defense to taking me out, was that I reported too quickly to an incident and that his fat butt cant walk that quickly so we should go slow as a team (whilst nurses are being shit kicked). This individual also tried to create site policy that was different than the entire health authority (eg. we do not look for missing patients as its a waste of time).

I'm sure hes still working there and got a raise for being a warm enough body, I decided to go elsewhere and with that a pension plan.
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.
ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby Simplimatics » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I worked at a few hospitals and had my share of "interesting" security staff. But, if there was anyone who stood out in my mind, it was a woman who was completely useless during Code Whites, RCMP drop-offs and any other issues that may have gone hands-on. She would show up and just stand there and watch while nursing staff, other security personnel and/or police were wrestling with patients or other non-compliant persons - visitors, family, etc.

During training, when she went through the Code White and CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training, she frustrated the instructors by refusing to go hands on and learn something. The instructors actually had to make her get involved with the course material. Her belief was no one would ever hit a woman, she was awfully naive for someone in her 40's. I don't even remember how she passed the courses. I also have no idea how she lasted as long as she did (just a little under a year).
Last edited by Simplimatics on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Provincial Peace Officer

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse
Simplimatics
Grand Poobah

Postby Shawshank » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Simplimatics wrote:I worked at a few hospitals and had my share of "interesting" security staff. But, if there was anyone who stood out in my mind, it was a woman who was completely useless during Code Whites, RCMP drop-offs and any other issues that may have gone hands-on. She would show up and just stand there and watch while nursing staff, other security personnel and/or police were wrestling with patients or other non-compliant persons - visitors, family, etc. During training, when she went through the Code White and CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training, she frustrated the instructors by refusing to go hands on and learn something. The instructors actually had to make her get involved with the course material. Her belief was no one would ever hit a woman, she was awfully naive for someone in her 40's. I don't even remember how she passed the courses. I also have no idea how she lasted as long as she did (just a little under a year).

Perfect. If no one is going to hit a woman, let her go in first.
Each day I don't move further towards my goal is a day that I have squandered.
My time will come.
Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bomani » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:49 am

I'm arriving to the thread late , however, let me ensure you that myself as well as other officers I currently work with do appreciate most security guards. Having worked in 3 municipal police services to date, in 3 different provinces I've had the pleasure of assisting and being provided with assistance from a number of different security guards. We (police) always appreciate a call , or a heads up, or an extra hand with an arrest or even an extra pair of eyes, keeping in mind its within reason. I always make sure to let the security in the area know what's going on if we are responding to a major incident as they are a valuable set of extra eyes.

I'll go out on a limb here now, and some of you may disagree with me, however the most professional and most ''police-service-like'' security gig I've ever had the pleasure of working alongside as a police officer have been the folks at West Edmonton Mall. A great place to gain experience and get to work with the police alot for some valuable networking.

That is all.
Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:10 pm

I've seen well known criminals who frequent cells/ jail working security more then once. And in my security days years ago many many many questionable hires but it's expected as security hires anyone. There is definitely good guys working security out there and they usually don't work it long before they leave to a good agency in law enforcement.
Police :sniper:
Code44
Seasoned Member

Postby allbrancereal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Bomani wrote:I'm arriving to the thread late , however, let me ensure you that myself as well as other officers I currently work with do appreciate most security guards. Having worked in 3 municipal police services to date, in 3 different provinces I've had the pleasure of assisting and being provided with assistance from a number of different security guards. We (police) always appreciate a call , or a heads up, or an extra hand with an arrest or even an extra pair of eyes, keeping in mind its within reason. I always make sure to let the security in the area know what's going on if we are responding to a major incident as they are a valuable set of extra eyes.

I'll go out on a limb here now, and some of you may disagree with me, however the most professional and most ''police-service-like'' security gig I've ever had the pleasure of working alongside as a police officer have been the folks at West Edmonton Mall. A great place to gain experience and get to work with the police alot for some valuable networking.

That is all.

I agree. I see them in action during bourbon st gigs and they come across professional and switched on.

Wish I could say the same about some other mall security guys.
allbrancereal
Seasoned Member

Previous

Return to The Rant